:00_shazam: :00_shazam: Let's Talk About The New Champion of Shazam! :00_shazam: :00_shazam:

Careful about those upcoming thunderstorms.

3 Likes

Hey, if I drown, I drown…

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up on #3’s hidden treasures, @TheCosmicMoth!

I look forward to re-reading your posts about them once #3 makes its Ultra debut.

2 Likes

So many Easter eggs… My only question is if they’re all just cute, little references for obsessives like me or if they are hints about things to come? Probably the former but, until that’s clear, I’ll keep dreaming of the latter.

3 Likes

A thought I’ve had many a time, and not just with regards to exciting and intriguing minutiae in comics, either.

3 Likes

Much like Ms. Marvel books, I love the Shazam books consistently with the new 52 onwards

4 Likes

Not to get OT, but while I like Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel just fine, I vastly preferred her as Ms. Marvel/Warbird.

3 Likes

I just read issue 1, and one thing bugs me- Why is Hoppy so addicted ro junk food. The poor guy will have diabetes.

4 Likes

Maybe he has a super-metabolism?

Maybe he works out a lot?

Hoppy probably hits the gym in the early AM, when its quiet and borderline empty, so as to not draw attention to a rabbit working out on a Schwarzenegger-level.

If nothing else, maybe the powers of Shazam keep him lean.

The Speed Force does that for the Speedsters, so the same could happen for the Shazamily.

3 Likes

Next issue

Darkseid: Somebody save meeeee!!! I don’t care how you do it just save meeee!!!
[Hoppy continues dragging him by his bloody ankles.]

3 Likes

:notes: Hoppy’d kick an ass or two, that’s what Hoppy’d do! :notes:

3 Likes

After looking at it for a while now, I’ve realized that the Jen Bartel variant cover for The New Champion of Shazam #3 reminds me a lot of the cover to Wow Comics #10:

3 Likes

Nice catch.

The thing I was immediately reminded of when I first saw that cover was the Paramount Pictures logo.

3 Likes

It looks a lot like that! So, here’s a funny thing: The Adventures of Captain Marvel film serials were produced by Republic Pictures in 1941. Republic Pictures was eventually bought out by Paramount. Coincidence? Probably! But it is funny.

2 Likes

Given all of the Easter eggs and what have you that are in this series, I think it could be on-purpose.

I mean, if I was writing this series, I’d toss in Easter eggs like that, and I know I’m certainly not the only person that harkens back to things from the past, so…you never know.

2 Likes

Cereal Lord doesn’t lack at the ability to come up with some of those really good, even dare I admit, great slice of life moments between the characters he writes (a classic example of is this lovely moment between Brainy and the Legion of Substitute Heroes from his Superman and the Legion run):

It’s his overall plotting and the contrivances, plot devices and frankly creaky collection of tropes he indulges in to give us those SOL moments that have given me headaches every since Last Son, particularly when I remember that Last Son lead to that excessive New Krypton cross-over (and it often feels like every cross-over Johns has conceptualized since that one was excessive or over-long, and/or worse, lead to things like Grounded).

@Vroom I really enjoyed the art on the mini-series, and I enjoyed some of the ideas in Titans Academy and this mini - plus, I am fully on board with the idea that instead of trying to do long runs, particularly for characters that might not be able to support a printed floppy, that DC should be doing the kinds of mini and limited series it’s been engaging in for the past year or so.

My main problem and it’s why I haven’t engaged with New Champions YET - is that all these reading ended up being wheel spinning and a lot of set-up that hasn’t paid off, in any way shape of form (at least as far as Billy or any other family member).

3 Likes

I agree.

Some comic pundits on YouTube and elsewhere bemoan the frequency of minis we’ve had recently, but to them, I say two things:

:white_circle: 1. Better a mini than nothing at all.

:white_circle: 2. Stop bemoaning and also, stop the click bait BS.

This has been a fun mag, and I look forward to reading #3 when it makes its Ultra debut.

3 Likes

I try to avoid TV and theatrical reaction videos and those that discuss particular issues or particular arcs, and by and large try to avoid YT entirely as far as DC or any other comic book matter goes, save for clips, trailers and DC’s own channels, with a very few exceptions (certain talk shows, etc.). Calling it click bait is too kind (as is referring to them as pundits when shills for themselves is better).

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty much in the same boat.

I check out the official YT DC channels, along with a couple other comic-related channels that offer honest, insightful and level-headed thoughts on current goings-on in comics, and quality, in-depth coverage of noteworthy news when it breaks.

Well, there are a couple channels that I refer to as “A giant pile of :poop: that offers absolutely nothing positive to the comic book fan community and is simply an exercise for its owner to stroke their ego by.”, but yeah, your words work, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

HA! I can literally feel the tears being shed by some angry fan boys at the very moment I read stuff like this…

3 Likes