Let's Talk About DC Compact Comics

DC Announces ‘DC Compact Comics’ | DC

The DC Compact Comics price and sizing is perfect for readers of prose and manga looking to pick up a new-reader-friendly storyline in a self-contained full color graphic novel,” said Anne DePies, SVP & General Manager, DC. “This 5.5" x 8.5" paper cut is the most widely circulated softcover book size in the US and is popular among graphic novel aficionados in international markets. At $9.99, it’s a great price point for retailers to stock these classic titles. For readers, DC Compact Comics deliver a new graphic novel reading experience that fits in the palm of their hands, with no loss of readability.

Looks like a good idea for getting this into the hands of the people who watch the movies and want to learn more. So Let’s Talk About it…

9 Likes

You mean what they have been publishing for decades just under a different title?

3 Likes

Kinda odd they picked WW earth one instead of a better Wonder Woman book

6 Likes

It’s more so about the line, like the story choices, the format and price point and the big question of whether it will work.

3 Likes

I think this could be a good idea but some of the books they chose aren’t the best. Would replace WW: earth one with Historia or maybe the Perez run. I’d also rather they chose another story for Batman instead of hush.

3 Likes

I was thinking Perez WW would have been the better choice too.

Hush I can see, if only, because each issue highlights a different villain and the story is pretty self contained.

3 Likes

Personally, would have chosen Wonder-woman Dead Earth or Wonder Woman: True Amazon.

3 Likes

Bold of them to pick the same small group of books they always promote. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Dc always seems to pick the same five books for this sort of thing. While it’s cool to see stuff like far sector I don’t know if I like the rest of the line up. Haft of these are not really “beginner” friendly. I think there were better options for batman instead of hush, and for all seasons I think is a better starter supes book (even though all star is a better book) Also Wonder Woman earth one is kind of a strange choice.

6 Likes

I think the key phrase is “for readers”. Where is the next generation of readers going to come from? In today’s society does a popular movie even drive book sales? The needle has never moved on comic sales even though the movies make billions.

Harry Potter and Katniss seemed to be popular before the movies came out. I think the problem is more people no longer read for fun. We’re nerds and we read. Will a different format make the general public read more? I don’t think it will make a big difference, but a more portable version could help a little bit.

Back in the 1970s I seemed to have a paperback book on me at all times. I remember people being “amazed” that I had a book in my coat pocket when I attended a wedding reception. Just in case it was a really boring I brought a book. These days you bring a smart phone. Maybe DC should focus on the Korean website/app that more people read worldwide. It seems the Batman Family did well.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. :disappointed:

6 Likes

I do feel like they always use those “evergreen” books that never go out of print every time they launch a new initiative like this. There is probably some sort of sales bump from old fans grabbing the new format of the old material as well.

I guess it comes down to whether the size and price point will grab readers to pick these up at Wal-Mart when they’re grabbing the latest Attack on Titan volume.

3 Likes

I like the idea of this, but I don’t understand the books chosen. If you are making these books smaller and more affordable, why not make some kid-friendly ones? Even just one? I don’t think any of those titles are for children.

If I see these in stores I might grab one, if I don’t already own the series already. But I do like this as a idea to market comics to a wider audience. I just wish DC had though more about the audience. Or maybe I just don’t understand who reads comics. Which is highly possible. :woman_shrugging:

Either way, cool idea! I look forward to seeing them on shelves eventually!

5 Likes

And a different size more suited to book stores and wider circulation, so guessing they are hoping it will be more accessible to get new readers.

3 Likes

All the trades are perfectly fine for regular book stores. This is just different names. I know how big these are. IF they are actually “compact” it just makes them like those pocket bibles, tiny tiny print that nobody can read without a headache.

Comics for children are failing to compete with the likes of dogmen and newspaper comic collections. That is why almost all DC is rated Teen.

5 Likes

Or a better Earth 1 book. Although yeah, I read Wonder Woman Earth 1 Volume 1 and was underwhelmed. And seriously, just because Wonder Woman was originally written by a closeted bondage aficionado doesn’t mean they needed to Focus on THAT.

It could also make it availiable in more places. Who knows their full plan, but a book that size could easily be sold in places like pharmacies and the like, even grocery stores that don’t carry comics much anymore. Hell, they sound similar in size to the Archie Digest comics, which seem to be the only comics I ever see for sale in grocery stores anymore. So could see this being successful if the plan is to increase places comics become available. And as they say 9.99 is a good price point, because part of what is likely hurting sales of physical copies is the price tag. The average price of trades is not especially chap which would make casual readers or people not heavily into comics scared off.

The article says 5.5" x 8.5 which is slightly larger than a mass market paperback. So it is basically the size of a “normal” book. And at 9.99 it is more affordable, and regular trades are only gettin more expensive. If someone is not an avid comic fan but has a casual interest or just wants to try it out 9.99 is a much better price point to draw them in I would think.

4 Likes

So it is just selling books at a cheaper price? Books that are some of the easiest ones to find at a friend’s house or the library for somebody who wants to read them.

3 Likes

It was kind of key to the concept. If you read through Marston’s Golden Age Wonder Woman stories, they are centered around concepts of domination and submission. But there were two kinds. There was the domination of man’s world which was fed by violent concepts of competition and humiliation. Then there was the domination of the Amazons which was predicated on a willing submission to peace and love. As strange as the concept was, it was pretty boldly feminist for the time period as Marston obviously felt the world would be better run by women. It’s honestly so unique in concept and so genuine in its aims of trying to build a better world that it’s my favorite material from the Golden Age.

Morrison was trying to channel that, the original concept, in Wonder Woman: Earth One. So, I do really like that book as well.

3 Likes

That’s a really good point. Reading seems to be less and less “in style”

3 Likes

Not a big fan of this so far. I think @AlexanderKnox summed up my problem quite well :point_down::

I do have to say though, the one standout book to me is The Trail of the Catwoman. That’s a well made comic made by two guys you can tell take comics seriously as an art form, that I don’t see DC promoting that often, or at least a lot less often than the others.

5 Likes

Love the idea, I’ll definitely be buying some of these.

4 Likes