Let’s Talk About Wesley Dodds: The Sandman

THE GOLDEN AGE SANDMAN RETURNS IN A NEW NOIR MYSTERY! No one escapes the Sandman’s dark dreams, not even Wesley Dodds himself. After years of testing and experimentation, Wesley perfected his sleep gas as the optimal weapon to fight crime without causing undue harm. But when his journal detailing all his failed and far more deadly formulas is stolen, the Sandman must hunt down the thief and the people in the shadows pulling the strings before the contents of the journal are released!

8 Likes

This sounds like it will be good! I love Wesley Dodds.

4 Likes

I love Wesley and Robert Venditti is one of my fave writers that DC has working right now.

5 Likes

I’m so excited for this book!

3 Likes

Smallville gave him a cameo appearance, after seeing him in the episode I wish they didn’t kill him off so early, I wanted to see more of him. :slightly_smiling_face:
Can’t wait to read the new comic since I like anything in Noir stuff!

4 Likes

If you have not read the Vertigo series…you should. It was some of the best stuff DC was publishing.

5 Likes

This is 100% true. Everyone should go and read Sandman Mystery Theatre, all 70 Issues plus the Annual and Sandman Midnight Theatre one-shot.

6 Likes

I have to agree. It’s one of the best things to come out of Vertigo.

4 Likes

i liked this story but wasnt a fan of the art when the mask was off of sandman
is this an ongoing or a mini ?

3 Likes

Mini. Someone can check me but I believe it’s 6 issues.

4 Likes

thanks

3 Likes

Sandman is awesome. Can’t wait to pick this up. He was one of the redeeming parts of knight terrors for me

7 Likes

Back from reading #1.

I really liked it. Robert Venditti always writes a great story and the art was much better than I expected.

7 Likes

@wrrrryyyy12 @chintzybeatnik 6 issues

5 Likes

Really, really dug this first issue. Great atmosphere in art and writing, and exciting setup for an adventure! I’m curious whether it will connect to any of the other Wesley Dodds adventures and JSA stuff going on right now, but this first issue felt pretty self contained!

6 Likes

Hold up. Sandman was in Smallville? What episode?

5 Likes

Season 9, Episode 11: “Absolute Justice”

4 Likes

Finally read the first issue and it’s pretty good! I feel like we should have more mini-series that go back to the 40s and do re-introductions of various Golden Age characters. These characters have been in and out of existence for the last few years, it would be good to re-establish them. Anyway, the story starts off solid and with an intriguing mystery.

The only other thing to talk about right now is the art. I don’t know the artist’s name, but I recognize their work from other books. Honestly, this is one art style that is really hit-or-miss with me depending on the story and characters being used. For right now, it is working for me

5 Likes

The artist is Riley Rossmo, and yeah, he’s been on a few DC projects, including Batman/Shadow, Harley Quinn, and most recently Tim Drake: Robin. He worked really well in the first two, but not so much the latter. I do think he’s a great fit for Sandman, though, really enjoying this story so far.

4 Likes

I’ve been arguing forever that the JSA or the ASS should return to their WWII roots and have their stories all set in that era. But publishers seem to be adverse in printing Nazi symbology even if they are the bad guys.

3 Likes