Let’s Talk About Anything DC

anyone wonder, who in Batmans’ rouge gallery, is actually afraid of him?

6 Likes

All of them fear me.

6 Likes

It’s crazy how well AI technology is working with emulating voices these days.

I have fun watching these videos because for most of them they are funny and creative, but the other half of me is thinking how utterly fascinating it really is to hear a imitation done so well.

It’s rough but look at this amazing thing the technology can do with creating audio stories with characters like Batman whose voice emulates the iconic Kevin Conroy here.

It’s a concerning technology as it can be abused, but to think sometime in the future how it would be used by fans and even the publisher themselves. God the possibilities are amazing and terrifying all at once.

3 Likes

So tonight I was doing what I do best, which is overthink Tim Drake. Tonight the topic my brain chose to focus all energy on was the different personalities of Tim. In the many years since his introduction, I feel like Tim has had a lot of weird random characterizations in ways that not a lot of different characters have, at least from what I’ve read. It’s hard to put into words but I’m going to do my best because I feel like sharing my certified 12 AM basicallytimdrake rambling.
So, y’know, Tim’s showed up in quite a few things in his time and depending on the particular comic/show/movie his personality has shifted a bit and even though there’s a few general things about him that stay the same, some things change a lot and if you were to compare some iterations of Tim they wouldn’t even feel like the same character if you didn’t know it was. Like, look at Tim in his 2009 Red Robin run, and then look at him in like, Batman Unlimited. They’re like 2 different people. Some versions of him are fairly similar, but no matter how oddly different he appears in the different media, he’s still Tim. Even Batman: the Animated Series Tim, which is basically just Jason with a tiny bit of a Tim-esque backstory, it’s still Tim because that’s what DC’s told us and because I personally am emotionally attached to that scruffy little kid version of Tim. Sometimes Tim is just a fun-loving young teen who’s smart and loves being Robin and is holding at least semi-healthy relationships and not experiencing too much trauma, and sometimes he’s gone off the deep end and he’s a globetrotting angsty dude who’s doing what he does best which is cut off people and slowly explode internally. Sometimes he’s just a kid, sometimes he’s an old man who quit being Robin after being psychologically and physically tortured by the Joker in a universe that isn’t even part of the current canon so it shouldn’t matter but it matters to me because it shatters my heart.
And aside from all of these many versions, inside my brain lives a Timothy Jackson Drake that is similar in ways to every version of him that’s been published by DC so far yet in several ways much different because of my opinions on who he should be and what I think he should be like, as I pick and choose what parts of his history actually happened according to me and what fanfictions that I read on Ao3 at 4 am fit into my personal canon. Depending on my mood at the moment or what I have currently read or watched, the Tim In My Brain™ may be fairly chill and just vibing but sometimes he’s the insane disaster 09 Red Robin.
I do not know how coherent this is and I have like 58 more things I could have said but I am tired and I started writing this a week ago and have just been continuously adding to it as my brain figures our how to spit out more of my nonsense. I don’t think I did a very good job getting my point across but I wish to be done with this so I’m posting it.

4 Likes

Hey @basicallytimdrake! This wasn’t specific enough! Care to elaborate? LMFAOOO

3 Likes

I know that was a pretty vague example sorry if you couldn’t get the reference lmao

4 Likes

My least favorite are future stories where Tim Drake becomes Batman and uses guns.

Tim Drake somehow ending up a brutal pragmatist and killer seems like a strange characterization but it’s oddly consistent from different writing teams.
Even how Tim Drake feels about being Batman is dead on.

What’s up with that?

4 Likes

Yeah the first time I saw Tim in a comic was in Supersons and in that he was the future psycho killer Batman which is part of why I hated him so long

4 Likes

I wonder what this is…

9 Likes

Lol

6 Likes

:fire:

6 Likes

Today I sat down for my biweekly viewing of Return of the Joker and as I watched it, and the flashback scene that depresses me to no end drew nearer, I realized that this movie has become one of my comfort movies in a really weird maybe slightly unhealthy way. Sure, I can never watch it and remain feeling okay, but the horrible terrible nightmarish way it makes me feel is a very specific kind of pain that I am now very used to. I can rewatch it, feel sad, be not okay for a few hours, and then get over it, and this is a process I go through roughly every other week. I’m used to it. And when I don’t rewatch it, I still think about it, and relive the pain anyways. I rewatch it about as often as I rewatch my favorite movies, but I still hate RoTJ with a passion. It’s just a part of my life now, and I can’t imagine just quitting watching it. It’s strange, I know, but this is just what I was thinking about a lot today and I wanted to share ig

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I haven’t watched that movie in a long time… thinking now maybe I should

4 Likes

I’m this close to locking John Constantine in a room where the rest of the DC Universe can’t find him :pinching_hand: :pinching_hand: :pinching_hand:

4 Likes

Me too, I think it’s an interesting take on the character. Also, I think modern writers of Hal kind of have this issue where they’re trying to force him to act like his young self despite the fact that because of everything he’s gone through he’s just not that person anymore. If it was up to me I’d lean into this and give Hal a full mid life crisis because I like to see him suffer. But I do think DC needs to let him grow up, narratively speaking

4 Likes

I’m taking away DC’s Constantine privileges until they learn to take responsibility for him

5 Likes

Can I shut his brain off?

Please.

6 Likes

I just read a thing about the scene in Hellblazer Original Sins where John Constantine hallucinates his ideal self, and he’s wearing the blue suit, he’s clean-shaven and has his hair neatly combed. And they were saying how like. John is in fact a person that cares a lot about the way he looks and puts a lot of care and pride into his appearance, and he looks like such a wreck most of the time not out of choice but because he’s been beaten down by addiction, poverty, and mental illness.

Anyway

Ouch

7 Likes

Looking back, she’s honestly the worst part about B&R. The others are not…great, but lol but still kinda fun and entertaining. She is just annoying. She exists to say ‘how dare you exploit Alfred’ or to give Ivy some kinda feminist tirade. She’s like Lisa Simpsons, ‘***** no one asked!’

5 Likes

I think what’s really cool and I’m glad that DC editorial hasn’t noticed just yet is that infinite frontier and Dawn of DC is quietly establishing legacy heroes in the background.

As beside a possible pregnant Selina Kyle in the future hinted in Justice society. We also have Wally West and Linda West’s future child being already declared a speedster. And Clark and Lois adopted phaelosian children; Otho-ra and Osul-Ra being part of the superman family now.

Flash# 788

Action Comics #1051

We also can’t forget Aquaman and Mera child, Andy. While a hero in Future state, is still a baby on earth zero to see her grow up and become that said hero.

Aquaman: The becoming #6

Hopefully they just don’t pull another Johnathan Kent on us, as I much perfer seeing these legacy heroes grow into that role rather than rush into one.

5 Likes