Let’s Flip The DC Tables

The 4-5 times I watched BvS wasn’t normal even for me. But… I really, really tried because I really, really wanted the DCEU to work. After all these years… it still only has like a .500 record…

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

I still have no recollection of this, but your description and that gif gave me a chuckle.

3 Likes

Baseball players would kill for a batting average that high :joy:.

3 Likes

But in football you’d be lucky to make the playoffs with that record. :joy:

2 Likes

I have a BvS one…

Bruce Wayne meets Clark Kent…

I genuinely enjoyed that scene a lot.

I even liked Jesse Eisneberg’s Lex Luthor.

I never once had a problem with him in that role… well, until the third act of movie. Of course, that was the problem with the movie on the whole with me, that third act.

And since I can’t help myself, Ben Affleck is more Superman to me than Henry Cavill. But Ben Affleck is a Batman guy, so he probably would have never done the role even if it was offered.

The the two of them meeting though I thought was really cool.

On a movie that I like… Superman: The Movie.

The third act… again. It’s always the endings.

I’m going to fly at super-speed and reverse the Earth’s rotation and turn back time.

Even 8 year-old me thought that was kind of stupid. :smiling_face:

And to think, Mario Puzo, who did this ending, one of the greatest endings in movie history…

Where Kay asks Michael did he have his sister’s husband killed…

That same Mario Puzo did the Superman: The Movie ending too. Will wonders never cease.

The rest of the movie gold though, obviously.

My list even…

The Batman – the greatest super-hero movie ever made.
Superman: The Movie – second greatest super-hero movie ever made.

I even had Zack Snyder’s Justice League movie up in the number #1 and number #2 positions. But upon further reflection, no, The Batman and Superman: The Movie.

We all make mistakes from time to time. And we correct ourselves and grow from that. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

True. Was just playin’.

Some of us are easier to please than others. I’m a late bloomer when it comes to DC and the comics world, so I tend to not have as critical an eye as most comics fans do. Also, if I’m being perfectly honest, if I’m going to the movies with my kids and paying north of a $100 on tickets and concessions, my hope for a 2-3 hour movie is it will provide thrills & excitement and transport me to a different world. Give me that & I’m (usually) good. TV shows on the other hand, my expectations are a bit different. Thrills and excitement can take a backseat there because it’s a much longer form of storytelling.

That’s just me. Hopefully it’s not viewed as “shallow”, because I do enjoy my share of movies outside of the superhero and action genres :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

You still have a mistake to correct there; I’m sure you will get to it in time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hey, you know me, I’m a critical insect. I wouldn’t call the way you view and enjoy movies “shallow,” though.

When I go into these superhero movies, I try to check my “fanboy” self at the door and judge them for what they are (to, perhaps, varying degrees of success) while keeping in mind that collective universe superhero films are films unlike most others in what they need to do to succeed. Essentially, I try to limit my criticisms to if the movie told a cohesive story while successfully building the greater cinematic universe around it.

Despite the fact that many of us may disagree on the individual movies in question, I don’t think it’s controversial to say that the DCEU hasn’t achieved its overall goals. I’m hopeful that the appointments of Gunn and Safran can turn things around, but, for now, it is what it is.

2 Likes

Or if it even had goals outside of the box office.

Agreed.

2 Likes

Affleck is awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Usually it was because there was nothing else on TV, so it was like “oh look, Batman, what could be worse than this?”

But I think for me it’s because it’s too realistic and depressing at the same time, and it’s just boring and my attention span can’t stay on focus. I know the Al Ghuls were in the trilogy… but I couldn’t tell you what they did, and that’s coming from someone who knows those characters from the comics.

4 Likes

Least favorite: probably a tie between Birds of Prey ATFEOOHQ and WW84. While the movies have issues for me, I really enjoyed the scores (soundtrack) of these movies.

Favorite: maybe BvS and ZSJL. Hmmm… maybe Zack Snyder bit off a bit more than he could chew. Idea wise at least. ZSJL for example has sooooo much going on with a ton of different threads to follow. Or maybe I’m just disappointed that nothing is (probably) going to be followed up on.

5 Likes

Haha, same. Still wish we got Billy Dee Two-Face in live action!

5 Likes

As with others, there’s plenty I haven’t watched because it holds no interest for me, so I have no idea if there would be anything I like about it. Always willing to be pleasantly surprised. But, in the spirit of the thing…

I tend not to do the boolean loved it / hated it thing, because entertainment is a spectrum, but I’ll do my best to pick the far ends of my preference list…

Least favorite:

• Green Lantern was a huge disappointment in so many ways. (Mostly because I had built myself up to be soooo excited to see it, but still…) While the effects weren’t amazing and the use of GL constructs lame, I did really enjoy the way they portrayed alien species (Tomar-Re, Kilowog, et al). In the comics, we fill in human details that aren’t there, but aliens would looks too cartoonish if rendered straight-from-the-page. So that was nice. I also loved Mark Strong’s Sinestro.
  • Man of Steel is also in my trash pile, but I really enjoyed Michael Shannon’s Zod. (And, in watching the PBS behind the scenes, he seems to have been the only person on set who understood the characters involved. Kind of wished they let him direct.)

Favorites:

• I guess Doom Patrol is my favorite right now. My only complaints are really the roads not traveled. Specifically, I wish we got more time and depth with Crystal Palace instead of her just being a prop to write Dorothy off the show. I loved their adaptation of Charles and Edwin … just feel like Crystal got the short straw.
  • I also adore Wonder Woman, but can’t think of a complaint about it. However, unlike many, I really enjoyed WW84 as well, but my gripes (aside from the obvious rapeydiana bit) are really just the CGI physics (or lack thereof) and lack of Etta. (Lucy Davis is awesome.) I have no qualms about the year old Minor Threat flyer from a show in Florida being hung in an alleyway in DC…their universe is not our universe. I would really have preferred that they used the 80s to tell a Doctor Cyber story, and saved Max Lord for Y2k (and am still hoping for a 60s story with a powerless kung fu Diana), but that’s complaining about a movie that wasn’t made, not a gripe with the film.

Not directly related, but tangential topic: movies that were far less bad than reviews and word-of-mouth would have me believe.

• Dawn of Justice - I was really expecting trash, but aside from a few obvious victims of editing (like Lois’ ESP and Bruce placing a tracker on a truck he’s about to destroy), it was pretty enjoyable.
  • Jonah Hex - didn’t see this until years after it came out, but really the only bad bit was Megan Fox. Lilah was obviously supposed to have echoes of Tallulah Black, but I really have no idea why she was even in the movie. It screeched to a halt every time she showed up.
  • Constantine - on rewatching, it wasn’t as good as I recalled the first time I watched it, but still enjoyed it. Obviously Keanu isn’t a comic-accurate Constantine, but if you can see past that, its clear he loves the character and wanted to do it justice. The lingering straight-from-the-page shots are really masterful cinematography, even if the film isn’t a masterpiece.
3 Likes

My answers:

• I stopped watching Legends of Tomorrow because of how badly the Season 2 finale fouled up the Arrowverse timeline, but the one thing that convinced me to still buy the DVDs is the addition of Matt Ryan to the cast and the decision to at least partially resolve storylines from NBC’s Constantine series

• One of the only mistakes that the writers of Supergirl made was clumsily abandoning the Kara/James romance that most of Season 1 had been setting up

2 Likes