[Legion Fan Club] 8/19/23 Reading: LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #5-6

Welcome to another session of the [Legion Fan Club], 4 years 4 months of [Legion Fan Club] fun now, as we continue our quest to read all of Legion tales digitized on DC Universe Infinite…one issue at a time!

August 19th 2023 Reading: LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #5-6.

Click on blurs below to go to the issues (blurred to prevent spoilers, these are only 19 year old tales after all):

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #5 (April 2005)

@MarkWaid , Writer Barry Kitson, Pencils

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #6 (March 2005)

Mark Waid, Writer Art Thibert, Barry Kitson, Pencils

1. Are you liking the Ultra Boy mystery?

2. Terra Firma are a pretty powerful team of villains. Which Legion villain teams are your favorites to read about?

3. Issue 6 has part of a fan letter from our recently-deceased Legion Fan Club member Kevin Oyer, be sure to read it please.

Please share any favorite panels / front pages from this time around!

We’ll plan to do this again in a few weeks with next Legion reading!

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions, our private Discord channel and our archives, click here: Legion Fan Club!

We are also planning a Watch Along late September, stay tuned for more details!

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

3 Likes

A very formidable foe this time around!

3 Likes

They’re no Fatal Five, but the issues do a good job of conveying the danger of the threat, and the scenes with Projectra remind me of Alderaan.

I had forgotten about the letter columns. Those were fun.

5 Likes
  1. Well has an interesting premise, Rouge powers, time will tell. Actuall, when I originally read this, I enjoyed it immensely.
  2. Fatal Five for me.
  3. Thanks for pointing out Kevis letter.
5 Likes

First off, whenever I see something like “live fast, die young,” this song pops into my head.

Now, onto the questions:

1. Are you liking the Ultra Boy mystery?

It’s interesting – Ultra Boy’s powers have been one of the more unique ones in the Legion because of his having to choose which one is active (kind of reminds me of an organic, toned down of Amazo, now that I think about it), so I’m curious to see where that goes.

1. Terra Firma are a pretty powerful team of villains. Which Legion villain teams are your favorites to read about?

Hmm…well, the Fatal Five are basically their big villains. The Legion of Super-Villains I think work a little better because there’s a little more drama to them, what with having one of the Legion’s brothers as one of the founding members, and how they’re involved in Karate Kid’s death back in the day.

Honestly, I don’t know if villains were ever the Legions’ strong suit, and I feel like that might be a reason why they’ve had problems being more prominent in recent years.

1. Issue 6 has part of a fan letter from our recently-deceased Legion Fan Club member Kevin Oyer, be sure to read it please.

I did read that, that was a a fun few pages – it’s not uncommon to see letters columns use the voices of characters to answer the mail, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them draw it out like this. I can see why it’s rare – you wouldn’t be able to do more than one or two letters at a time, and it might feel like a waste to draw it out when the artist could be focused on future issues – but it was novel.

I didn’t realize this was from him. I believe I saw that message on the discord. Truly sad to hear. My condolences to him and his family.

3 Likes