[Legion Fan Club] 7/12/23 Reading: LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #1-2

Welcome to another session of the [Legion Fan Club], 4 years 3 months of [Legion Fan Club] fun now, as we continue our quest to read all of Legion tales digitized on DC Universe Infinite…one issue at a time!

July 12th 2023 Reading: LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #1-2.

Click on blurs below to go to the issues (blurred to prevent spoilers, these are only 19 year old tales after all):

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #1 (December 2004)

Mark Waid Profile - MarkWaid - DC Community , Writer Barry Kitson, Pencils

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (2004-) #2

1. Do you like the relationship between this version of the Legion and the government authorities?

2. The concept of the second issue, being able to see slightly into the future, do you feel that is science or mysticism, possible or magical?

3. What parts so far of the 2004 / 2005 Legion do you love so far? Which parts are you not a fan of?

Please share any favorite panels / front pages from this time around!

We’ll plan to do this again in a few weeks with next Legion reading!

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions, our private Discord channel and our archives, click here: Legion Fan Club!

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

Long Live the Legion

5 Likes

I’m thinking of our recently-departed Legion pal Kevin Oyer as I post this. He had a letter mentioned in one of this Legion series’ issues.

5 Likes

Cool to finally read this era – while I feel like my love for the Legion really started with Geoff Johns’ “Superman & The Legion of Super-Heroes” arc in Action Comics, I do have specific memories of reading trades of this era of Legion in my local library when I was in my teens. I think I remember liking them well enough, but not much about the stories themselves. So this should be fun! :smiley:

1. Do you like the relationship between this version of the Legion and the government authorities?

I mean, when you think about it, it does feel a lot more realistic. Like, how likely is it that ANY form of police force is going to follow the lead or work with a group of teenagers in bright costumes? That said, I am curious about the how and why the Legion was semi-chummy with the United Planets, since the Science Police (I guess they’re called that in this universe?) are often linked to them.

1. The concept of the second issue, being able to see slightly into the future, do you feel that is science or mysticism, possible or magical?

I mean, most super-powers are science in the most generous of terms, but…I mean, I guess the idea of the commandos being able to fight by seeing their opponent’s next move is sort of similar to someone being able to see their microexpressions to tell what they’re going to do next?

But yeah, it’s basically just fun make-em-ups and you just kinda have to roll with it if you want to have a good time.

1. What parts so far of the 2004 / 2005 Legion do you love so far? Which parts are you not a fan of?

I’m really liking this iteration and vision of the future. This might feel like sacrilige, but I think previous iterations of the Legion’s future can kind of feel a little…generic. But here it feels far more speculative, like there’s some actual thought of what the future would be like other than flying cars and aliens. We don’t get to see a lot of this in these first couple of issues, but it’s interesting to see how a future where all our problems of war and strife has caused humanity to become more isolated and risk-averse.

There’s a great scene in the first issue where you think these two adults are doing a vid-call to each other from very different locations, but we pan out to find they’re in the same room, they’re just far more willing to talk to screens than to each other. It’s one of those things that feels way more of a critique of today’s society than it was when it was published.

Can’t really think of anything that I’m not a fan of yet, at least in these two issues.

5 Likes
  1. Yes and no. I like how Waid set up the Legion as the voice of 31st century youth, but I’m left wondering whether if a true utopia would have a “disaffected youth problem.”
  2. I am going to go with Arthur C. Clark’s third law, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” The Naltorian’s precognitive abilities may seem like magic, but even Brainy doesn’t understand how the Naltorian mind works. That said, I loved seeing B5’s frustration with Dreamy skipping the scientific method and the juxtaposition of their two approaches in the story.
  3. So far, I like the art and the characterizations.
3 Likes

That is actually a bit spooky how near future prophetic that scene was in 2005, great point @Jay_Kay

Arthur C. Clark’s third law, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Ok, @Mystery_and_wonder I admit I’ve always wanted to time travel to the far past and wow everyone with current day technology and medicines.

3 Likes

There’s some righteous conversations happening in these threads. Delve in & indulge yourself on some LOSH knowledge u can’t find at the library :books:!!!

2 Likes

Yep it’s time to post the next reading here I believe in the next few hours.

Do you have any other thoughts as we start this up @jihaehae lol?

3 Likes