[Lantern Corps] Green Lantern (2023) #9

Greetings @LanternCorps!

This series of posts is to discuss the latest issues of Green Lantern. This issue can be read here.

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. What was your favorite part?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Are you familiar with Tom Kalmaku?

Previous discussion can be found here

4 Likes

Favoritr part and surprising part was that The Green was helping to protect this secret Lantern Battery. Does that mean this is now powered by Thr Green too?

Also, who IS Tom?

2 Likes

Basically he was Hal’s buddy/sidekick during the silver age, though during that period he had the awful nickname of “Pieface.” In the 80s/90s he kind of got his biggest push as part of the New Guardians, the group/comic that also introduced a lot of other semi-controversial characters like Extrano, Hemo-Goblin, and Snowflame.

If you remember the Ryan Renolds movie, Tom was in the movie, played by Taika Watiti.

2 Likes

Uh, I think you mean semi-controversial plus the universally PRAISED character known as SNOWFLAME

2 Likes
What was your favorite part?

I really liked the short story with J-Cruz. Was not expecting her to be a double agent, but I’m totally here for it.

Was anything surprising to see?

Was not expecting Tom to show up, much less be ordered by a guardian to guard an Oan battery on Earth.

Are you familiar with Tom Kalmaku?

I’ve been reading through Silver Age GL (currently on issue 22) so I’m relatively familiar with him as “Pieface, Hal’s Alaskan grease-monkey friend”. It’s really cool to see him go from Hal’s mechanic and sole person that knows his secret identity, to one of the New Guardians trusted by a Guardian of the Universe.

1 Like
  1. What was your favorite part?

I think it was finally getting Hal back to space and really jump-starting the Oa plot. Don’t get me wrong, having a GL on Earth doing Earth stuff was a nice change of pace and Earth should be touched on every once in a while, but…GLs just got to be able to go to space.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

Jessica being a double agent was a surprise. Hell, it was a surprise to see her in the Green again in general – was there a story where she went back to the Green?

1. Are you familiar with Tom Kalmaku?

Mildly – like I said earlier, I know him mostly from some of the more…unfortunate aspects of GL publishing history, but it was nice to see him come in and just be a cool character in a good story.

2 Likes