[Lantern Corps] Green Lantern (2023) #1

Greetings @LanternCorps!

This series of posts is to discuss the latest issues of Green Lantern. This issue can be read here.

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. What was your favorite part?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Is there anything you are excited to see in upcoming issues?
  4. Are you familiar with Dark Crisis?

Previous discussion can be found here

6 Likes

Overall, this is a minimal but good first issue of a new Green Lantern book. Nothing much really happens in either story. We see Hal try and adjust to life back on Earth, his reuniting with Carol is off to a usual rocky start. The backup for John Stewart arguably gives us less to work with - John has some one-on-one with family and we have a flash-forward that teases a villain hunting for Stewart. But since I’m familiar with these characters and enjoy them so much, I still eagerly want more

2 Likes

What was your favorite part?

Probably the drone piloting. Love how the younger pilots really framed Hal’s recklessness.

Was anything surprising to see?

I’m not entirely sure when this issue came out in relation to the Emerald Knight #1 issue. It’s kinda weird to see John’s story here when that issue seems to already be past it.

Is there anything you are excited to see in upcoming issues?

Hal came out of the gate pretty cocky, which he always does. Looking forward to him getting knocked down a few pegs. He tends to do the most insane things when he’s at his lowest.

Are you familiar with Dark Crisis?

Actually just finished reading it. Didn’t remember anything about the guardians being wiped out.

2 Likes
  1. What was your favorite part?

I think a big thing I liked about it was how much of a back-to-basics, Earth based book it was. While Morrison’s trippy trip through the multiverse and Throne’s more hard sci-fi take had their merits, I liked that we were doing a more intimate, character focused takes on not just Hal, but John as well in the back-ups.

Also really liked the art in this issue, especially the Hal segment by Xermanico.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

I don’t know if “surprising” is the right way to put it, because I do remember seeing this in the marketing leading up to the launch, but I’m definitely intrigued by Sinestro slumming it on Earth. Really curious to see where that story is going to go.

1. Is there anything you are excited to see in upcoming issues?

I’m curious to see what it was that caused Earth to be quaranteened and how Hal and John quit the Corps – if it is just that Earth is full of crazy crap that threatens the multiverse, or if there’s more to it.

I’m also curious to see how the Hal and Carol dynamic evolves. Now, I have read issue 2 so this kind of colors my thoughts, but I feel like it’s a dynamic that can still work…but man, Hal’s really gotta calm the flip down. It’s one thing to ask her for a job again, but what happens in the next issue is…honestly kinda creepy.

1. Are you familiar with Dark Crisis?

Oh yeah, I read through the main series – now so much the tie-ins, though I do intend on reading through all of them at some point in the near future (there’s just so much stuff to read, man). I liked it, overall – it kinda felt like a redux of Infinite Crisis and there’s some stuff that just felt nonsensical and not in the fun way, but there was still some great moments and I liked that it was an event where it wasn’t just Bruce, Clark and Diana taking charge and that it let some of DC’s legacy heroes have some great moments to shine.

1 Like