[Lantern Corps] Blackest Night - Week 10 [8/03 - 8/10]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Blackest Night. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Which did you like more, Superman/Batman or R.E.B.E.L.S.?
3 Likes

Loved the monster mashup from Superman/Batman. Was not expecting to see Frankenstein with a flaming sword or his bride with 4 arms, but I enjoyed all of it.

R.E.B.E.L.S. was a good issue, lot’s of introducing who is who, which I can appreciate since I’m not familiar with any of them. It did make me excited to continue with the issues coming next week.

Between the two, I think I enjoyed Superman/Batman more simply because it had more cool panels and the idea of Solomon Grundy as a Black Lantern is terrifying.

Brainiac 2 join the sinestro cops?!!

1 Like

Even Bizzaro’s emotion colors are opposite than they should be. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes
  • Was anything surprising to see?

Just how much of a DICK Vril Dox was. I mean, okay, I can kind of understand lobotomizing his son if he really was that much of a threat to the greater universe. But, abandoning and then murdering the mother of his child with his own robot army? He makes Brainiac 5 look like a warm and fuzzy teddy bear in comparison.

Also, the tweaking of Starro the Conqueror is rather interesting. It seems like a good way to make the villain more intimidating and give him some more depth, but…I dunno, I just like the big stupid starfish better.

• Which did you like more, Superman/Batman or R.E.B.E.L.S.?

Hmm…S/B utilized the story elements of BN better, but wasn’t really all that interesting to read. R.E.B.E.L.S was more interesting, but the Blackest Night stuff felt more like an afterthought. I might have ot leave this one out since it’s hard to judge with just one issue of R.E.B.E.L.S.

1 Like

Same here. For some reason, Starro in my mind is like a more “could-actually be-a-threat” version of Mark Chang from Fairly Odd Parents.

1 Like

I don’t really follow that show, but I think I get what you’re saying. In thinking about it more, it actually kind of lessens his potential for horror being a dude. I think you can do some creepy stuff with Starro as is, maybe have him look less like an obvious starfish and more like a large, unknowable Eldrich entity, and focus on the “possessed by starfish to the face” thing.

It also feels like a bit of a copy of what Geoff Johns did with Brainiac around that same time during his run on Action Comics.

1 Like