[Lantern Corps] Alan Scott: The Green Lantern #2

Greetings @LanternCorps!

This series of posts is to discuss the latest issues of Green Lantern. This issue can be read here.

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. What was your favorite part?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Any thoughts on who the killer might be?

Previous discussion can be found here

7 Likes

I think this issue did a good job regarding capturing that mindset for people living in that time period that Alan lived in, regarding trying to live who they are even if it didn’t fit the mainstream and the harsh consequences that followed. A lot of heartbreak.

Also, I heard there was an Alan Scott short story in one of DC’s Pride anthokogies that the first issue kinda connected with. Cany anyone point me to the right one?

6 Likes

I got’chu.

4 Likes

Much like the first issue, it’s hard to say there’s a “favorite” part because of the heavy subject matter. One of the bright moments within Alan’s time at Arkham, Bllie, was definitely a highlight in the issue, which makes it all the more heartbreaking when we see what happens to her. The escape that it inspired was a good cathartic moment, though.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

It was more surprising to me after the fact, but hearing from other people, I was surprised to see just how faithful to the original story this book has been, especially in this issue. For example, Billie or “Billings” was in the very first Green Lantern story, All-American Comics #16 as a mental patient who fashioned what we would later find out is the Starheart into a trainyard lantern. And while Johnny was made for this series, Jimmy and the whole story of Dekker sabotaging the train is also from that first story.

It’s clear that writer Tim Sheridan did his homework on Alan’s history and has gone through great lengths to try to fit all this new story into the fabric of his old one, which is great to see, as it makes it feel that much more valid.

1. Any thoughts on who the killer might be?

I mean, it’s definitely making us assume that it’s this Red Lantern, who is almost surely Johnny Ladd – to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised if that turns out to be a red herring. Erm, no pun intended.

4 Likes

Probably Billie. Great character.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

I suppose I wasn’t expecting Alan to die.

1. Any thoughts on who the killer might be?

I’m guessing one of his exes, corrupted by some evil macguffin.

1 Like

1) What was your favorite part?

I don’t know if I would call it my favorite part, but the accurate characterizations of that time period and the stresses and fears that gay people were living with at that time stood out to me.

2) Was anything surprising to see?

As someone who’s not familiar with the characters, I was surprised to see the friendship between Alan and Derby. I know that tolerant people have always been in the history of the LGBT community, but to see this friendship portrayed in this time period is something that I wasn’t expecting.

3) Any thoughts on who the killer might be?

I’m assuming it’s the Red Lantern.

2 Likes