:renegade_robins: L.A. Outsiders (Feb.)

Outsiders LA

The BatFam packs up and moves to Cali with the Outsiders! Come along as they get a brand-new book (in 1985) for the direct market, not the newsstands!

Give us your thoughts in the comments below! And join the club today!

Schedule: 2024-02-01T06:00:00Z2024-02-29T06:00:00Z

Issues:

I. A Tiny, Deadly War
Adventures of the Outsiders #33-35

II. Welcome to L.A.
Adventures of the Outsiders #36-38

III. Nuclear Fears
The Outsiders #1, 2

IV. Chasing the Dollar
The Outsiders #3-4

V. A Christmas Carol – 1985
The Outsiders #5

Thanks for stopping by for this month’s content, @RenegadeRobinsClub!

3 Likes

So I’ve gotta comment on these stories:

I. A Tiny, Deadly War

When the final issue of the arc is entitled “Sympathy for the Fuhrer,” you know you’re in for something that hasn’t aged well! Years before Superman: At Earth’s End gave us twin clones of You Know Who, Adventures of the Outsiders revealed that if you only make one clone, he may have a change of heart in the end. Perhaps there’s something noble about Barr wanting to give one of history’s greatest monsters a tiny opportunity to repent (or maybe he just wanted to say that even the 'Dolf himself wouldn’t buy his hate-filled rhetoric if he heard it secondhand), but the Fuhrer doesn’t deserve this benefit of the doubt.

II. Welcome to L.A.
This set of issues is very Looker-heavy, and I just can’t figure out what Barr is trying to do with that character. Am I supposed to dislike her? There’s also a plot point about Black Lightning wanting to get back together with his ex-wife that seems a bit odd to me. But hey, you can’t complain too much about the Outsiders fighting an octopus.

III. Nuclear Fears
Here’s the must-read arc for the month. If you’ve seen the Titans series that aired on this very site before it gave up on its dreams of streaming, then you’ve already met the Nuclear Family. Well, that creepily wholesome family unit first appeared here, and what an explosive debut it is!

IV. Chasing the Dollar
This story gets the award for “least-memorable arc of the month.” That’s not to say that it’s bad, but if I want to see superheroes fretting over the production of fiat money, I’ll just watch the Teen Titans Go “gold standard” episode.

V. A Christmas Carol – 1985
One of Barr’s greatest strengths–pastiche–is something that can often lead to one of his greatest weaknesses–contrivance. I’ll leave it up to you if it’s just a little TOO coincidental that these characters have names that are very close to those of the Dickens characters. But hey, this is Barr just doing his Golden Age thing. I would expect nothing less if this were a 1945 comic instead.

3 Likes