Kevin Conroy, Batman, Has Passed Away

I will definitely miss his portrayal of Batman. He was great.

10 Likes

I login just in time to have my heart freshly temple-of-doom’d out of my chest. You’ll always be the voice I hear inside my head whenever reading Batman, Mr. Conroy. Absolute legend.

10 Likes

It’s good to see you here in DCUI again @MasterBruiseWayne. :+1:

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck_cuIhO-ii/

What I meant to post. Sorry, guys. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I always wanted to hear him as the Batman Who Laughs. :cry:

7 Likes

I’ll be totally honest here: This loss didn’t really hit me the way it clearly hit all of you, because I grew up later than his run as Batman. But you’ve all tugged at my heartstrings with your stories, and made me feel a kind of selfish pleasure that since I still haven’t seen so much of his work, there’s so much more of him out there and he’s not really gone yet - Which, of course, is true in a way. I’ll just leave my own little story I have, of the first time that I encountered the DCAU: When I was ten, on a cruise ship with a TV that had like five channels, each of which played three episodes of the same show over and over again. I must have heard Conroy sing “Am I Blue” five times over the four-day cruise, and it was genuinely one of the more memorable moments - and I saw baby huskies in Alaska.

9 Likes

You know, I was at a con recently and saw him from a distance. I was coming to his booth but he was literally leaving as I got there because no one was in line. I could have probably rushed and met him but I thought, ‘he comes just about every year, I’ll catch him next time and thank him for everything.’ I really regret that.

I grew up with Adam West and wasn’t introduced to Conroy until later (through the film Subzero because we didn’t watch much TV). When I heard him he immediately became the definitive Batman for me not just because he perfectly did character’s voice but also because of the care he put into the role and the fans. He knew what it meant to people and cared about the fans.

9 Likes

Nice to see you again @TheBatgirlofNML shame it had to be on such a sad occasion.

8 Likes

Kevin Smith weighs in on Kevin Conroy’s passing here:

8 Likes

:face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

I just started Batman TAS, and HBO Max put this up:

11 Likes

IKR? :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes
8 Likes

Legends never die
RIP Kevin Conroy you were a huge part of my Childhood.

:cry:

10 Likes

So, that musical, the one they rehearsed at his friend’s bedside… Is there any way we could send a search and retrieval mission to Ghost Castle to find the script, or what?

6 Likes

Maybe sometime in the future after enough time has passed, but it’s ultimately still way too soon to be seriously considering this

7 Likes

As much as I enjoy his performance, I’d rather not do that. I’m fine with other performers bringing their own take to the character. And I wouldn’t want his voice without his actual performance to go with it. (Nor do I want someone to attempt to imitate his voice.)

9 Likes

Yeah, even before now, I was okay with other people giving their voices to Batman. Not that I didn’t like hearing him in the role in more recent stuff, or that I don’t get why some people would want him for specific adaptations (“The Killing Joke” movie, for better or worse–* cough *). But we’ve got other good actors to voice the Dark Knight.
Heck, Rino Romano, who I’d previously heard voicing Spider-Man in the PS1 games, did a lot better than I was expecting in “The Batman”.

It’s one thing when the actor is still around, giving their blessing, which is what I think Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones did for recent Star Wars series (Mandalorian, Boba Fett). But posthumously feels–wrong. I get that it’s out of appreciation and love for the actor and the role; it’s totally understandable. But as good as technology can be to replicate the human element, it’ll only ever be a replication. Whether one can identify the detail or not, it’ll lost that human element, which is ultimately what made Kevin Conroy’s performance so impactful and meaningful.

9 Likes

Agreed.

9 Likes

thanks, man :pray: been too long fr and life too rough haha

5 Likes