Justice League Book Club Week 5: The One-Man JLA

says in his best Emperor Palpatine voice

“Give in to your feelings.”

You’re always welcome, Cap! :slight_smile:

@scoop001 Agreed on nothing beating the good 'ol classic Superman. I enjoyed the GL and Thanagarian renditions of him quite a bit.

If you should want more Triangle Era Superman from this time, check out the Triangle Era volume 3 collection in Storylines. It’s packed with super stories!

1 Like

Just read the first two issues.

• Fun romp!
  • Pretty clever way to do what are essentially Elseworld tales, but within what was then current continuity.
  • Funny how the nature vs. nurture theme tends to show up quite a bit in Superman stories.
  • Quite a bit of action of course, I loves me some action in a comic book.
  • Prefer the art in the Rann story more than the OA one… maybe it’s the bold lines.
  • Could have used a few more pages on how Kal got his change of heart after his encounter with Adam Strange.
  • I’m not usually very big on wholesale “alternate looks” for Supes, but these are kinda cool. Like… make a figure set and package it with the story… perfect for display!

Now who is this mysterious dude that kidnapped Kal? Guess I’m about to find out soon enough. Thanagar, here I come!

2 Likes

Ok just finished the thing. Great little nugget; I loved it. Cogito: What a roundabout backwards way to ask for someone’s help :joy:! Always nice to see the league extend their help out to Supes… and the little bit at the end about friends crossing the galaxy for you… precious moment :slightly_smiling_face:.

To answer the discussion questions:

• I have not read this before. Came up in a previous discussion with @Vroom. When he found out I hadn’t read it, he extended me an invite. Thanks again Vroomy. Great pick.

• I don’t know if it was my favorite “version”, but my favorite story was the one on Thanagar. I just really felt with both Kal and Katar in that one… and the writing did a great job of depicting the despicable acts people can commit for power. Nice read.

My only criticism is how short it was. The story needed a little room to breath, especially given the cosmic nature of it. 2 more issues would have benefited it immensely, imo.

Have fun reading folks!

2 Likes

Definitely, nature vs nurture, as well as law and order vs truth and justice. Authoritarian Superman is terrifying. Bless Pa and Ma Kent.

5 Likes

I was planning on just reading one maybe two, with my morning coffee; but ended up tearing through the set. Super fun.
Kyle wants to be a swashbuckling pirate. who knew?
I always like visiting Rann. Alanna and Strange are one of my favorite couples.

It’s also a great reminder to never assume the worst of someone without all the info. You got me there, Cogito.

Thanks for these great recs. Sent me on my day with a smile.

3 Likes

Wonderful! Thank you for checking out the books and joining in on the fun. :clark_hv_4:

2 Likes

As I am reading the first issue, I’m getting a strange Deja Vu feeling… then I realize it’s because the plot line of this particular series is very super similar to the one in an Action Comics early 60s story
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/-/b5d04153-45ce-4927-a15d

…where the Justice League finds a tape that Jor-el made that dropped out of the rocket before the Kent’s found Superman, and they make him sit down and view it.

4 Likes

Al Plastino art. :heart:

When in Metropolis, be sure to dine at Plastino’s. Try the steak! :cut_of_meat:

2 Likes

Oh, no! Superman is trapped in a series of Elseworlds comics! Can the JLA save him in time? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

gives Knox two grants

2 Likes

Also, am I the only one who hoped that the writers really were going to let Adam Strange get eaten by a giant lizard…?

3 Likes

Prolly. I like Adam Strange.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s not that I dislike Adam Strange. There’s just something very…90s Simpsons about doing him in like that. :wink:

3 Likes

'90s Simpsons…:drooling_face:

“She has a new hat!”

2 Likes

dramatic gasp of dramaticness

I was actually able to read/participate this week! Huzzah!

The reading for this week was quite fun, and I really liked the different versions of Superman. It’s the first time I’ve read The One-Man JLA, and I think I liked the Thanagarian Superman the most - I found the story particularly interesting. I did really like Green Lantern Superman as well.

3 Likes

Welcome, Wingz!

The Thanagarian and Oan iterations of Superman were my favorites too. Thanagarians are cool enough as is, but toss Superman into their ranks and they go to 11.

Thanks for flying by! :metal:t2: :clark_hv_4:

2 Likes

I was innocently cruising through the community and saw a new Superman posting, but it’s not Superman it’s JLA! But, still Superman. Like everyone else, I immediately thought to the Silver Age story this resembles. This was a great way to update that idea. I love that no matter where you drop Supes, no matter what circumstances he winds up in, he’s Superman in the end. Nice read.

3 Likes

Finished this one and…I think if they were each separate Elseworlds stories I would have liked it a lot better. As is, I thought the alien dude’s motivation was really dumb and convoluted. Like, okay, he wanted to use Superman to save his world, but he didn’t want other aliens to know about his homeworld. Okay…so why did he need to put other memories in there? Couldn’t he have just mindwiped him in the first place? And then in the end, it doesn’t matter because a bunch of other Earthlings (and one Martian) went to their world to pick Superman up anyway, making the whole story completely pointless.

I dunno, I just wasn’t feeling this story at all. Yeah, it’s evocative of a silly Silver Age story, but the fact is you really can’t do that kind of story without really doing your A-game, because frankly our standards for storytelling had greatly increased even in the 90s, let alone in the 2020s.

5 Likes

Technical Foul, thinking while reading

4 Likes

:laughing:

:thinking:

4 Likes