Justice League Book Club Week 5: The One-Man JLA

gives Knox two grants

2 Likes

Also, am I the only one who hoped that the writers really were going to let Adam Strange get eaten by a giant lizard…?

3 Likes

Prolly. I like Adam Strange.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s not that I dislike Adam Strange. There’s just something very…90s Simpsons about doing him in like that. :wink:

3 Likes

'90s Simpsons…:drooling_face:

“She has a new hat!”

2 Likes

dramatic gasp of dramaticness

I was actually able to read/participate this week! Huzzah!

The reading for this week was quite fun, and I really liked the different versions of Superman. It’s the first time I’ve read The One-Man JLA, and I think I liked the Thanagarian Superman the most - I found the story particularly interesting. I did really like Green Lantern Superman as well.

3 Likes

Welcome, Wingz!

The Thanagarian and Oan iterations of Superman were my favorites too. Thanagarians are cool enough as is, but toss Superman into their ranks and they go to 11.

Thanks for flying by! :metal:t2: :clark_hv_4:

2 Likes

I was innocently cruising through the community and saw a new Superman posting, but it’s not Superman it’s JLA! But, still Superman. Like everyone else, I immediately thought to the Silver Age story this resembles. This was a great way to update that idea. I love that no matter where you drop Supes, no matter what circumstances he winds up in, he’s Superman in the end. Nice read.

3 Likes

Finished this one and…I think if they were each separate Elseworlds stories I would have liked it a lot better. As is, I thought the alien dude’s motivation was really dumb and convoluted. Like, okay, he wanted to use Superman to save his world, but he didn’t want other aliens to know about his homeworld. Okay…so why did he need to put other memories in there? Couldn’t he have just mindwiped him in the first place? And then in the end, it doesn’t matter because a bunch of other Earthlings (and one Martian) went to their world to pick Superman up anyway, making the whole story completely pointless.

I dunno, I just wasn’t feeling this story at all. Yeah, it’s evocative of a silly Silver Age story, but the fact is you really can’t do that kind of story without really doing your A-game, because frankly our standards for storytelling had greatly increased even in the 90s, let alone in the 2020s.

5 Likes

Technical Foul, thinking while reading

5 Likes

:laughing:

:thinking:

4 Likes

Happy November again everyone. :wave: :sunglasses: :turkey: :pie: :plate_with_cutlery:

It was. Very, very interesting seeing all these iterations of Superman that’s for sure. :superman_hv_3: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

All of the above… :superman_hv_4:

Look! Up in the sky! :astonished:

It’s a bird! :00_hawkman:

It’s a plane! :airplane:

It’s… Huh… You are right Aknox… These other worldly stories are something else… :thinking: :rofl:

ajm08g also proceeds to hand Aknox another grant :moneybag:

Also Kyle making a pirate ship construct to travel in space is something I’d probably do as well. :00_lc_green_lantern: :pirate_flag: :ship:

And definitely something not worth trading for Superman. :clark_hv_4: :00_justice_league:

4 Likes

Oh hai, @ajm08g! :superman_hv_3:

Right? I want figures of all of these iterations of Superman, and in a box set entitled “The One-Man JLA Superman”.

Likewise. However, if I were to pick a favorite, it’d probably the Thanagarian Superman.

Like Han Solo, Superman is a badass whose friends went above and beyond to bring him back to normal.

Now…what of Star Wars if Superman took the place of Han? Or! What of Superman if Han was in Kal’s place?

As Lex said in Superman Returns, “Possibilities. Endless possibilities.”

3 Likes

Hello, hello Vroom. :wave: :sunglasses:

A live look at ajm08g in the store should these become available :joy:

No cereal boxes were harmed… :sweat_smile:

Oh… Hmmm… I’d guess that Han would say… Hey now! I can make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs without the falcon even if she is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy, and I wouldn’t trade her for anything. :joy:

Oh, this would also be fun. Take it away Superman. :superman_hv_4:

ajm08g then overhears Lois say that she loves Superman to which Superman responds, “I know…” while beginning to disappear into a crater of ice at the North Pole :fearful: :superman: :woman:

For sure! :smiley:

3 Likes

You get oodles of Cool Points for your Superman/Star Wars mash-up, my friend.

slides a friggin’ ton of Cool Points over

I tossed in a few extra for your use of Superman from Justice League Action as well.

As DeNiro said in Analyze This, “You’re good, you!” :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Thank you Vroom. :clark_hv_4:

Always a pleasure. :superman_hv_3:

3 Likes

Me, saying “Thank you.” :superman_hv_3: :point_down:t2:

3 Likes