☯ ☯ Justice League Book Club Week 20: The Justice League of China ☯ ☯

Happy Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, League! It’s the dawn of a new era in the pages of New Super-Man, and you’ve got a front-row seat for all of the action and adventure! Read on for all of the fun!

:books: Read:

• New Super-Man #'s 20-24, the “Sea of Change” arc featuring the Justice League of China

• Bonus Read(s): The New 52 OMAC series, which stars the Kevin Kho OMAC.

While not a Justice League-related title, it does star one of DC’s more notable new Asian-American characters from the last decade. Following the end of his solo series, Kevin however did become involved with a Justice League, as he appeared in the New 52 Justice League International series, where he made his debut at the end of #8 and stuck with the team until the series’ conclusion in Justice League International Annual #1.

For the bonus content, you can check Kevin out in his solo book and his adventures with the JLI. If you just want to stick to the main tale in New Super-Man’s Justice League of China adventure, that’s super too. Read what you like, when you like, League. :slight_smile:

:speaking_head: Discussion Questions:

• Have you read any of this week’s thrilling adventures?
  • Who is your favorite Asian-American DC character?

:confetti_ball: :fireworks: Bonus Fun:

• Check out the DC Festival of Heroes: The Asian Superhero Celebration one-shot, new in stores this week!

Grab your favorite boba and pull a chair up to the dim sum table as we celebrate Asian Heritage Month with all your favorite Asian DC characters, old and new! Join Cassandra Cain, Katana, Green Lantern Tai Pham, the Atom, Dana Tan (a.k.a. Batman Beyond), Red Arrow, Lady Shiva, Damian Wayne and the al Ghul clan, New Super-Man, and more as we present new tales of these characters from their thrilling history! Plus, Cheshire Cat’s relationship to Cheshire is revealed as Shoes asks Selina Kyle to take her under her wing as Cat Girl. And that’s just the start!

• Watch this fantastic Library of Congress: Behind the Book spotlight on Jim Lee and other noteworthy Asian-American creators from DC, which is moderated by the writer of this week’s main read, Gene Luen Yang:
  • Stop by the DC Book Club’s latest adventure, where Superman Smashes The Klan is highlighted. Check that out here, and if you’re not yet a member of the DC Book Club, you can join the fun right here!

That’s our mission for Week 20, League! Its a lot, I know, but it’s very much worth your time, I assure you. Whether you read the main Justice League of China tale, further indulge in the bonus read(s), watch the Library of Congress spotlight on Jim Lee and other titanic AA talents or pick up the Festival of Heroes one-shot whilst reading DC Book Club’s latest super pick, you will absolutely have a ton of fun this week, of that I guarantee you! :slight_smile:

Enjoy! :superman: :justice_league_book_club:

9 Likes

Check out the latest in Justice League-related comics!

Brand-New Releases

Justice League: Last Ride #1

Main cover, by Darick Robertson

Variant cover by Miguel Medonca

Once, the Justice League was the most powerful collection of superheroes in the universe. But an unthinkable tragedy within its ranks has caused Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman to go their separate ways, leaving the League broken and disbanded under a veil of anger and mistrust. Now, against the backdrop of the universe’s greatest murder trial, can the League reconcile the past before they’re eradicated by the greatest villains in the cosmos?

RWBY/Justice League #9 (Digital First)

After being saved by the mysterious emerald warrior, Jessica Cruz, the group starts to connect the dots between what’s going on around Remnant, and learns the name of the creature behind everything!

DC Festival of Heroes: The Asian Superhero Celebration (yes this is in the OP, but its so nice that I’ll promote it twice, and this time with the variant covers)

Main cover by Jim Lee

Variant cover by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau

1:25 variant cover by Bernard Chang

Grab your favorite boba and pull a chair up to the dim sum table as we celebrate Asian Heritage Month with all your favorite Asian DC characters, old and new! Join Cassandra Cain, Katana, Green Lantern Tai Pham, the Atom, Dana Tan (a.k.a. Batman Beyond), Red Arrow, Lady Shiva, Damian Wayne and the al Ghul clan, New Super-Man, and more as we present new tales of these characters from their thrilling history! Plus, Cheshire Cat’s relationship to Cheshire is revealed as Shoes asks Selina Kyle to take her under her wing as Cat Girl. And that’s just the start!

New to DC Universe Infinite Justice League Comics

With most of the Justice League off Earth, John Constantine and Batman lead a covert team on a mission so insane it could have only been hatched by the man they call Hellblazer! But time is running out to save the infected on Earth-because a fate worse than death is coming!

“Doom Metal” part four of five! In this Dark Nights: Death Metal tie-in issue, the Justice League has nowhere left to hide from the agents of Perpetua. The towering, nightmarish Omega Knight hunts them to the edges of Brimstone Bay and will stop at nothing until the team is obliterated! And all the while, above Perpetua’s throne, Hawkgirl battles the Mindhunter for the soul of the man she loves: Martian Manhunter!

For the first time in months, the entire Young Justice team comes together to face a threat bigger than anything they’ve faced before. Just as the team has come to grips with their fractured legacy, someone from Young Justice’s past has come back to murder them! Guest-starring the Wonder Twins, Dial H for Hero, and Naomi-plus some other Wonder Comics surprises too hot to mention here! Don’t miss this final issue from the Eisner Award-nominated co-writers of Naomi!

What new Justice League (and related) books are you picking up this week and/or reading on DC Universe Infinite? Sound off below!

3 Likes

I picked up The Last Ride and Festival of Heroes. Both of my books feature variant covers. We had a fun conversation about that Cassandra Cain cover at the comic shop but I cannot repeat it here. Still, now I will only see one thing whenever I look at that cover…thanks, Candice.

2 Likes

You got FOH with the Jim Lee cover too, right? :clark_hv_4: Not to take anything away from Cass, but Jim Lee’s cover is seriously badass.

Well, there’s always DMs. I love a good comic shop chat that goes into unexpected territory.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it would even be safe to repeat in a DM! I only picked up the variant covers as these books are getting a bit pricy.

2 Likes

First up the variant for #23 with some guest stars

This was an enjoyable series as the team tries to do the right thing with certain political realities getting in the way. The “Aquaman of North Korea” was a great addition. Of course he was, he risked his life to watch The Simpsons. Yang did a great job of using the familiar names and powers and making them just unique enough to give us a distinct team. Hopefully, the Justice League of China (and the Great Ten) will have adventures in the future.

My favorite Asian super hero is Ryan Choi. He’s a great modern day reimagining of Ray Palmer. A bit nerdy, brilliant, a little bit over his head as a super hero and has just the right dose of humor. The future of The Atom is in very good hands.

4 Likes

That just makes the convo all the more enticing to read about, you know. :wink:

1 Like

Now it has been built up too much!!!

1 Like

Ermagash, just DM me the deets! :grin:

If you want, no pressure. I’m just being silly. However, I am curious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy, @CaptainYesterday! :wave:t2:

And what a hero he is for that, right? coughAgreed, @Applejack?cough

Agreed on how cool Ryan is. I’ve been a fan of him since his debut in…2006 (Right? In the Brave New World one-shot?).

Ray Palmer will always be my favorite Atom, but Ryan Choi is a close second. Have you read his story in the Festival of Heroes one-shot?

As for my favorite Asian DC character, I’d go with Cassandra Cain. She’s my favorite Batgirl by far, and has gone through a variety of interesting changes over the years.

I’m also a big fan of the Kevin Kho OMAC, who is a seriously underrated character in general. His solo book is one of my favorite wave 1 New 52 titles, and I’m fairly certain I’m one of…say, 10 people who gets excited for the title anytime discussion of it comes up.

Thanks for chiming in, @CaptainYesterday. Its always a pleasure to see you stop by! :superman_hv_4: :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

Told you it was too built up!!!

1 Like

Well, when literary beef jerky gets dangled over my maw, I’m going to want a bite. :grin:

1 Like

Well hello there Justice League Book Club Tally-Ho!. :wave: :sunglasses:

Sure did and finished it up a bit ago. :sweat_smile:

Have to give it to moments like this during the adventures the Justice League of China had. :joy:

Oh, good question. :thinking:

Definitely thought of Ryan Choi as well @CaptainYesterday. :atom_symbol:

Especially with all of Ryan’s adventures in the JLA Rebirth series. :smile:

3 Likes

Tally-ho, @ajm08g!

Neat! Better late than never. :superman_hv_4:

Mmmm, good stuff, that. Rebirth JLA was my JL go-to after I had lost interest in the core JL series, during Priest’s run. Any League with Lobo on it is my League, and then some. :nerd_face:

Thanks for stopping by, ajm. Its always a hoot! :clark_hv_4:

1 Like