Jewish superheroes or catholic superheroes

If you’re going to deal with people/entities from places besides earth, the all religions/faiths/belief structures are true or all are true to all those that believe in one or more of them are true for them.

1 Like

The Sandman story “Ramadan” is all about Arab culture and faith. The king asks, after Morpheus chides him for tasting a grape during the day, not fasting as he should.

The king, surprised, asks Dream if he is of The Faith. He replies, “I am of all faiths, after my fashion.”

Beautiful. No big surprise considering the source.

2 Likes

In the (VERY crappy) Elseworlds story “Act of God,” Wonder Woman converts to Catholicism because she’s lost her faith in the Greek pantheon. I don’t have time to go into the problems with that, so I recommend you check out Linkara’s review.

Meanwhile, Joker in “Batman: TAS” has been known to drop Yiddish phrases into his dialogue. It’s highly unlikely he’s actually Jewish, though: he claims to be Irish in one episode, and the Yiddish is most likely from spending so much time with Harley (and from his experience with show business.)

1 Like

The only one that matters is The Voice of Rao

1 Like

Ragman=Jewish!

1 Like

Blue Devil=Catholic

1 Like

Kid Devil is Catholic, too. At least, he was when Johns was writing Teen Titans.

Religious/philosophy superheroes include
Daredevil
Ragman
Shadowcat
Superman (last time I checked)
Wolverine (at one point)
wonder woman with Greek mythology
Batman is a Taoist
Captain America is Christian

Forgot about Hal Jordan he’s Catholic last time I checked

Huntress (Helena Bertinelli version) is Catholic.

3 Likes

Seraph is a member of the global guardians and is Jewish and operates in Israel

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I’m repeating anybody, but I just read that Nightshade is Catholic. I also just read that Seraph is Jewish but so did you.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_collage.html this link has organised heroes into their religion

3 Likes

Oh man, you opened a thread. So i like to point out how very Jewish in undertones Krypton is. Not a bad thing, i commend his two jewish creators, for sliding a whole lot of hebrew into kryptonian names. The eradicator is like a “Sci fi” golem. His whole trek as a baby is a LOT like Moses’s origins. Its more obvious in the golden age stuff, but its there.

4 Likes

@tadmcdivitt I never thought of the Eradicator as being like the Golem!

Here are all the religious superheroes/antiheroes/villains I’m aware of in comics. Yes, I’m including Starfire because while her religion isn’t an actual religion in real life, she’s a devoted practitioner of it.

DC:

Superman - Christian (ironic, considering his creators were Jewish)

Simon Baz - Muslim

Black Adam - Egyptian mythology

Starfire - X’Halism (a word I made up for her worship of the goddess X’Hal)

Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) - Catholic

Batwoman - Jewish

Wonder Woman - Greek mythology

Wonder Girl (Cassie) - Christian turned practitioner of Greek mythology (at least from what I could tell)

Cyborg - Christian

Elongated Man - Christian

Ragman - Jewish

Blue Devil - Catholic

Kid Devil - Catholic

John Constantine - most likely Christian but I don’t think he’s religious as much as he directly interacts with the angels and demons of most mythologies

Marvel:

Magneto - Jewish (at least formerly)

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch - Jewish (most of the time anyway)

Captain America - Christian

Daredevil - Catholic

Moon Knight - Jewish

Shadowcat - Jewish

Punisher - Catholic

1 Like

So slight correction, in an earlier post I wrote that Halo was Muslim with the qualifier of kinda. It now seems to be confirmed that is not the case. Which honestly makes much more sense.

1 Like

I think Constantine is Pagan.

Zatanna is Wiccan, I believe. Fire is Catholic. Maya is Hindu.

@DeSade-Acolyte

Batman and Wonder Woman are actually Jewish technically, since David Mazouz and Gal Gadot are both Jewish :smiley:

1 Like