Jewish superheroes or catholic superheroes

Honestly I have ever wondered if there was a Catholic superhero or for that part a Jewish Superhero. I know that Marvel has Ms.Marvel who is a muslim superhero? I cant remember if DC has anything like this.

3 Likes

Huntress and Ragman!!!

5 Likes

Haha! I beat the smart people!

3 Likes

Batwoman is Jewish.

7 Likes

I have absolutely no proof of this, but I’ve always viewed Batman as a lapsed Catholic.

5 Likes

I’m fairly certain Battle Pope is catholic.

3 Likes

*Catholic

Doctor Midnight is Catholic, Batwoman is Jewish
As a Catholic, I always saw Batman as Episcopalian is an old money English stock. But, could have been one of those English families that secretly stayed Catholic.

3 Likes

I remember reading that Catwoman is Catholic, and perhaps Huntress is, too (she’s worn a cross on her suit in one form or another, so at least some form of Christianity). Stephanie Brown might be as well, but I’m going by her funeral in either Batgirl or Robin; I think it made mention of Catholic-specific traditions, but it’s been a while since I read it. As for Marvel, Nightcrawler and Gambit are Catholic, Rogue is Baptist, Kitty Pryde and Ben Grimm are Jewish, and–that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Character religions have never been given all that much focus, oftentimes just being generally Christian but seldom specifying denomination, in my experience. Though some of those characters I’ve mentioned aren’t always adherent to certain tenets of their faith, which in some cases I’ve found disappointing.

2 Likes

Kitty Pryde and Magneto are Jewish

Matt Murdock is Catholic

I know these are Marvel’ character

But I think has Marvel use religion into the back story or the DC

2 Likes

@The OriginalCaptainMarvel: Yes, I also believe that Bruce Wayne has always been a failed Catholic.

@ TheOriginalCaptainMarvel

If I recall correctly I believe that Chuck Dixon also viewed Bruce Wayne to be a lapsed Catholic.

I believe he’s specifically mentioned the concept of “Catholic guilt” as a major driving force for his war on crime and inability to get over the death of his parents and his perceived role in being unable to prevent it.

2 Likes

Huntress is definitely (lapsed-ish) Catholic. It’s mentioned a few times in Gail Simone’s Birds of Prey run. Azrael is probably Catholic too, given that his father was in the Order of St. Dumas, which is a splinter sect.

DC Database categorizes Batman as atheist, but Thomas Wayne was (possibly?) Catholic and Martha Wayne was Jewish, so he could be lapsed one or the other (probably the former since he seems to at least acknowledge Christmas and is occasionally cajoled into celebrating it).

Vic Sage was raised by nuns, but is probably lapsed or never practiced in the first place.

1 Like

Does DC have any prominent Muslim superheroes?

Simon Baz comes to mind.

5 Likes

Would love a hero who holds fast to their faith, moral code, and values.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Harley has mixed Catholic and Jewish upbringing.

I always imagined Batman as an atheist, but that’s open to debate.

Superman, who was created by Jewish writers, has a backstory that parallels the story of Moses, and his real name, Kal-El, is Hebrew for “All that is under God.”

Jewish-American comic book writer Elliot S! Maggin always interpreted Lex Luthor (one of his favorite characters to write) as having Jewish heritage.

1 Like

I doubt you could find a single demographic more underrepresented than Christians in comic books or most other forms of media. 75% of the United States is Christian and yet we strain to think of any prominent Christian superheroes much less any who actually attend church regularly and implement Christian values in their lives. The media bias has worn on me over the past few years.

3 Likes

@BatWatch: Let’s not overstate things. Most superheroes, while not portrayed as remarkably devout, are at least probably supposed to be Christian. Now, I’m someone who finds “We need more diversity!” arguments exhausting and dislikes it when good storytelling takes a backseat to diversity (and it’s a shame that the two end up in conflict so often). Heck, I even find more explicit or obvious media animus against Christianity annoying (speaking as someone who is not Christian). But I just want to note that someone asked about Muslim superheroes, and I could think of a grand total of one. Now I’m sure there are a couple others, but I can rattle off several heroes who are not only Christian but are literal angels. We’ve come up with a handful of explicitly Catholic heroes and that’s just one denomination.

3 Likes

Nightrunner is Muslim

2 Likes