James Gunn Reveals New Superman Emblem!

In an Instagram post from earlier today, James Gunn revealed that principle photography for his upcoming Supmerman film began today–and he revealed the newest iteration of the iconic Superman suit emblem!

What do you think of the newest version of Superman’s emblem? Let us know in the thread, and check out our DC Blog post below!

19 Likes

Looks cool​:+1:

12 Likes

Looks like … a Superman logo.
Much less Kingdom Come than the reading table cards were, spawning ridiculous speculation.

12 Likes

It still looks like the kingdom come logo, I think the colors is what makes it look more like the normal Superman logo.

9 Likes

As long as he’s wearing a red trunk, I’m happy. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I just commented on the emblem a minute after Gunn posted on his IG

8 Likes

So how do y’all feel about the movie being named just Superman instead of Superman Legacy?

9 Likes

It could be my color perception, but I would to see much brighter colors in the big S.

8 Likes

I did like the original title so I’m a bit disappointed. But ultimately that hardly dictates a movie’s quality, so I’m sure I’ll get over it soon

9 Likes

Yeah, the traditional colors definitely make it more classic feeling. But the outer border makes it immediately not-KC looking to me. He’s also (intentionally) obscuring the corners, which would be more telling, but it feels like there might still be some serif action happening in the top right … or that could just be the snow/glare.

Either way, I don’t think its in any way overtly Kingdom Come enough to assume any plot details because of it.

Primarily indifferent. But from a marketing perspective, I think it makes sense. To the average viewer, “Legacy” says that something came before, and that might lead to casual viewers worrying that they’ve missed something. As the tentpole of the new universe, just slapping Superman on it makes more sense. (Even if we have to start pedantically referring to 1978 as Superman: The Movie to avoid confusion.)

What really matters is whether the content is well made and delivered or not.

11 Likes

Honestly, “Superman” is perfect. Just perfect.

7 Likes

No different.

7 Likes

That’s true! But how I was thinking of the title was that this is Clark thinking and learning what kind of Superman he’s going to be. What is he going to stand for and what kind of legacy will he leave behind?

That’s just how I saw it. Him thinking about legacy for decades to come

5 Likes

Oh, yeah, I’m sure the title would make perfect sense once we saw the film. I’m just thinking of the knee-jerk “no thought” people they need to hook to make “big budget” film numbers.

7 Likes

I like it. ‘Cool’ sneak peak… Also love Kingdom Come so getting any type of inspiration from that with a yellow twist is a nice touch.

6 Likes

This logo reminds me a bit of the Man of Steel logo. Maybe because of how big the spine of the S is. And plus the snow which reminds me of the Flight scene.

5 Likes

It’ll probably look more colorful in the movie. Gunn said he took this from his phone.

That vs what we see in the actual movie would likely look different I imagine.

example I saw online:

7 Likes

For name consistency it is reasonable Woman of Tomorrow will be renamed to Supergirl (granted that may confuse people with her recent show).

6 Likes

I wouldn’t really care normally but it feels a bit emblematic of James Gunn and one of my many complaints about him. The guy’s got a profitable grift of making interchangeable James Gunn movies instead of actual superhero movies and he has a bad habit of “just winging it” with major announcements, castings, plans, etc. because “lol who cares.”

The dude waits to the literal last day of January 2023 to announce his slate so that he’s technically announcing it in its promised timeframe the same way a lax student gets their assignment submitted at the last possible second.

He says that his reboot is only changing Superman and Batman but much of the DCEU will stay intact in the broad strokes…until he changes his mind to “It’s a soft reboot in that I keep all MY stuff from the DCEU and kinda sorta also Blue Beetle in that I’m not recasting him.”

He says nothing as Sasha Calle lobbies to stay as Supergirl, even though he allegedly decided she’d be recast long before then.

He claims Affleck wanted to direct a DCU movie, which Affleck pretty definitively vetoes, indicating that one of them is lying. He tells Gal Gadot she’s staying as Wonder Woman then is totally silent when unspecified sources say otherwise, indicating that someone, again, is lying. There’s a common denominator here.

He assured viewers that The Flash would in some way show the transition from the DCEU to the DCU (something non-essential but nevertheless interesting) and then decides to throw in George Clooney for a cheap gag that makes everything more confusing because LOL.

Changing a movie’s title while it’s in production is not a big deal in general and it’s hardly the most scummy thing Gunn himself has done (see also: his old tweets that got him fired from Disney) but after everything Gunn has said and done since becoming THE CO-CEO OF DC STUDIOS, it’s just another thing that makes me lose confidence in the DCU.

10 Likes

AH! Oh wow!
I didn’t even connect the yellow outlining the crest as Fleischer Superman-esque. Was so focused on the ‘S’. :exploding_head:

8 Likes