Introducing DCUBC-Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-) Week1of3

@Dlayton78
I like your callout to the old man’s arrogance being what killed him - that’s really deep, and true!

2 Likes

@michaellamm666
I loved the visit to the House of Secrets as well. Moore connected this story to the first appearance of Swamp Thing in comics. I thought that was a nice touch.

2 Likes

Issue #22
This is a new genre of comic book for me, and I like it. There is plenty of horror in Alec’s sub-couscous as he tries to hang on to his humanity and uproot himself.
Meanwhile, Matt and Abby run into creeper Woodrue in the swamp. That encounter coupled with seeing what was left of Alec starts to wear on Abby.

1 Like

What does everyone think of Swamp Thing Annual (1985-) #2, “Down amongst the dead men”?

@IssacBrown Hi!
I’m sorry, I didn’t see your reply before I added my comment above. This is a new genre for me too! I never thought I’d enjoy a horror comic, but here I am! I’m glad I’m not the only one new to horror - thanks for sharing that =)

1 Like

Issue 27 is by far one of my favorites. I love the fly. His conversation with Matt. You can go ahead and scream I’ll wait until you finish. By far my favorite new character. Really enjoyed the underlying theme of over coming fear. Letting people know that it is okay to be scared but not to let it control you. Can’t wait to find out how exactly the fly fixed Matt’s situation and who the fly really is. Also, when swamp thing gets his arm ripped off and just picks it up and reattaches it, then punches the demon in the face with that arm. Priceless, just priceless.

1 Like

Issue 28, got to say you could read this and put it down thinking that it wasn’t that important to the battle raging inside swamp thing. But to those who get it, they can relate. Hell, everyone can relate at battle your own identity and trying to figure out who you are verse who the world and people around you tell you, you are or perceive you to be. I have battled personal demons in my own life many times and could truly relate to how swamp thing was feeling. It feels good though when you finally over come one of your demons. But that doesn’t mean the war is over.

1 Like

Okay so I finished week one and really enjoyed it over all. I would definitely choose the house of mysteries because I would definitely want to share and discuss over being burdened with a secret I can barely remember and I’m unable to share. Personally I thought swamp thing giving a piece of himself to Abby was the most romantic situation by far. As for terrifying, probably when the other Alec sees his best friend try to kill Abby and he bust through the window to stop him and ends up killing him right in front of Abby. However, I am confused on how Abby came back to life after Arcain killed her in their home. So if someone could shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Etrigan kicking Arcane’s head off was the best part of issue #2. And figuring out what issue I missed was the second because now I know how he brought her back. Going from Arcane killing her to aliens showing up in the swamp in hopes of making a new life was a little weird but a nice reprieve from the intense main story line. Anyway, now I have officially finished week one and look forward to week two. This is the first time I have participated in any group since I got the DC streaming app and have really enjoyed it. Thanks!

1 Like

@Dlayton78
The group activities are one of my most favorite parts of the DCU app. I’m glad you enjoyed week 1. I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on week 2. =)

I like the way you described The Burial (issue #28). That issue is very symbolic.

I’m with you on the evil fly and the moment where Swamp Thing replaces his arm in the fight - I attached that scene, it was great!

3 Likes

Swamp Thing Annual (1985-) #2, Down amongst the dead men

“He said…that he had ripped out…your soul…that he had hurled it…raw and bloody…down to hell. Arcane said that…I would follow you even there.” - Swamp Thing.

The issue shows Swamp Thing doing exact that. This issue is true love in action, IMO. He literally went to hell to save her soul. I enjoyed and was entertained by all of the supporting characters: Deadman, Etrigan, the Spectre, the Stranger, the old man (Sunderland), Arcane, Linda & Alec.

The opening scene where Swamp Thing travels to “the region of the just dead” and is met by a mother and her son who were recently killed in an accident pulled at my heart strings. It was sad for a moment, but then absolutely heart-warming and beautiful.

Swamp Thing crying at the end of the issue broke me. Moore’s decision to not show him crying, but instead to have Abby say, “You’re crying.” was a genius move, IMO. It was so powerful.

3 Likes

I think that the Sunderland Corporation is more monstrous than the “monsters” Swamp Thing and Floronic Man and they are the true villain for me as they chew people up and use them as a means to an end. A lot of these first arcs act like a play. The way Moore reintroduces Swamp Thing after being defrosted seems like he is reborn and how he deals with his crisis of identity is so fascinating. I loved how emotional Abby was when she finds out Swamp Thing is no longer Alec Holland. Woodrue even states he had “given up on being human”. I’m enjoying this discussion as it’s my first DC Universe book club since I got my subscription and I have to say this has been a lot of fun I’m definitely on board for the other volumes book club

3 Likes

@michaellamm666
I’m glad to hear that you and others are joining in for the first time in book club :slight_smile: I’m enjoying the discussion too. I love hearing the community’s thoughts and reactions to issues in book clubs.

To your point about the Sunderland Corp., I agree, they made monstrous decisions. The story is going to dive very deeply into their misdeeds and the consequences of their misdeeds in Volumes 3 and 4 (starting Wednesday, April 24th - yay!). Given your keen eye to Sunderland corp, I’m especially looking forward to hearing your responses to everything that goes down in week 2 of book club. =)

2 Likes

In the first pages, Moore kicked this issue off with birds and poetic descriptions of bees in spring. Perhaps it’s a foreshadow of “the birds and the bees” topic of this issue.

The attached panel where Swamp Thing says, “Deeply… silently… and…for too many… years.” kicked me in the heart! :cupid: Like Abby, I ugly cried at this panel.

Swamp Thing: “Do you… like… lime?”
Abby: “It’s my favorite”

Aaaaand my ugly crying resumes… They are physically incompatible, but the psychedelic fruit and the magical scenes that followed really make up for it - it was intense and beautifully described and drawn. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

I am enjoying reading the Swamp Thing. I appreciate the character development of each character involved and how it chronicles the evolution of Swamp Thing from human to plant and his battle with separating the two. Floronic Man (Dr. Woodrue) was fun to read and how he thought he was saving plants and nature until he came to the realization that without man and woman plants and nature couldn’t survive. I’m also interested in reading some of the earlier battles between Floronic Man and the JLA. It’s interesting to read about Abby’s take on all of this as well as her own personal battles with her husband Matthew. So far I’m up to issue #28 (sorry it was a very busy past week and weekend but I’m off from work tomorrow)

One question I have and maybe I skimmed past it or maybe I’ll see it in the next few issues but I noticed that although Abigail is an Arcane her name is Abigail Holland…is she related to Alec Holland in some way or an ex wife? In what form did she get that last name?

I’m really into this book club btw and enjoy reading everyone’s take on these issues! :slight_smile::+1:

2 Likes

@Arrow2911

I was confused by the names at first too. When you get to Swamp Thing Annual (1985-) #2 (read it after issue 31), it’ll become a bit more clear.

Abigail’s maiden name is Abigail Arcane. Her married name is Abigail Cable (husband Matt Cable). Alec Holland was married to and Linda Holland. Abby does eventually take the name Abigail Holland (but that story unfolds in week 2 or week 3 of book club).

All - if I messed anything up, feel free to let me know - without spoiling the future volumes :wink:

Also, @Arrow2911 no worries about being on issue 28, we kick off the reading and discussion for volume three and four on Wednesday, but we have a full week to read it so feel free to pace yourself or binge read as you need. =) Glad to have you and glad to hear you’re enjoying the book and the club!

2 Likes

I suggest everyone read this. Comic fan or not. Not only is it one of the greatest runs of all time, it is also one of the greatest stories of all time.

2 Likes

This is one of the great ones.

@johnnieriot
@Matches_Malone
Hello! I enthusiastically agree. =)

Here’s the rest of my responses for the questions:

1. Like @Dlayton78, I would choose the House of Mysteries. I like to discuss things and hear opinions and point of views (as you may have noticed;) . Secrets aren’t for sharing and discussion, but ysteries are for all.

2. My favorite minor character is Deadman. He’s so lively - in contrast to his name.

“Y’ know, being dead, it’s like waiting for a bus… you don’t see anyone for months and then two or three arrive together…” - Deadman, Swamp Thing Annual (1985-) #2

1. The most terrifying moment and villain for me was the scene with the evil fly (Arcane) tempting Matt Cable when he was near death. My skin crawled, but I was captivated by every panel.

2. This was the most difficult question for me to answer because there’s so much to choose from, but for me it’s Swamp Thing’s reply, “Deeply… silently… and…for tooo many… years.” in issue #34.

We’re wrapping up Volumes 1 & 2 today. If you have any thoughts on this week’s reading, feel free to jump into the comments.