Introducing DCUBC-Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-) Week1of3

Dumbest plan ever, and his shittiness woke swamp thing up. He basically shot himself in the foot twice.

1 Like

@doctor_fate23
:rofl:

1 Like

So whenever swamp thing gets emotional (end of issue 30), I get emotional. Moore is really tugging on my heart strings. “I’m not crying, you’re crying!”

2 Likes

Me too! I’ll post my thoughts on the rest of volume 1 tonight.

In issue #30, you know things are bad when the Joker stops laughing.

2 Likes

Quick shout out to this guy for having the courage to fight Dr. Woodrue with a chainsaw in #24.
“I wantcha t’ meet Evangeline!”

ST-24-Evangeline.png

2 Likes

This poor kid, Paul, is crying out for help!!! Poor Paul.

1 Like

The writing is so good in this issue. The recurring theme “It began with death. It began with blood. I guess it’ll probably end the same way” was poetic.

I like this panel of Etrigan

3 Likes

I enjoyed this moment in #27 when Swamp Thing joins the fight. There are “three monsters”.

For issues #25-27 the scariest moment for me was when Matt Cable ingested the evil fly to avoid death. I have a feeling scarier moments are coming though!

ST-27-There-are-three-monsters.png

2 Likes

Since you’re onto that part of the book, I’d say my favorite cameo so far is definitely Etrigan. A pet peeve of mine is when writers don’t make Etrigan rhyme, and I can kind of live with him doing the simple ABAB style, but Moore writes Etrigan in way that feels almost Shakespearian and is definitely a high water mark on how to write the character.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay I didn’t know Etrigan was supposed to rhyme. Thanks! I learned something new.

oouuu! Now I have a question I can ask on @HubCityQuestion 's question thread. goes to look for his thread

Also - for anyone is ahead of me in the reading, feel free to post your thoughts on any of this week’s issues whenever the time is best for you.

Book club is awesome. My favorite cameo is also etrigan. He is one of my favorite DC Dark characters as it is, so I was very pumped when he showed up.

1 Like

@IsaacBrown Excellent accompanying track choices. I tend to put on jazz when taking in panels. Bebop adds to the glide, especially to the later, more existential issues of this Swamp Thing run.

2 Likes

Question: are these comic titles listed all included in The Saga of Swamp Thing series from 21 to 34?
It may sound like a dumb question but I’m asking because I want to make sure I’m reading the right ones!

1 Like

@Arrow2911
Yes. Issue #21 was the beginning of Alan Moore’s run. It’s said that the new show will be heavily influenced by this arc.

1 Like

@Arrow2911
Hello :blush: To echo IssacBrown, the series is available on the app. We are reading two volumes per week for three weeks.

This week (until Tuesday April 23rd) we’re reading and discussing the following issues:

SWAMP THING (1982-) Issues 21-31
Swamp Thing Annual (1985-) #2
SWAMP THING (1982-) issues 32-34

Details and discussion questions are in the original post. Let us know if you have any questions. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the book.

2 Likes

@IsaacBrown thank you! I look forward to reading these and watching the new series when it comes out. I love the 2 Swamp Thing movies.

@JLWWSM Thank you and I look forward to sharing my thoughts in the discussion.

2 Likes

Arcane’s evil-revenge-plan monologue is one of the best ones I’ve read. The plan itself is ruthless and the delivery is theatrical. Seeing the evil spread across the land and even the Monitor being scared really painted the picture of how bad things were. The mysterious dream in #22 and the other mysteries along the way all come together. Matt Cable’s redemption was a nice touch to the story. Swamp Thing’s reaction (see photo) was one of my favorite parts.

I think Dr. Woodrue / the Floronic man was a warm-up villain compared to Arcane.

As @doctor_fate23 mentioned, Swamp Thing’s emotions are so well communicated through the art and story. I empathized with Swamp Thing and felt my heart sink at the end of this issue.

3 Likes

Just finished the anatomy story and I have to say that my favorite thing about this issue was how the old mans arrogance is truly what got him killed. Also, the idea that Alec Holland’s consciousness is what formed his body out of vegetation that consumed his remains. Very unique back story.

3 Likes

The Anatomy Lesson was a revelation to me because I really believed Alec Holland was the Swamp Thing and then it’s slowly revealed that he’s not Alec at all and never was. It was such a punch to the gut. I loved the visit to the House of Secrets showing there had been multiple incidents creating lots of Swamp Things throughout history. The circular nature of history is a great theme explored here

4 Likes