I'm not enjoying Starman 1994

This one breaks my heart because Starman is such a big series for me. It’s one of the reasons I got into writing and has lead me down an interesting path. That being said, I know my experience won’t be the same as others. And I will give you credit @JobaniM28 in that you’re giving it a shot. I say if you’re not totally in by the Infernal Devices storyline, then you’ll know it’s not for you.

If I could make a recommendation for a series on the app? I’d highly recommend Planetary. I think you’ll enjoy it…least I hope you do.

2 Likes

I would say after 20+ issues and not liking it, I think you gave it a really good attempt at liking it.

I only read the first arc of it when it was the subject of the DCU Book Club, and I didn’t really like it there either. I get how influential it was, but I honestly think many, many other books were able to do what it does without it’s frankly atrocious dialogue and boring, unlikable characters.

I will second Planetary, though. I think that’s second only to Transmetropolitan as Warren Ellis’ best work.

3 Likes

Starman isn’t for everyone. I know when I was reading it, there were those who didn’t like it because they thought it was a Vertigo book and felt it was tame in comparison to thinks like Hellblazer and Swamp Thing. There were also those who felt it was too different from what DC was doing at the time. It skated that line.

But from my own personal experience, I fell in love with the writing and the characters. I was a Will Payton Starman fan and jumped into the series to see if they’d address what happened to him after the Eclipso crossover. As I kept reading, I realized I had a lot in common with Jack (collects old things, has an appreciation for the past) and it was also around the time DC was bringing back the JSA, so I had an appetite for all things golden age and golden age-related. The Sand and Stars arc got me and I never looked back. There was something about Jack meeting Dian Belmont that struck a nerve with me in the best way possible.

This was also the comic where I really understood things like foreshadowing, characterization and the idea that a writer can have a whole story mapped out in his head before writing a single issue. Robinson knew where this was going all along and managed to tie up the threads at the end beautifully. I might’ve seen these concepts in comics before, but they really stood out and made me think with Starman.

I think I need to grab my Omnibus editions and do a re-read of this series. It’s been a while since I’ve visited the good people of Opal City.

3 Likes

I might looking into it, if I do get to it and i remember this thread I’ll be sure to tell you how I’m on it

Alright, I’ll try to get on to those if i can

I honestly don’t really remember the star and sands arc, and it’s only been like a day since I read starman

Cool! Wish you all the best in what you’re looking for with the comics!

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Hey can you send a link to Transmetropolitan. I don’t see it here on DCU?

It’s a creator-owned Vertigo title, so it won’t be on the service. Sorry. :frowning:

But there are some vertigo titles on here…well Brian k Vaughan’s swamp thing(Honestly liked that run) is, Not sure about others.

Basically the only Vertigo books that are allowed on the service are those that relate to/directly influence the DCU original programming. That’s why we have the various runs of Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, and Flex Mentallo.

1 Like

Huh, no wonder izombie and the sandman aren’t on here. You wouldn’t happen to know why vertigo titles aren’t on DCU would you?

This is a bit of conjecture on my part, but from what I understand, Vertigo comics are almost entirely creator owned. Since stuff like this is new, they would probably have to negotiate new terms to put them there. And what if one says yes, and another says no? It could look bad for all parties.

That said, I do know that Comixology Unlimited, where you can borrow certain titles, has a lot of Vertigo titles, many of them cycled in and out for a month. I’ve been able to try out really good Vertigo books like Daytripper and Punk Rock Jesus that way.

1 Like

Oh I don’t like comixology unlimited because most of the time you don’t get the complete series, you’re pretty much forced to the rest.

1 Like

You gave it a shot, which is more than most people do. Having said that, Starman is second only to Sandman for me.

3 Likes

I’m not quite as far as you, and I’ve been mostly enjoying it so far. It does sort of… foreshadow some of the bad habits that plagued Robinson’s later writing, though.

I have no idea what you—

—You know, you have a very good point.

2 Likes

@JobaniM28

Back when DC Univetse began it had a small library with many titles only the first issue.

Also comics we wanted to read like Teen Titans and Batman were swaped out after 2 weeks.

Members complained

And now we have more than 23000 issues.

But Comixology owned that market exclusively before.

Comixology also wanted to provide a service with exclussive right to some titles. For a monthly fee, you could ‘bprtow’ some issues of majpr titles for 'free

So DC Comics negotiated with Comixology

The result

We got a 23000 issue library
Comixolgy got an Exclusive on Vertigo titles

Many of the early Trade Volumes of the major Vertigo Titles like Sandman are ‘free’ with the monthly Comixology Unlimtted fee.

2 Likes

Wow, I do plan on reading sandman sometime

Yeah but it’s almost never the full series, that’s enough for me to not subscribe to comixology

1 Like