I'm not enjoying Starman 1994

I’m on issue 21 and honestly, I can’t seem to get into it. I want to like but I can’t, I want to keep reading it in case it does get better but there are other series I’m interested in reading.

Can anyone tell if I should keep reading it?

3 Likes

I know how you feel with that. Here, let’s ask this, what do you look for when you read a comic book?

1 Like

Never really thought about what I look for within a book, I always thought what I hope I’ll enjoy in a book.

I guess Im looking for something depressing that makes you feel bad for a character like Fred in the flintstones comic, something that shows characters going through a mental battle like in Superman red son. Something dark and unusual(these are anime but the examples are Perfect blue and Angel’s egg) or something related able like superman american alien Clark was trying to learn about his kryptonian heritage but ended accepting earth as a home(in my case it involves countries). Fights that carry a lot of weight on them like in injustice when SPOILER alfred was killed by Victor Zass and Damian killed Victor and again SPOILER while wasn’t really a fight but Shazam deaths was honestly the saddest death imo with Blue beetle and Booster Gold.

1 Like

I’m not going to say if you should keep reading or not. What I will say is that Starman is one of my favorite comics of all time, and you and I have almost completely opposing tastes.

4 Likes

How so?

Alright, if I may ask another question(I promise I’ll bring it back) what is your favorite food and why?

1 Like

Huh, again never really thought of that. I love taco dorados, I always get really excited when my mom makes it, I like how hard and crunchy it is and really goes well with mayo, cheese(I forgot what kind of cheese it is) and lettuce. I especially like it with chicken, the meat really brings everything together. OH and I also like to put “Salas verde y salas roja”(not sure if that’s what they’re actually called in Spanish) on it taste even better with spice.

Edit: sometimes my mom makes with potato instead of chicken that would always disappoint me, i still ate because i don’t wanna starve and it still taste good but it’s not the same without the chicken

1 Like

If you don’t want to keep reading you don’t have to, there are plenty of books on this service that you will probably enjoy.

That being said, I think you would really like the Mikaal Tomas issues of the series, and the space arc is really great. Talking with David is also a really interesting way to keep him in the book even after his death. I’ll admit, when I first started reading it I didn’t really see what everyone was talking about, but I stuck with it and it became one of my favorite books.

4 Likes

I just prefer more uplifting stories, and generally I don’t feel a need to see an origin story. I will say, both Flintstones and American Alien are exceptions, but Flintstones is mostly satirical comedy.

2 Likes

I love that. So, why is that so different from other foods? And, do you compare other foods to that while you eat them or do you take that food differently and for what it is?

1 Like

Even though Starman is my favorite long-form superhero epic ever… I will say if you don’t like it, don’t continue on. There are so many other series to dig into. I don’t understand why anyone would continue to read something they aren’t enjoying.

4 Likes

Honestly that right there kind of encourages me to keep reading it, in fact when I first read Superman red son I didn’t really get it but when I reread it later on I realized what I missed and now it’s one of my favorite superman stories.

2 Likes

I mainly liked it because of how guilty Fred and Barney feel after the “war” and that they just want best for their families and that Fred doesn’t feel good enough for Wilma and it shows how war really damages your mental health.

And I thought the animals were cute

1 Like

Well I don’t really know, most tacos are soft so hard tacos is somewhat uncommon and I’ve been eating it my entire life so I guess it’s kind of nostalgic.
Guess I just take differently for what it is because there are plenty of things that uses lettuces and chicken. I have other kinds of tacos but taco dorados is my favorite.

1 Like

Mainly because I might misout on a really good arc/moments that could change your opinion on the series. I thought one piece was an ok manga then when I reached water 7 it became one of my favorite mangas(even thought it’s been years since I read it)

I mean, all of that stuff is excellent and done very well and I really enjoy it, but it’s layered on top of the absolute sharpest political satire I’ve seen in a comic since… well, forever, probably.

2 Likes

Yeah, I like that. With that theme of multiple things having lettuce, I for one, like hamburgers, which also have lettuce. But they’re not at all a taco. So if I were to eat a hamburger and think the entire time, “this isn’t a taco”, I’m probably not going to enjoy said hamburger as much as I would if I were to enjoy it as a burger instead of as “not a taco”, if that makes sense.
Now, this is all my opinion so please take this with a grain of salt, but I think it’s the same way with comics. If you’re constantly looking at what it’s lacking or if you’re comparing it to things you maybe like better, you’re probably not going to enjoy the book as much. So now you have to think, does starman have what you typically like to read in it? If it doesn’t, is that distracting you from enjoying the current book? Or, can you appreciate the hamburger (maybe you don’t like burgers, that’s just my analogy​:sweat_smile:) even though it’s not a taco? If you only like reading one type of story or comic or theme, which is 100% okay, then continuing on with this starman might not be the most ideal thing. (Kind of like you not enjoying it as much when your mom replaced the chicken with the potatoes) But if you’re open to the idea that it’s different, then by all means, go for it.

Sorry, this was kind of long and kind of a lot, I kinda just droned on, but I don’t mean to preach to you, I’ve just dealt with this thing before. So sorry, hope this helped at least a little haha

1 Like

Well it’s not really that it “lacks” things that I normally like, it just that I don’t see any appeal in it. I’m not comparing like “man, this isn’t like Ultimate Spiderman where it shows high school drama and what high schoolers go through and characters growing a bound with one another” I get that it’s own separate series but maybe it’s just not for me.

But I’ll keep trying see how far I’ll get into it

1 Like

Honestly, if you haven’t fallen in love with it by now I kinda doubt it’ll happen. Robinson’s style doesn’t change even if the focus of the stories do. I’d personally count it as one of my favorites and think it was one of the best DC books at the time, but I can see how it might not be for everyone.

3 Likes

I’m still willing to give it a chance, maybe if I’m halfway done and I still don’t like it I’ll drop it