If Harley Shows Up One More Time in a Book That Isn’t Her’s, I’m Gonna Lose It

Many excellent points about Harley have been brought up. Both @zoiesevier96.4467 and @Razzzcat have mentioned inclusion which is something that is lacking in DC. There have been multiple discussions about this, so I will not dwell on it here. However, I will say that is an important thing to do, especially if the writers can do this organically as it has been done with Harley and Ivy. @Viilax has pointed out that Harley is not depicted this way in the current comics and that is also correct. However, it should be pointed out that the most of season 2 of Harley Quinn has been on a journey of self discovery and is depicted to be in love with Poison Ivy. As the show is on SyFy and DCU this will reach a broader audience and the comics will have to play catch up sooner than later.

Onto the actual topic of Harley being overused in comics. Yes and no. She has had many mini-series, starred in her own title, appeared in Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad, animated movies, and cartoons. When I look at the grand scheme of things though, she isn’t saturating comics like Batman or Superman who are often used to boost sales of failing titles. Then again, I am one of the few people that see Batman on a cover and run for the hills because of his oversaturation.

3 Likes

it’s cool man you can feel that way. I personal love Harley she’s a cool character with a neat story.

4 Likes

I think it’s a bad state of affairs when someone says, “I’m sick of character X,” and suddenly there’s a mentioning of homophobia.
Maybe we ALL need to take a breather and relax.

One of my favourite characters is thre Viking Prince. And he gets almost NO exposure. Should I take that personally? If someone else says they find him boring, should I take that personally?

Some people find Harley over done and over used. Relax.

3 Likes

I don’t appreciate when people take the only character who is popular female part of the LGBT community and then say stuff like “she wasn’t always gay” because of her being bisexual nothing says she wouldn’t have always been. Feel how you feel it’s fine just don’t diminish the progress of the character being part of the LGBT community. And I will not assume you have a problem with it.

I’m pretty sure Harley stole the teleportation tech Batman used in the 90s and early 2000s to show up in as many places as she does.

It’s a lot better than my Wolverine theory that basically says there are dozens of him running around all regenerated from the various body parts he loses.

2 Likes

I agree that she is over used. I see complaints about the Trinity but considering they are DC comics I really don’t mind. I love Batman and his rogues but in my opinion Harley hasn’t been written well in years. She isn’t that bad in the most recent Batman storyline, but its far away from her original Batman the Animated Series version. Jester Harley was annoying but she as able to play off the Joker in fun and interesting ways. I miss that, DC’s determination to shove the character down my throat isn’t appreciated and I really hope with Punchline around we can finally get some better Harley stuff.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really despise modern Harley. I hope with Punchline they don’t make the same mistakes.

2 Likes