If DC Universe sold Comic Books with Exclusive Variant covers, would you buy them?

I love the DC Universe service. I love the idea that by being a member, you can get access to exclusive items. Particularly I’d love to see comic books with exclusive variant covers from DC Universe. Here’s an example.

Jim Lee DC Universe Variant of Detective Comics 1000. I’d totally buy these on the DC Shop. What do you all think? Would you be interested & buy at the DC Shop for comics like these?

4 Likes

The other cool thing is DC Universe can do questionnaires asking fans like us which artists we’d like to do variant covers.

2 Likes

Yes. Def. That’s an excellent idea.

2 Likes

That’d definitely be a nifty idea! I know a few places that even do the pre-order bundles with exclusive variants so it’d be a double-win if they did that!

1 Like

Sure, why not?

2 Likes

I might buy a few depending on the artist.
I’d be much more inclined to buy them if they came signed

1 Like

What artist would you like to see do a exclusive DC Universe Cover? Personally, I love Jim Lee, he’s usually my top choice. Greg Capullo is outstanding as well. I’m very happy Jim Cheung is working at DC too.

I don’t think I would. I buy comics if they have variant covers just if they look cooler… but I’m in the minority here.

2 Likes

I’m much the same way I not a big fan of variants because most of the time they dont look nearly as nice as the original. The orginal cover has that nice DC bullet, the title logo, and the issue #, which makes it nicer looking in my opinion. Most variants I see just have the art and all the issue info shoved into a tiny corner in plain printed font. It doesn’t look like a comic to me it just looks like this weird paper book. That and the practices that screw local shops over for these variant covers that aren’t worth that much anyway most the time. Variants as a whole are kinda just a outdated concept leftover from the 90s collector heavy era that I never sure why people love so much personally?

1 Like

When you say look cooler, do you mean by art? Like it depends on which artist does the cover?

I will say, as a comic book retailer, I believe DC Comics practices are great. Many of the variant covers they do are available to order at any ratio & are optional. It’s not ridiculous like how Marvel does it, in my opinion. I think a lot of what DC Comics offer actually helps retailers. It’s just a matter of quality of content & cost. For me personally, I wish continuity was more organized, I think that would help build more history & characters, and future stories would have bigger pay offs for stories & fan reactions. To me, the best was between Identity Crisis & Infinite Crisis. So many great tie-ins and build up, it made the stories & especially the big event story really worth it. New 52 was exciting, there were great series that came from that, but the universe wasn’t structured well enough to build towards future events & stories. I think in some way, it was fractured. Regardless on my thoughts of quality of the comics, the way variants are handled are great. Lots of great talent working on the comics. Thanks for commenting, I really enjoy hearing, or in this case, reading people’s thoughts and opinions on these ideas.

1 Like

I have heard DC is much better than marvel when it comes to those 1000 to 1 scummy variant practices which is good. As a retailer you obviously know alot more about how this effects shops than I do, as just your average wed warrior. I am rather curious if variants do actually help sell more comics. Most people I know will eather buy 1 or the outher. I’ve never actually seen someone who picks up an extra copy of the same book just for a variant cover.

1 Like

There are various collectors & readers out there. It honestly varies from shops, to also online retail. I’m a Superman & Green Lantern fan, so I personally purchase/pickup each of the covers, if they’re available, for my personal collection. There are even people that only pick up specific artists that do the covers. Perfect example for comics today, Stanley Artgerm, I have a customer that likes to get all the covers he does, they don’t care if it’s from a comic series or character they don’t like, they do it because they’re fans of the artist. I personally would get any cover done by Jim Lee, lol.

1 Like

I kinda now feal like the Santa in those m&m commercials they air every year. :smile:.

1 Like

Hahaha, nice. We’re out there. We’re still here, lol.

1 Like

Look cooler as in they look nicer than the original cover in my opinion. I wouldn’t buy a variant if I could get it at my LCS.

1 Like

If there’s more than one cover to choose from, I just go with the art i like the best. I don’t really care which is the main cover. But I don’t spend extra for a variant, no card stock covers for me or anything. So, no, that’s not something I would likely buy from here. I’ll stick with t-shirts and mugs, thankyaverymuch.

2 Likes

If DCU offered Jim Lee and Jim Cheung variants for books I was interested in, I’d snap 'em up toot sweet.

1 Like

The artists I would like to see most are Jim Lee ( though I already have a couple signed by him) Jason Fabok, And Tony Daniel and that’s just a start

2 Likes

I buy both books whenever I get a variant cover. I think the original art is just as important
When DC has a big event and there are variants, I’m only going to buy the ones I really like. I’ve bought some online that are retailer exclusives but mostly I just buy the ones that are shipped by DC. I display mine so it’s kind of nice to have the art without the logos and cover lettering

1 Like