How do you guys feel about Joker shooting warnings?

@Aylex
It’s possible the row will have more people in it by showtime. Some people have very distinct habits about movies. Some want the front row, some want smack dab in the middle.some want the last row because then there is no one behind. You don’t get some person who is kicking the back of your seat. Personally I always look for the worst seat. Live theater or movies. It helps see the flaws easier and faster. If the back row is empty except for one person and they look sketchy, move to the back row as far from that person as possible.

Certainly the most likely scenario for a shooter would be outside. In the theater itself. The last row is not ideal. You are trapped up there. I would be more concerned with someone sitting as close as possible to an emergency exit. Wider angle of fire and easier exit.

2 Likes

To be honest, if you’re afraid to go see a movie, you have more issues than anyone on this community page can help you with. You’ve drank the Kool aid and let sone moron who made up a bs theory because they’re ignorant, dictate to you what you should do. You need to grow up and make decisions for yourself.

The military issued a warning to its troops on a possible threat potential that was picked up by the intelligence community.

If that is “drinking the kool-aid”, in your book, you are certainly welcome to your opinion. But, I disagree that the intelligence community data is “Kool-aid”.

If someone has concerns because of that data, they don’t need to “grow up”. I n fact the opposite is true. They are basing a concern through a valid, professional threat assessment. It wouldn’t stop me, but either choice is valid. Perhaps those that are not looking to the original data need to “grow up” and take more responsibility for seeking out the basis of a story to its actual source.

If one reads the military notice, it doesn’t say to not go. It says to be aware of those around you, try to avoid the shooter, and know where your exits are. All they are saying is a threat potential exists and to exercise rational behavior when there, should an incident actually happen.

One can argue that everybody, not just military, should be doing this all the time anyway.

4 Likes

His comment wasn’t even worth responding to lol, but yeah @DSA, what you said sums up how I feel about that.

I’ve decided I really don’t want to let fear rule me… Me and my gf will be going to see this at 6:30 tonight (eastern time). We’ll see how it goes, just gotta trust in the fact that I’m statistically okay. I’ll do my best not to be jittery and overly aware of every little movement in the theater, cause I wanna be able to just enjoy the movie without all this in the back of my mind.

4 Likes

Just gonna come in and respond to the comment above. I wrote a thesis paper on trying to identify traits of possible assailants and the results were: there are no common traits. There’s no definite way to know who could be a possible issue, and if you think you can then they’re typically based on stereotypes. Don’t put your prejudices out there and assume the worst of people. I saw the film last night and there was an officer on scene, and it feels like most theatres do as well. Just be aware of your surroundings, know where the exits are, know where the officer is, and just try to plan ahead of time. That’s the best you can do. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought the movie was absolutely brilliant. It’s hard to compare anything to Heath but Joaquin’s performance was at the very least equally as good if not better. I feel like Heath played an incredible Super Villain that was “crazy” but Joaquin played a “psycho” role that allowed you to get deeper into how and why a person with mental illness or really anyone can be driven down the path that Arthur was taken down. Totally agree with most of these comments maybe a new top 3-5 favorite movie for me especially in the hero / villain realm. It was incredible to see how mental health can affect us and it was awesome that some of these things were brought into the mainstream. I REALLY hope Joaquin gets the Oscar, he needs to be nominated. Can’t wait to see it again tomorrow, movie was AMAZING!

2 Likes

@OmniLad,

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! I object wholeheartedly to the idea that there are no common identifiable traits to assailants. In reality, there are a host of identifiable factors correlated with the people who perpetuate violence. For instance, people who commit violent crimes are overwhelmingly male and young. There are host of other factors which also correlate to violent action. Of course these tendencies should never be used to judge any individuals in these groups, but these tendencies absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt are correlated to violent action.

2 Likes

I meant, “wholeheartedly object…”

Why can’t we edit already?!?!?

BatWatch you want a feature that multiple people have wanted on these forums since this service started? That is heresy.

Though being serious its ridiculous that they still haven’t added the edit function yet.

2 Likes

It’s just media hype I don’t buy it for a second.

1 Like

Those are very surface level and broad descriptors that can’t be used to identify who is a possible assailants. At best it can be used to know who isn’t a suspect. You’re right, almost all assailants are white men. But thats so broad that it can’t be useful. Hope that helps clarify it.

2 Likes

@danel That’s very rude and I believe it’s a very limited world view. I’m sorry you feel so strongly in that way.

2 Likes

Also, what do you mean by “girlfriend”, I’ve been racking my brain on it, and I can only come up with a transphobic response. Like you’re implying that someone who is a trans female or non binary is not a real person. I hope I’m wrong on that one.

I think he’s implying the guy’s girlfriend is his hand.

Very mature.

On the subject at hand, I think the panic is silly, but not all fears are rational, so if I’m going to freak out every time I see a spider, I can’t judge anybody else for not going to a movie.

2 Likes

I flagged his response either way. I have no problem with disagreeing with someone. It’s important that we have healthy discussions with people we disagree with in order to be better people. But insulting people and mocking people’s way of life is just very dated, immature, wrong, mean spirited, etc. I think everyone on DCU can agree that that type of behavior has no place in the community.

5 Likes

@omnilad lol. If someone disagrees with YOUR point of view, they’re (fill in the blank) phobic, anti(fill in the blank), etc. What it comes down to, is this kid is scared to go see a movie, a movie, because someone told him to be scared to go see a movie. He is not making decisions for himself but rather being led along and have others decide his destiny for him. “I flagged his comment” because you can’t have an adult conversation about why you, or anyone else, shouldn’t be influenced by someone other than yourself. Grow up and make your own decisions

Listen, I said that was the only reason I could think of. Trust me, I’m glad it’s not that. And there is nothing more I would love than an adult conversation. But I do t see how name calling or ridiculing people is very mature. It feels so childish. Like I said, I encourage a healthy discussion with people I disagree with. At the end of the day, that way of talking and treatment of others breaks DCU’s community guidelines. I’m sorry you don’t see that. This has nothing to do with your opinion, genuinely. It has every way with how you conduct yourself.

2 Likes

Also, I feel like my conversations in other threads with people I disagree with show that I’m fully capable of having an adult conversation. And that I also have no issue with having my viewpoints challenge. I endorse both. I hope ive helped clear up my issue with what you said and that you are able to grow out of this persona. Thank you for hearing my points.

1 Like

@OmniLad you truly don’t get the point. No one should have to ask others if they should go a see a movie because they’re scared. They’re scared because someone that has their own racist, political agenda, told them to be scared.

@danel. I think your missing MY point. My point is that there’s no reason for you to talk to others in that way. Your insults are demeaning and rude. “Go take your anxiety pills.” Youre asking to have a mature, adult conversation yet are completely incapable of doing it yourself. You can disagree with someone. You can think that basis of their argument is wrong. But there is no reason for you to treat them with disrespect. I hope you understand. And I encourage you to share your sources for of the “racist” places that the op got their fear from.

1 Like