House of Horror Week 1 (Oct 1-Oct 7)

Not only am I from Cleveland but I live in Cleveland as well! Big Chuck was my grandmother’s neighbor’s brother. I have actually met him a few times as a kid and he was always nice.

2 Likes

I liked 2 of the stories in Elvira’s House of Mystery. Everything else was kind of meh.

4 Likes

Just finished the Swamp Thing annual.It’s a little rough reading the climax of a story you didn’t read. Strangely enough I was able to comprehend it more than most justice league arc endings. I like the concept that good and evil are more like forces of nature than actual beings directing the universe.

As for the house of mystery’s place in the story. I love the back and forth between Cain and Able between this issue and the Vertigo issue we read earlier. I like at the end Able’s questioning their place and Cain is like whatever.

2 Likes

Should we break the weeks up into separate topics or should we keep it all in one thread? I kind of like breaking them up so we don’t have overlapping conversations and the scroll function on this app sucks. At the same time having everything in one place is kind of nice.

3 Likes

Nice @D4RK5TARZ ! I moved back to Cleveland a couple years ago.

3 Likes

I want to move to Cleveland. Everybody else is doing it!

2 Likes

As you should :rofl:

1 Like

I will be posting a new topic for the next books that we will be reading. You can expect the new topic later tonight when I get home from work.

I like having the books listed and then through the week posting questions and other things of the sort.

2 Likes

I like how you’ve been introducing the books a whole lot. It’s great getting some perspective on books that I wouldn’t normally read out of order.

2 Likes

I will say that this week there will be a one-shot, the first issue of a “classic” title, and if the poll earlier posted goes the way I am expecting a continuation from last week. The titles won’t be connected like this week but we will be returning to House of Mystery in the future. There are also titles that I want to read but want to wait for November of December so we read all 5 or 6 books at once. Please keep the idea that the club will transition to bi-weekly then so the amount of books won’t be different.

3 Likes

I would definitely consider it part of the DCU. My first exposure to the house of mystery was in in the new 52 Justice League Dark where it seemed to be a well established location.

I enjoyed the batman and superman issues but it seemed as though they molded the House of Mystery story to fit in the characters world rather than the other way around. Everyone who reads Superman knows Mr. Mxyzptlk and instead of Cain being the host it was Mxyzptlk. In Batman he was followed by Cain rather than Cain telling a tale and Batman kind of just did his normal thing but outside of Gotham. They were enjoyable stories but they felt a little off.

1 Like

@dogwelder9 Those are cool. Your shelf looks impressive

3 Likes

Yeah, the stuff with Elvira herself was fun, but some of the stories were “eh.” The one that I found strange was the Japanese sorcerer story, since not only did it not feel like a horror story, it just ran for so freaking long. That was a full-length comic issue worth of story I just could not give two solitary craps about, and I just don’t think it fits the kind of book House of Mystery is.

The other stories like the wizards playing their version of D&D and the kids manipulating the ugly kid with the camera were solid, though.

3 Likes

I thought that they might have been similar to the marvel masterworks books. I figured it would be rude to ask if they were b&w. So many stories for your money.

2 Likes

And B&W works just fine for some stories, Sgt Rock too.

3 Likes

I was just looking at those books on Amazon, sort of as a treat to myself. I think I will keep looking but they are on my radar. Did they also make Showcase Presents for other horror titles like Witching Hour?

I have a few of the Showcase books like Wonder Woman and Superman Family. They are out of print now so the prices range from $30 to $90.

3 Likes

I just finished the first issue of the '08 issue, and I think it’s definitely the strongest of the three issues here. This series really puts the House and it’s, erm, mysteries at the forefront, as well as interesting characters that are stuck there. And the story in the middle was really well done – so gross, very creepy! :smiley:

3 Likes

I agree, that was the winner this week. I am happy we are reading book 2 in the next House of Horror.

You have missed nothing, which is sad to say. The story was too long and rather dull.

1 Like