House of Horror Week 1 (Oct 1-Oct 7)

I literally just laughed at this.

2 Likes

Then I can go to sleep on my work is done

2 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with having humor in this book, but honestly, that’s what the host is for, whether it’s Cain or Elvira – after the spooky story, they come in, give you a breather before going on to the next one. But ideally the main stories shouldn’t end in a punchline.

Plus I don’t really follow sports that much so it just didn’t register as that funny to me. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

There is definitely a way to pull of humor in a horror story, a punchline is not the way. I read that twice actually and the second time felt like a really long build bad up for a horrible stand-up comic.

1 Like

The House of Mystery and the DC Universe

This week we have read 3 different comics from 3 different eras of the House of Mystery. Does this horror anthology series fit into the greater DC universe or is it just its own thing?

To give a brief answer, characters like J’onn J’onz had stories in House of Mystery from 1964 to 1966. During this time, Dial H for Hero was also introduced in House of Mystery. That doesn’t really answer if the actual House of Mystery is in the greater DC universe. As Swamp Thing fans know, Abby Arcane once had to decide between Cain’s House of Mystery or Abel’s House of Secrets in Swamp Thing 50. The House of Mystery was also featured as a location in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman universe in The Dreaming. In Brave and the Bold 93 Batman has entered the House of Mystery. In DC Comics Presents 53 Cain and Superman teamed up to stop Mr. Mxyzptlk from entering the House of Mystery. Most recently, John Constantine occupied the House of Mystery in the New 52 and used it as his base for Justice League Dark.

Stay tuned for a short bio on Elvira, Mistress of the Dark!

5 Likes

I suppose it’s in and out. The houses are sort of transient. Where they want to be. I feel like I remember reading a story that said when they’re in the DCU reality, they’re actually in Kentucky.

1 Like

I agree that the Houses are 100% in the DCU. Are the stories told there part of the DCU? I’d say that’s iffy with unreliable narrators telling the tales.

3 Likes

With an unexpected but great timing, Mixtape Monday is inspired by Elvira’s House of Mystery! Feel free to add your own songs to the mixtape and be sure to check out some of the great music that has been posted.

Speaking of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, her real name is Cassandra Peterson and she was born in 1951 on September 17th in Manhattan, Kansas. When she was 3 she was badly burned by boiling water and spent months in the hospital with a little over 30% of her body needing a skin graft.
After she graduated high school, at age 17, her parents signed a release form for her to be a Las Vegas showgirl. Fast-forwarding to 1981 she landed the role to be the horror hostess after the Vampira reboot fell through. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark was born. Movie Macabre debuted on September 26, 1981, and aired until November 2, 1986. The show was originally a local late-night movie show hosted by Elvira with skits in between commercial breaks. She appeared on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and many advertising campaigns ranging from Coors to root beer.

Not only a horror movie hostess, but Elvira was also featured in two movies. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988) and Elvira’s Haunted Hills (2001). The first movie was a horror-comedy movie, showcasing her brand of humor and dancing under the guise of a haunted house motif. Meanwhile, Elvira’s Haunted Hills, while still being a horror-comedy, was more a tribute to the Hammer horror movies of the 60s and early 70s. In 1986, Elvira made her comic book debut in Elvira’s House of Mystery. She has since had multiple comic book series from an array of publishers.
imageimage

If you would like to see Elvira’s Movie Macabre or her first movie for free you can check out tubi.tv.

5 Likes

Thanks for the link! Reading this reminded me that I’ve wanted to look at some of her work. Erm…pun not intended. :laughing:

2 Likes

She also stopped aging 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Seriously. Like if someone told me she bathed in the blood of sacrificed virgins to retain her youth, I wouldn’t even bat an eye.

3 Likes

I believe I will be watching some of her movies/horror hostess things very soon.
I have posted this elsewhere on here but I feel like it fits the conversation. You might say that I am fan of hers.

and my newest addition

6 Likes

Bat an eye? Considering the results, I would completely excuse it.

2 Likes

I’m getting the feeling…that you’re a Svengoolie fan. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have not watched as much Svengoolie as I have Elvira or Big Chuck and Little John, the local movie hosts.

1 Like

Quick question, as this is the first club I have organized, I figured it would be best to ask everyone what they would like for the 3rd book for October 8-October 14.

• House of Mystery 2 (2008)
  • Something else

0 voters

If House of Mystery wins, I will keep that going until at least the first story arc ends.

Nice Collection!

2 Likes

Are you from Cleveland too? I used to watch big Chuck &lil John show as a kid. My older brother tried sending a skit to them.

3 Likes

i just read Elvira’s House of Mystery 1! i loved every panel that featured her, but if i’m honest i struggled to make it through each mini story. i wish they had been narrated by Elvira, with a drawing of her on every other page or so. kinda similar to how Harley will narrate her stories at times. overall i enjoyed it and look forward to 2! :grin:

6 Likes

I feel the same way. The art is fun, but the stories are not engaging.

4 Likes