House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite

He’s normally a Hawkman villain like what is mentioned here. In fact, according to Wiki, in recent iterations, he was a highway robber in the old west who was hung by western heroes Nighthawk and Cinnamon for a crime he didn’t commit. He was cursed for his ghost to never go past the next plain of existence until his killers do – the problem is that Nighthawk and Cinnamon were actually the old west incarnation of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, who were cursed in a constant string of reincarnations. So murdered by them, never allowed to pass from this Earth because of them, he’s been a constant thorn at their side.

He’s also fought other heroes, including the likes of Batman, the JSA, the Teen Titans and Stargirl.

In other media, he’s probably most prominent in episodes of Batman: Brave & The Bold.

2 Likes

Just finished Plunge 1. I know it’s setting up the series in this issue so I will be kind in this post. So at this point I will give the story an A-. The art is good and fits the mood of the series, so I give it an A.

2 Likes

Thanks! He seems like he would be a weird arch enemy of Hawkman, at least the couple enraged psychotic versions I’ve seen of him lately.

1 Like

I have just read Ghosts 1 and 2. My first thought is that I wish there was more than 2 issues of this series. Sadly, for the time being, these are the only issues that were made as they were reprints from the Ghosts Giant 1.

The Spectre story was great. It reminded me a lot of a silver age book. I have also learned that Jim Corrigan has never seen a Dali painting.

Issue 2 has two stories in it and they were both okay but nothing really stuck out to me. I am interested in seeing more of The Gentleman Ghost. I think the Constantine story was okay but would have benefited if it was it a little longer.

1 Like

It seemed to me like Spectre was it’s own persona that is hosted by Corrigan. In fact, that’s basically how it was in the last big book he starred in before this, Gotham By Midnight, where Corrigan would basically have to solve the case and try to make things right before The Spectre would emerge and basically destroy everything in his righteous fury.

By the way, I would recommend that series for the people of this club, very fun stuff. The first arc had exquisitely creepy art from the famed Ben Templesmith. We also covered it at over at the World of Bats club last October, if you don’t mind a little promotion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plunge is incredible. Everyone has already said much of what I would have. But, reading this you’re put in the position of the crew. Do you trust the aliens enough to cooperate. You may not even have a choice, but helping them get off the planet would be a good thing. If, you can trust them.
I’m here for any Hill House readings based on what we found in Plunge (coming soon to HBOMax if they have any sense)

3 Likes

I cannot agree more. Plunge has exceeded my expectations as I was somewhat iffy on this title and imprint, to be honest. It seemed like a quick cash in for Joe Hill, at least on paper. Little did I know that he was writing at full force for Plunge. I really hope the other book he wrote is as good as we will be finding out in the near future. Another thing that I really enjoyed about Plunge was how easy it was to read. I finished the 4 books in one sitting and it didn’t feel like I was reading very long.

1 Like

awesomeness

1 Like

Finished Plunge (at least as much that’s on the service right now) and I’m definitely intrigued. Something that I was not expecting coming in was how funny it would be. Of course, we get the banter from all the main characters before they go to the island, but even after that we have jokes from the likes of the strange alien hive mind worm things – and it somehow doesn’t break the tension of those later issues.

That said, I kind of get the feeling I know where this book is going to go. After all, you don’t introduce a potential bomb like that without setting it off at some point

2 Likes