Holiday Traditions & Comics

Do you have a tradition of reading a specific comic(s) around a certain holiday or special time of the year?

For example, I try to read Detective Comics #826 by Paul Dini around Christmas Time. In it, Joker kidnaps Robin (Tim Drake) on Christmas Eve. It’s an issue I really loves and it’s a stand alone which is great.

Another Example: While not a comic, I try to read Ray Bradbury’s Halloween Tree on Halloween.

So…

1. Do you have a tradition of reading, giving, or receiving a comic on or around a holiday?
  2. Do you have any holiday themed comics you would recommend (Long Halloween immediately comes to mind of course)?
7 Likes

Brilliant book! Noel is a great read at Christmas each year, along with the DC Holiday books from
the past few years.

4 Likes

I generally don’t have any consistant comic themed holiday traditions that involve comics themselves.

That may change as this baby nears it’s one year birthday, as a re-read with a Superman mug full of cocoa will be in order.

5 Likes

Every year I get one new ornament for the tree, usually DC themed but not always this year I’ve already decided it will be hallmarks Wonder Woman in her invisible jet. My grandma always use to catch me up on comics and get me all the volumes I was interested in reading. So Christmas was like DC heaven. Me and her were incredibly close and she passed Unexpectedly last week. This Christmas will not be the same.

6 Likes

I haven’t yet. What do you recommend and is their specific search or list where they are all collected?

2 Likes

Also, the DCU Holiday Yule Log is the perfect reading accompaniment that’s good year round.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

2 Likes

What a fun recommendation! :smiley: I don’t currently have any comic-themed holiday traditions, but that could absolutely change.

3 Likes

@McEddard thanks man, funeral was today, so it’s been rough but luckily we got a new episode of Titans to keep me distracted.

5 Likes

@reload Sorry to hear of your loss, but it certainly sounds like you have some wonderful memories.

Positive wishes being sent your way.

2 Likes

I like to give comic books along with candy bars to trick or treaters each Halloween. The kids love it and each year more and more kids visit. I make sure the comics are age appropriate.

4 Likes

That’s amazing! I want to Trick Or Treat at your door with my children!

4 Likes

Also, another book I read each year is a short Tim Drake Robin Christmas story from the DCU Holiday Bash #3 from 1999. Brilliant little story involving Tim.

2 Likes

Got this on the TV in the den as we type this morning. Tis the season to be thankful and grateful and kind! I love celebrating the seasons! I am a seasonally themed type of person all the way! Was just working on my seasonal list some more this morning… I think we can link lists now… Although, I noticed the settings on lists is now ‘make private’ & the default is set to private. A small change from 1.0 when it was defaulted to ‘make public’ & may I say that is a Bold move & the right move to make considering the climate in tech currently. Wow! Go DCU! Thinking about the users privacy & showing that they care. Nicely Done! BRB… I am Back, hmmm… not sure how to share lists on smartphones… it is public as “Seasonal”

2 Likes

I always read Batman: Noel in December.

4 Likes

I’d nearly missed this, and I’m so very sorry to hear about your loss. I also just wanted to let you know that you have the support of myself and so many others here.

4 Likes

Thanks, I don’t think I could put into worlds how close we were so it’s definitely been rough but I appreciate the kind words.

2 Likes

Every Halloween, i read the long Halloween. then, I go out as a DC Comics Character who is both creepy and obscure and see who recognizes me

3 Likes

Superman: For All Seasons #1 is perfect for Father’s Day. It is so touching and with the focus on Jonathan Kent it always makes me think of my dad.

1 Like

Justice League Dark is the perfect spooky comic for me. Its got black magic, ancient gods, Man-Bat, body horror, and a fantastic team dynamic. What’s not to love?

2 Likes