Hey DC Staff...Notice A Trend?

I’ve been watching comments for several days now, thinking maybe others were wildly excited with the service and I was the only skeptical one. I haven’t found a single other person excited about the way you’ve handled your comic offering. And let’s be clear…the shows are not going to be enough to keep us here. Kevin Smith isn’t going to be enough to keep us here. Only full runs and the majority of your older comic library available at all times will keep us here.

When businesses offer services and the vast majority of responses is as negative as this is, companies need to listen. Or they’ll become failures. Like the DC movies are faring compared to the Marvel movies.

You’ve got a chance to get this right and to apologize for the terrible selection of comics that are out there now (and honestly, it’s far worse than I imagined it could be…I thought you’d at least have intact storylines). If you choose to ignore us, pretty soon you’ll find this place is a ghost town with very few subscribers.

I hope this doesn’t happen. I hope you choose to listen and fix this instead.

137 Likes

They really should offer so much more for their comics! Especially the rebirth titles. At least the whole first volume! I mean this is dc universe not part dc.

OP expect this post to be deleted. One of the things I noticed about these forums is that the mods are quick to delete negative posts.

1 Like

OP expect this post to be deleted. One of the things I noticed about these forums is that the mods are quick to delete negative posts.

2 Likes

Just a reminder, Marvel Unlimited started the same amount of comics when they first launch their subscription.

“Marvel’s Digital Comics only grew modestly, reaching over 24 comics in April, 2006 until finally it relaunched in November, 2007 as Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.Unlike earlier initiatives, Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited was a subscription service with over 2,500 comics available to subscribers, with new comics added on a weekly basis.”

This was just comics only. DCU has comics, animated movies/series, TV shows, and live action films. Oh yeah, it just launched too.

8 Likes

@edot that excuse would fly if DC Universe had come out at the same time. You can’t use the past like that to judge the decisions DC makes now when they are fully capable of putting more comics on here

3 Likes

@Needmorecomics is right. Marvel came out with 2,500 comics at launch because that’s the amount of comics they had digitized in 2007. On top of that, they promised to expand.

DC, on the other hand, has (I’m guessing) 20k-30k bare minimum, but they explicitly said they’ll have a rotating selection. I have no idea why so many people keep saying “just wait, they just launched, it’ll get better.” It may get better, but not by a ton. This is—more or less—their plan.

7 Likes

There is some good stuff here, complete runs of Impulse, Batman Eternal, Most of Legends of the Dark Knight, etc…but there is some bad, spotty James Robinson’s Starman, only part of the ‘Return of Barry Allen,’ only 1 issue of Wolfman and Perez, New Teen Titans original series, but I expect the selection to get better as time progresses

Like people have been saying this is new things… day one and is doing something vastly different then marvel. Rome wasn’t built in a day

Also I believe DC is reading all the comment from every treed to build upon what we see now/ make it something that marvel and other multimedia companies look at. Please give this time

5 Likes

@boyincape Marvel is laughing at DC right now. Only thing they don’t have already is a streaming app which will come with Disney

4 Likes

ROTATING selection scares me. If they intend to keep the number of issues available fairly constant by removing current offerings when they add new stuff, then the shows better be stellar- because I’m here for the comics.

5 Likes

Agreed, please ditch the curated list! If the comics selection doesn’t expand significantly and soon I will not be renewing my subscription.

4 Likes

I actually disagree. I think the comic library offering is pretty decent. The fact that I can binge read Jack Kirby’s Jimmy Olsen run or New Gods is a strong plus in my book. : )

8 Likes

It honestly befuddles me how anyone can defend the comic selection.

It’s a preview section to sucker us into buying more comics after we already have a subscription.

Marvel Unlimited is cheaper for a year and just blows it away. It’s not even in the same ballpark. Which is why if there isn’t a change, Marvel will be only one getting my money even though I like DC more.

9 Likes

The “curated” selection of comics is disappointing, but I’m not here solely for the comics. Perhaps DC could make comic additions by theme (Imaginary and Elseworlds stories), era (Golden, Silver or Bronze ages) or artists (Kirby, Swan, Infantino, Perez, Kubert) on a monthly basis.

A deeper selection of comics would be a more compelling reason to renew the subscription. I was hoping to read many of the golden & sliver age stories

2 Likes

Came for the comics, have found very few to justify continued membership.

Most titles I’ve searched have had painfully few issues. 1 issue of Constantine? 12 issues of justice league dark? What’re you limiting these for?

When I buy those same titles on comiXology, it’s for 50% off or more. My comiXology spending on DC books is less annually than what I’m paying here. Marvel gets $100 from me yearly for unlimited plus, and you could too if you’d put enough issues of a title that it takes me more than a week to finish the books available.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback on this issue. We’re always looking to improve to make the service better for all DC fans, so please keep providing your feedback and suggestions for improvement - we appreciate it!

9 Likes

A deeper selection is needed. I was surprised by the single comic issue number. Full story arcs is a must.

1 Like

I agree with all of the previous comments. The comics selection will help determine whether I renew my monthly subscription. Unless something changes I will probably discontinue until it’s enhanced.

3 Likes