Hey DC Staff...Notice A Trend?

@dc_rachael I realize it’s unfair to take frustrations out on a DC employee and I’m sorry you’re stuck in a position of dealing with frustrated customers when you probably have no say in changing the cause of that frustration but, if your goal or that of your supervisors is to defuse said frustration, it’s going to take something a lot more concrete and specific than a blanket, empty assurance that someone at DC is reading.

More comics and complete story arcs will be a must moving forward. It’s only the first week so I’m not going to jump ship at all. For me so far I have found so many comics that I’ve not read to keep me going. Let’s give them time to keep adding more.

4 Likes

@nihilrien Well put. I agree.

I’ve said it on virtually every post in these forums and I’m gonna keep on saying it because I completely agree. I would GLADLY pay DOUBLE the fee for a DC Unlimited type of service. Keep your streaming. I own all of the older stuff anyway. What I want to see is an every increasing library of comic books ranging from New Fun #1 to about the end of Flashpoint. I personally don’t need anything New52 on. I have, read, or it’s been so recent I don’t need to re-read that stuff. I would even accept them not including “evergreen” type trades like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Watchmen. But having the ability to go back and read Silver Age Batman or The Weird mini-series or Dial H or the complete collection House of Mystery/House of Secrets. Not to mention access to stuff they don’t even really put out at all that they own like Charleton, Fawcett and Quality Comics collections. If they keep the app at this horrendous 2500 limit with rotating titles I wont’ even bother using the site and will cancel first chance I get.

7 Likes

DC folks. I’m not one to choose fanboy sides. That being said, I do have my preferences. As far as comics go, and superhero world building, I’m a DC guy. Marvel is getting my money right now though, because of their Marvel Unlimited service. I realize that the DC Universe app just rolled out. Please bulk up the comic book content with complete runs. Many of us are here to read, you guessed it, comics! Surely, DC is trying to create new fans…just don’t forget about your old fans who want back issues.

5 Likes

I’m a Marvel zombie who’s hoped for a solid decade that DC would offer their own “Unlimited” service so that I could see what I’d been missing in the 25 years since I read Starman, Doom Patrol and “Hush.” I was thrilled when DCU was announced and signed up eager to dive into the archive to find things I’d heard about as significant in DC history. I figured I’d start with Action…then noticed that the collection jumps from the first ten issues to the mid 800s with nothing at all in between.

A note at the top of the page reads “Can’t find the books you’re looking for? The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October.”

For PURCHASE?!?

6 Likes

Yeah dc…do what marvel did…you know that unlimited bad business decision that if it wasn’t for Disney they would not be around… Ok they were in trouble before the unlimited service but it did not help them any… It’s not a good business decision to give access to thousands of dollars worth of Comics for pennies. Having different story arcs for each character makes sense…that change every month or two…but the whole library for 7.99 or 75.00…not a good business decision… The writers and artists of these amazing Comics need to also get paid… Just an opinion

1 Like

Sman, the point here is simple. If it’s not a viable business model for DC then they don’t have to offer digital back issues. But all we’re saying (and from reading the forums, the VAST majority of comics fans are in agreement here) is that if the comics selection doesn’t improve in a radical way, we’ll stop sending them money.

Given the fact that there is no additional cost to put all their comics online, it seems to me the better business decision is to do that and keep us as subscribers. Certainly more people aren’t going to jump on the bandwagon because the comics selection is so poor. The only way they can lose money at this point (because I seriously doubt many people will pay per-issue for comics not in the rotation…I agree with others, it was deceptive on their part not to admit it up front)…the only way they can lose money…is to cause their subscriber base to start dropping because people are so disappointed with the service.

And I’m just saying that’s going to happen. The TV shows and movies aren’t compelling enough on their own to pull in a huge fan base. The DC movies I like, I purchased on Amazon. If I want to watch the TV shows, there are plenty of ways to do that without a subscription here. And as for their original content…sorry, not worth a subscription for me (and, I think, a lot of people here).

Am I interested in the Swamp Thing series? Sure. Will I subscribe monthly to see it? No. It’s the same for every other show they’re making available.

So, all we’re saying is this…if they want their business model to consist of TV shows and movies, and a small, rotating list of comics + a list you can buy, then thanks but we’re not interested. I don’t wish them any harm. There are lots of businesses and products I don’t want to spend my money on.

This will just become one of those I don’t care to pay for. Which is too bad…I really liked the Silver Age of DC Comics.

7 Likes

I disagree. Don’t recall many stating that they wanted a service like marvels from day 1. But some of us feel the comic selection here really needs to improve. I was also cautious and only did the free trial. For this service to survive I have a feeling you will need a base of people like me who want to support and read a large selection of comics with large runs at the very least.

1 Like

Should have clarified that I disagreed with smans post.

1 Like

I can understand what your saying…and Comics from 30 years ago I can see being included… But to have Comics that cost 2.99 or 4.00 a comic right now available for 7.99 a month 6 months from now makes no sense… You are losing major profits and generally that loss goes to the writers and artist…now you mentioned silver age…I agree… But I am seeing people who want literally the whole line up to just a few months ago…that would be a bad business decision

2 Likes

I just feel at the very least more New 52 stuff. If you want to hook a person into buying more comics you go from current continuity jumping on directions. New 52 is the continuity with Rebirth being a soft reboot.

1 Like

The post about Comics is in multiple places through all the different discussion threads…and many want the whole line up to a few months out… I get all the threads mixed up… My mistake if this thread is only requesting the line up of Comics from many years ago…that I can understand to a point…

1 Like

@sman1938 if it’s such a bad business decision then why is Marvel still successfully doing it? Only extreme comic fans like buying physical copies. A service like this is for casuals that wouldn’t get into it otherwise. Diehards will still buy physical copies no matter what

1 Like

Sman, if DC were to make all of their comics through the year 2000 available online, I’d be happy. That gives them 18 years of more recent comics to sell per-issue. I’d never buy them, but I’d be okay and I’d retain my membership. The comics I want to read are from earlier than 2000.

Having said that, there is no good business reason that they shouldn’t post their newer stuff on here, with some sort of delay like Marvel has.

Again, if they want to be profitable they need to respect us and develop this to meet the demand. The demand is for the majority of their comics to be online without rotating them out, and without cherry picking a few issues here and there and expecting us to pay them to access other issues.

That’s highly insulting to us.

7 Likes

Honestly I am kind of mad that I’ve got to pay to read comics, as well as for the streaming. I thought it was everything for the one price? And they don’t have much new stuff on here, which is crazy. I can’t read Dark Knights Metal, so what’s the point? And seriously, I can’t just read the comics… and I’ve got to download them? The Marvel app is already way better comic wise then this one.

3 Likes

I kept putting this off because I didn’t see anything about offering comics. Then I saw Kevin Smith pimping it and the big splash on offering up comics. I have been a member of Marvel Unlimited since the beginning because of all the comics they offer subscribers. I have been on here for about 20 minutes and I am already about to cancel my trial. It’s ridiculous the limited amount of comics you are offering. Yeah I don’t really care about the movies or TV shows because they are still subpar even compared to Syfy TV and Asylum movies with few exceptions but I was looking forward to the comics. Hopefully you all will hear all of us and make some serious changes soon.

3 Likes

I agree with everyone here. Also, I thought that by launch date I would be able to buy new digital comics here, just like in comixology. Several articles and the DC spokesperson promised that.

I can see both sides of the argument. Ultimately, it feels like paying $8/mo for comic advertisements or previews. Here’s what I personally think could make most happy.

Action Comics #1 - New 52 and everything in between. ( included in subscription)

And…

Fix the community forums. There is no way to track what you’ve replied to, no notifications or anything.

I do hope the powers at DC listen. I love DC but I’ll have to leave if this service turns out to be one huge $$ grab.

3 Likes

I only buy comics once in a never because you can read most comics free on dozens of sites. So the fact that DC is offering the digital catalog meant i could pay for a netflix-like service to watch one of the 10 shows on here and read 1000s of comics. So instead of not gaining any money from the people who refuse to pay $3 for a single 15 page issue, we can read the comics and actually pay for them through the membership. Yeah its only a few bucks a month for them, but thats literally infinitely more than they would make from someone who isnt buying any. So many people would come here if they released the entire comic selection. They would have no choice but to continue giving DC money because they love the service so much. I dont want the first issue. I want all of them. Thats $80 a year you aren’t getting from me or anyone else that feels this is a scam. Netflix doesn’t charge me additional fees for content and they are one of the biggest, if not the biggest streaming service ever. Almost every single person i know has netflix. I give them like $80 a year. That WAS $80 a year i was gonna give you guys. But not if you’re going to cocktease. Why not just release everything and practically force people to buy subscriptions? If you did this and i didnt get a subscription i would be stupid. Even the casual comic readers would get a subscription and it would probably cause more people to be interested in comics. If i was told ten years ago i could read any official DC comic online for like 10 bucks a month, i would shit myself. But all i see is a subscription to shop. I dont pay to walk into the grocery store. I go to a different store. If you don’t release all the comics, you are going to be bringing in 0 profit by the 3rd month when we are done watching the 8 shows on here (lol at paying netflix price for like 1/100th of the content)

6 Likes