Henry Cavill being recast!?

SO… Just saw the rumors reported. This isn’t the first time his recasting has been rumored, though.

How are you all feeling about it? Like it? Does it make you sad? Where is the DCEU heading? Soft reboot coming?

2 Likes

Didn’t Caville post something or make a comment about wanting to play Superman again? I’ve been hearing these rumors for years, I don’t believe it. I think the media browbeat Affleck so much he just left to get away from it.

4 Likes

Also, can you provide the source you saw this rumor from?

Because I haven’t seen anything from any of the credible sources talking about this.

1 Like

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/09/23/rumor-henry-cavill-out-as-superman-j-j-abrams-will-look-to-recast-with-younger-actor/

http://epicstream.com/news/JudithAnneDelaCruz/JJ-Abrams-Might-Be-Recasting-Superman-Henry-Cavill-To-Be-Replaced-With-Younger-Actor

https://cosmicbook.news/dceu-reboot-abrams-gunn-reeves-more

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/superman-reportedly-wbs-supergirl-movie/

I in no way claim these sources as credible. I haven’t even been able to read the articles yet because my work blocks almost everything (so glad DC Universe isn’t!). My coworker told me about the rumors and these are the first links a google search pulls up. I fully acknowledge this isn’t the first time the rumors have been thrown around.

If DC were to make my day, we’d get another Henry Cavill Superman movie with JJ Abrams at the helm. However, I’m happy with a good straight up Superman movie in any shape or form. I don’t care who is acting or directing, so long as the story, characterization and visuals are top notch.

4 Likes

I think you can read between the lines on the Abrahms deal and see that he will be the one on the Hollywood side to guide the DCEU. I would like to see a Geoff Johns scripted Superman movie directed by Abrahms with Braniac as the main villain.

As far as those websites, they are the fake news of the comic book “news” industry. Bleeding Cool may be the only one that is worse.

3 Likes

First, credit should go to the OP for posting the links. Most people here will just mention rumors without showing where they heard it from.

A lot of the sites listed are clickbait sites notorious for making stuff up.

I think when you see someone like The Hollywood Reporter or Variety reporting on something, then it would be cause for panic.

5 Likes

The big tip offs btw were Cosmic Book News and We Got This Covered. They’re blatant about posting rumors as facts.

Few people take them seriously, these days. It’s kind of like reading an article on The Onion, only The Onion let’s you know their articles aren’t meant to be taken seriously.

6 Likes

These rumors have been swirling for a while. Basically, he (Cavill) wants to play Superman again, but he doesn’t want to be paid scale, which is what the studio is apparently indicating it would like to do. We’ll see.

3 Likes

Just like anything else, we’ll have to wait and see.

2 Likes

I want Cavill back. It’s David Goyer who should stay away from Superman.

3 Likes

I would also like Cavill, he was my first superhero movie and I think he did a great job in MOS and I loved the changes that were made to him in JL.

1 Like

It’s time for someone new in the role

3 Likes

Christopher Reeve and Tom Welling were in the role for a decade. Surely one more film won’t hurt.

4 Likes

If Cavill is truly out then I would love to see them go the “Chris Reeve route” and cast a young, unknown actor in the role of The Man of Steel.

1 Like

The one thing that I am impressed by is that they always seem to find actors who embody Superman and look just like him. Reeves and Cavill both looked exactly how I would imagine him, and if the hire someone else, he needs to be on that level as well.

DC are great at casting. They will go the extra mile as well because it’s Supes. Whoever they pick, I’m confident it will be a good choice.

2 Likes

This is assuming, of course, that Cavill is out, which I don’t believe. The fact we haven’t heard anything official leaves the door open for him to return.

If I had to speculate (mind you, this isn’t fact and until I hear from an official source) maybe both sides are waiting for either a script everyone is happy with or to come to a new agreement for Cavill. Again, that’s just speculation on my part, not fact.

2 Likes

If that is the case, I could see Cavill being frustrated with the plan to release a Supergirl film with him as a cameo before another Superman film.

I think because nothing solid has come out information-wise and we’re so used to being given so much information ahead of time, that’s what’s causing all this unnecessary panic.

2 Likes