Harley’s Crew | Book Club | Pride Spotlight: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy & Coding

Its why I can’t always say she’s a lesbian. My dear Plant-lady is :100: complicated…and it’s why I :green_heart: her so.

I may have some opinions on certain developments… gonna have to come back for that, tho. Lol #anotherloadedtopic

8 Likes

Okay, my therapist @Razzzcat says I must repeat to myself “I am not Kiteman, I am not Kiteman”

7 Likes

You’re 1000x better than Kiteman!
He’s right for someone out there, tho—just not Ivy, who is a newborn lover, in my mind. :rose:And has a perfect other half in Harley. :diamonds:

8 Likes

I am not a fan of the way that [redacted] is now [redacted] and [redacted] but they might have time to convince me.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

7 Likes

And we still haven’t gotten to coding, Batman, the Bowery Boys, Bobby Darrin, Lenses, or the Death of the Author

6 Likes

That is very well stated.
And if he shows up, I hope he and Ivy are friends.

7 Likes

Gotcha!!! Of course it’s good it’s always good when you’re talking about @Razzzcat the superstar. I love Joker…let’s switch to appreciate the Joker, for being the best fictional villain ever imho. But as a bf, or even friend, yeah, I’m with u on that being hard to imagine.

6 Likes

Aw I would never yell at you! :hugs:

6 Likes

That’s why it’s as ‘yell’ it means as a friend you would fuss at me to get me in the right place. All good.

6 Likes

Absolutely concur with Queen @Razzzcat and Mighty @Mae. Genuine @gwynerso- you are sooo on point here with thoughtful take on the dynamics of Ives’ and Chuck’s ship. Self validation has to be found in one’s self before that one can love another.

Here’s an awesome GIF for ya’ Genuine @gwynerso 'cuz you’re cool. :smiley: :+1:

7 Likes

He’s definitely this :point_up_2:…bf material for Harley…No. 1000 gallons of NO.

I’ll be back— we can talk more about the new stuff @gwynerso. :purple_heart: But yes, Kites and Ivy both kinda drifted aimlessly in that relationship.

Ps. “Yelling” at friends and family (aka harassing) is fairly normal in my world. ORLY?! and How dare you! is used out of love… :eyes: no?? :laughing:

8 Likes

We have soooo much ground to cover @msgtv! Good thing we have space at DCHC too. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

HI

I like it so much I gotta’ up one of my playlist fave old school cuts.

:00_harlivy: :cobb_squad: :harleys_crew: :00_dc_pride_poci:

9 Likes

Yes. How dare u is definitely a term of endearment & I use it in the proper jokey tone all of the time. I’ve even evolved it to “How Darest Thou’ “ when I’m feeling artsy.

5 Likes

This is a great topic and I want to give it the time and attention it deserves so I’ll try to be in all month to discuss things. Thanks @Razzzcat, it’s clear a lot of work went into this thread.

If they kept their henchgirl/boss relationship I think that would have been :ok_hand: best case scenario.

I think Harley turned a blind eye to the egregious crimes and homicidal maniac-ness because she thought she was in love, yes. They definitely were never on the same page. The Joker wanted a clown-themed girl to help him with his crimes. Harley wanted an emotional connection with someone who understands her, and I think she thought she could eventually seduce him. She certainly tried, lol.

Harleen strikes me as a person who probably had a history of unfulfilling relationships in her life and she obviously wanted to be validated and recognized as a capable and intelligent woman. The cool, calm, and collected Dr Quinzel persona is a fake identity based on how she wanted to present herself and be perceived, at least in Paul Dini’s origin. The Joker, albeit a terrible person, was able to unlock Harley’s true self and allowed her actual personality to come out. He didn’t really have to do much, because Harleen saw his interest in her inner clown and remade herself for him. She has an obsessive, passionate, and dependent personality FOR SURE. But ultimately what she had was unrequited love with someone who doesn’t feel those emotions.

I do think that the Joker kind of loved her in a way, but it wasn’t the way that she wanted, it’s very toxic, and he’s shown that he doesn’t love in a sane way at all. His idea of love could be destroying you, literally. With a smile. So y’know, I do enjoy seeing them together because drama is interesting, but if Harley was real I’d say get the heck away from that clown.

8 Likes

I agree with everything you said. In general, I see Ivy as a lesbian and, oftentimes, demisexual. In the Harley Quinn show, I definitely see Ivy as a lesbian; maybe even homoflexible. Though, it’s possible that what may or may not be homoflexibility is really internalized homophobia (towards herself). Basically, she can probably tolerate dating men for the sole purpose of hiding her truer desires. That’s not to say she’s extremely put off by her sexuality, but she’s at least somewhat insecure about it—which we all know stems from her abusive parents. I think season 3 will give thorough insight in that area.

As for Ivy seeming asexual, I can see how that’s possible with some versions of her, considering she mainly focuses on botany, botanical biochemistry, and horticulture. As for how she uses sexuality as a weapon (regardless of whether or not it stems from latent sexuality), I think she must have at least some sort of sexual drive to conjure up that specific ability (even if it is often used to manipulate/murder).

In general, I think Ivy is primarily demisexual with (at least) a very strong preference for women (especially :diamonds:). Some people often assume that being demisexual strictly means that someone has a lower libido in general, which is NOT true in its entirety. Oftentimes, it means that they require a strong connection with someone in order to evoke the full experience of it all, while still harboring a high libido (which is what I sense with Ivy in Harley Quinn). I mean, I think that’s obvious with Ivy in the show. WE ALL SAW IT. :eyes:

9 Likes

I read all of these, and they all sound right which leads me to remember that anytime we develop a taxonomy to describe something as complex as human sexuality we’re describing very broad categories that apply well to populations but can fail to some degree when we attempt to apply them strictly to individuals.

7 Likes

The phrasing I can see as just language involving over time – after all, one of the best out of context Batman comic panels is Joker getting Batman & Robin to have…a word I can’t say on this forum, apparently. But I think y’all know what I’m talking about.

The way I’ve looked at Ivy in the past is that she’s not romantically interested in men. She might physically find men attractive, but it’s all wrapped up in a bunch of bad stuff considering the abuse she’s been through as a child, which developed into a need for control, so it would never happen to her again.

In classic comics when she would want Batman, it wasn’t so much that she was actually in love with him, it was because she was in love with the idea of controlling and dominating the man who is trying to stop her.

I think that’s something that’s faded away to a certain extent as she’s gone past the super-criminal/eco-terrorist route and has slowly moved more into the Earth elemental side to her, which may play into more of the demisexual term.

I think that’s the best, even-handed perspective of that relationship. They liked each other, they cared for each other, but they just weren’t right for each other.

That’s always how I looked at it too – Joker does love Harley, but more specifically he loves the idea that he molded her into something like him. A Pygmalion of Crime.

8 Likes

I think the Joker is incapable of love

6 Likes

I think he’s capable but more in the way you love a Root Beer Float and his love is Mayhem :smiling_imp:

8 Likes