Harley’s Crew | Book Club | Pride Spotlight: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy & Coding

:100:

7 Likes

In my sweetie’s defense, we did see a bunch of French flicks (La Femme Nikita top 10 all time) but the women kissing became a running joke to her,

Movie tag line
Two French housewives struggle to survive in occupied Paris, and kiss at some point

7 Likes

Eureka! The French were baiting me!

6 Likes

#accurate lol

I think this happens, partially to placate a fantasy, yes, but also…women seem to be freer to express these feelings w/o the same prejudice. We could argue that’s coding, as well as bait. :thinking:

8 Likes

Ps. (For @gwynerso too)

Generally Ivy is a lesbian, but I’ve had a few times I’ve read her as Asexual…(perhaps Demi is the more appropriate term). She uses sexuality, but that doesn’t mean she feels it the same as everyone else. Lots of plants are self-pollinating—know what I mean?

I’m very curious what @Hiraeth has to say about this. :green_heart: :0_poison_ivy_bombshells:

9 Likes

Well, sticks toe gently into water, showing a relationship between two women is safer.

6 Likes

Waiting for @Mae to agree or ‘yell’ at me

6 Likes

I can totally get behind this. Especially with how Ivy is portrayed on the HQAS, her Kite-Man thing seemed to me to be her forcing some kind of heteronormativity she thought she needed to perform. She liked Kites but ultimately it was her fooling herself, because her actual deep love was always Harley. They had a special bond that two people meant to be together have, it’s something that’s natural and you can’t just make it happen or force it somehow. Sorry, Chuck, it was always going to be her, and if not Harley, Ivy would probably just live alone in the forest.

7 Likes

Lense at work, I didn’t necessarily see it this way before. But, like a stock character in a Batman issue, I was blinded by Ivy, which she will use against you.
I think she cares, and even loves Kiteman. But, you can love someone and not give them your entire self.

7 Likes

This would definitely be a case of Love is blind. Probably def too…

It’s hard to say for me. Just going from the show you can make a good case for each of them being the maker of the first move but until they dropped their guard and let it happen doesn’t that mean it was a tie?

6 Likes

True. Chuckster was also pushy, and rather stupid :laughing: (deep down we all know that despite his over-confidence, he’s NOT worthy of Ivy) But he let his ego get in the way of seeing the truth: this was never a great romantic love. And unfortunately Ivy has NO experience w/ relationships so how was she supposed to know?? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Until she had a chance w/ Harley…then she took it, because that’s who she really loved. :green_heart: And I don’t judge her for it. She tried so hard to do the right thing, but Kites waited until the last min to help her w/ that heavy lifting. He deserves someone who will love him too, tho. Everyone does.

8 Likes

lol POINTS for @ejdias.95910! :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Gonna defend Kiteman here. I actually think he sublimated his ego for Ivy. As macho as he liked to play it, he willingly took the less dominate role in his relationship with Ivy. To use an old (and likely really outdated expression) she wore the pants in that relationship. I think he was grateful that this beautiful, smart, powerful woman loved him. He should have been. I put zero blame on either, Ivy had to go through what she went through to find out who she was. Kiteman was caught in the crossfire.

7 Likes

Note to self: Pitch Kiteman Caught in the Crossfire to DC

6 Likes

I understand what you mean, but…Did he really tho? I mean, they constantly did what he wanted. Ivy stopped doing Ivy-things ™ all together. :green_heart: He pressured her into marriage even…and what could’ve been a very bland life (for a real supervillain, :raised_hand: sorry REI) that continued to serve his wants and needs. So while he wasn’t typically “macho” and she’s got that Alpha-essence to her, he very much steered the ship, imo, and Ivy just went along because she thinks “that’s the way it supposed to work, I guess?”

Just like I kinda feel like Ivy made the first move w/ Harley…technically. Harley just acted first, if that makes sense.
I should’ve made an option for this in the poll. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Okay, as I thought seriously about what you just wrote, I had to smile. It’s not that I disagree, but I just thought “When she let me get the French movie, wasn’t she still in charge?”
The answer was of course she was. She always was. She owned me.
Sorry for that.

6 Likes

I like the concept of her being some version of grey scale homoromantic, but I also have to be a little careful about the level of projection at that point.
essentially, her physical attraction to an individual is only tied to her deep emotional attachment and tie to them, but she only feels that draw when it comes to women.
I don’t know if you’re keeping up with the latest Batman comics, but the introduction of Gardener has sort of helped cement that they might be taking it in that direction.
There’s also the way her obsession with Batman has traditionally formed in the comics- it’s a lot closer to, say, the Joker’s single minded focus than it is Selina’s interest and playful attachment.
She’s fascinated with Batman’s morality and righteousness, which is as rigid and powerful as her own, and she misplaces that fascination and connection for a romantic interest. Her avoidant attachment style, stemming from her father’s abuse and her mother’s distance, or simply from both of her parent’s indifference and coldness (dependent on which origin) results in her having a difficult time understanding other forms of affection. Her looks and physical appeal, which existed before her pheromone abilities, also make things harder, as men translate her interest into sexual advancements, and heteronormativity states that she should be attracted in return. This also makes sense with her Woodroe caused origin for post crisis.

Basically, her physical attraction only occurs after emotional attachment, but exclusively to women.

7 Likes

That’s you tho :smile: and the woman you love and who loves you back. It was a partnership, and compromise comes naturally when there’s real love. :purple_heart: You both took action.

Kites and Ivy…I see a blind man thinking his dreams have come true running wild w/ plans, and a woman who doesn’t know any better letting things happen (passivity) rather than being proactive w/ her goals.

7 Likes

I don’t think either of them were dominant in the relationship. I think Chuck did what he thought would make Ivy happy with little regard to himself, and Ivy did what she thought would make Chuck happy with little regard to herself- and as a result, even if they had been physically attracted to one another, would not have worked in the long run.
Chuck, more than anything else, wanted to be validated and seen. Ivy provided that for him because she did care for him, and did see him as a non-threatening individual who was worthy of her affection- but she also kind of treated him like a child. She didn’t see him as a full partner because the physical element wasn’t there, nor was the romantic aspect on her side. She originally started their physical relationship as a distraction from her feelings for Harley- and was shocked when she liked the guy. If he’d had more confidence, he would have likely not accepted the fact that he was clearly like…fifth place in Ivy’s heart, perhaps, but he only stayed and went through because he thought that she was…perhaps his only chance. And she felt that, perhaps, he was the man she could tolerate the most, because of her genuine fondness of him as a person.
I really hope he shows up briefly in the next season with somebody who’s willing to love him for all of himself.

8 Likes

Beautifully said! :purple_heart:

6 Likes