Harley’s Crew | Book Club Wks 13 & 14: Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death 1-3

I definitely agree with @Jay_Kay in that it was really distracting that no one seemed to be aware of the fact and/or care that Dr. Pamela Isley is also notorious eco-terrorist Poison Ivy. Like, really, how did she make it through the first phase of the job interview process? Why didn’t the police immediately arrest her after the dead bodies started popping up? In the end, though, I’m not exactly clear on what is going on with Ivy continuity-wise these days, and there are definitely harder-to-believe things that I just accept in comics. So, eventually I rolled with it.

I liked how Ivy was characterized. She’s definitely either a sympathetic villain or an anti-hero in this series (if there’s even a difference between those two things). She still kills people, but those people arguably had it coming (the abusive dog owner and the sleeze-ball, blackmailing co-worker). I’m glad that Ivy is still considered an envoy of The Green.

The sporelings are an interesting plot piece. Let’s wait and see how Ivy does as a single mom. I’m also looking forward to seeing if how the sporelings fit into The Green gets addressed. Also, there’s still a murderer on the loose… Definitely an interesting start to the series and it has fit Ivy well so far.

6 Likes

Frank’s my guy, so my heart wants a version of him, but Agree. She’s all about gene splicing and genetic engineering, so a plant-cat could totally happen! Like this rad Swamp Thing cat :star_struck:

9 Likes

Like some others, I had to suspend my belief that no one knew Dr Isley, or recognized her as Poison Ivy. I decided :woman_shrugging:t2: Its Gotham! Are you surprised? Not really. and moved on. Atleast they covered her info being scrubbed.

Other than that, the artwork is great, as well as the mystery. Makes me wish this were a longer series—also makes me wonder why she hasn’t had more solo series?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Dashan is a good ally, and I enjoyed the scene w/ Harley at the bar. What her new pheromone recipe does::ok_hand: I approve!

When scenes like this pop up, (and I know I’m not alone on this) I often find myself on her side. I can’t help it!

Just like the scene w/ the pit bulls and not at all feeling bad for Winston the creep. In Ivy’s world: Check your entitlement at the door. Don’t lie, cheat, or abuse the innocent, and you’ll be fine! :green_heart: Does that make her a villain? I guess to some, but not really to me most of the time. And I’ll save the rest for next week. End w/ my favorite panel…that I really wish were one of the covers.

7 Likes