Harley’s Crew | Book Club Wks 13 & 14: Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death 1-3

At least we can get lost together… :mag_right::boom::mag:

7 Likes

O-kay after scowering across the Internet, searching up both of the Poison Ivy (Harley Quinn TV series version, cause we research right in this clubhouse) both of the fan wikis for that verson of her state 30 specifically, not in her 30s, which would have changed the game a bit, no, both versions of the fan wikis specifically say 30.

So, either A) the show doesn’t directly address her age, but instead Jennifer’s and we might have missed that because we were focused on Harley compensating over their kiss.

Or B) (the most likely) they made a slight oopsie in the shows canon.

Or C), for those that like to be conspiracy Theoriests It’s the Mandela effect and I blame the Flash for it, comic fans, you know why.

Feel free to vote Harley’s Crew, I’m curious

• Option A
  • Option B
  • Option C

0 voters

This is my first poll that I’ve ever made :grin:

7 Likes

I’m so proud!! :sob::purple_heart:

7 Likes

6 Likes

In comics, a kid being -1 could happen. If Ivy died in Heroes in Crisis, then came back from it for Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy, kids being negatively aged is possible.

In all honesty, I was just lazy and didn’t catch the ages. :poisonivy_hqas:

@TheKateKane In retrospect, a few extra years in kindergarten sounds nice. Nap Time, toys, finger painting, singing, cookies…Nap Time. It beats the hell out of useless high school math classes.

7 Likes

Agreed, after my college assignments, my brain brain gets hurt hurt, and then a new week starts and I get to do it all over again! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah, I would put that age gap as an oopsie – most likely the writers were just thinking that Jennifer saying she’s 38 would be funnier than 30, and didn’t think about how that would affect Ivy.

7 Likes

Whee! We punish ourselves today for a brighter tomorrow! :sweat_smile:

When in doubt, follow the words of Homer Simpson:

“I better be careful. I don’t want to dain my bramage.”

7 Likes

Well, hey… at least you’re not the writer for HQ! Because the possibility of a whoopsie is still relevant. :laughing:

There’s actually a lot of truth to what I said—I really have pondered this topic some nights while lying awake… while also questioning reality, wondering why our teachers lied about I before E except after C, and contemplating whether the color blue I see might be someone else’s color orange. I never rest. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

An active brain is a good brain. I sometimes lie awake thinking that The Matrix made everything taste like chicken because the 'bots got lazy and said “**** it, just make it all taste the same.” Then, I sit up and realize I’ve seen The Matrix more times than the average person likely has.

I would love to be on HQ’s writing staff. It’s my favorite DCUO series, so I know I’d have fun (and then some) on that gig.

7 Likes

I’ve actually never seen The Matrix. :sweat_smile: It was released when I was 7, which is the exact age when I began questioning reality and religion (which caused my anxiety to skyrocket). Despite being so young at the time, I was able to recognize the philosophical/religious essence of the movie; so that was a Nope for me. :grimacing: I’m fine now, though; I just have a massive list of movies/shows I need to watch, lol. Just figured I’d explain why I haven’t seen it so I can keep my Eccentricity Card. :wink:

Also… This amazing fan art of Ivy was released 7 months ago and I don’t know why I’m just now discovering it…

I actually gasped out loud when I saw it. :joy:

squees forever! :heart_eyes::green_heart:

8 Likes

That is stunning and beautiful! :purple_heart:

8 Likes

OMG. :purple_heart: :poison_eyebrowhqtas: :herb:

8 Likes

Yahma, hahma! That’s some nice Ivy art. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I’m going w/ @TheKateKane. I’ve always assumed Ivy was early 30s. :thinking: Shes a doctor, so that takes time—like, almost a decade, sometimes more. Plus…:raised_hand:let’s be real, would anyone be surprised to learn Jennifer was held back and Ivy skipped a few grades? :joy:
:purple_heart: you, Jennifer. :clinking_glasses: (<—-pretend those are bottomless mimosas)

And this, for all you ginger lovin’ Crew members like me. Looks at @Hiraeth @Mae & @Vroom :star_struck:

8 Likes

Groovy, Gus! :metal:t2: makes a mental snapshot

7 Likes

7 Likes

I would argue that Ivy is definitely 38. My theory revolves around the Indigo Girls. There have been, at least, two references to Ivy liking the Indigo Girls. One was in the DC Fandome “Ask Harley Quinn” panel. The second was in “Riddle U” when Ivy says something about putting up an Indio Girls poster in reference to going back to college.

Now, for those who don’t know, the Indigo Girls are a folk rock duo who hit big in the late 1980’s/early 1990’s. If Ivy is 38, she would have entered college back in the year 2000 which is much closer to the height of Indigo Girls fame than, say, 2010. That would also put Ivy in her formative pre-teen/teenage years while the Indigo Girls were churning out their biggest hits in the early to mid 90’s. She would have been in the age range to latch on to them because those are the years when most people start forming their tastes in music.

I rest my case.

6 Likes

Fun fact about me and this series sorta – earlier this year I actually took a comic script writing class online from the Joe Kubert School, and the writer of this series, Amy Chu, was the teacher for it. She’s pretty cool. :smiley:

That said, while there is a lot of stuff in these first issues I like, there’s one thing about it that just nags me, and that’s how the FLIP does everyone not know this is Poison Ivy? I mean, I get that someone wiped her record clean on the digital side, but…it’s not like she’s trying to disguise herself, SHE’S STILL USING HER OLD NAME. How is everyone not like “Hey, I saw you on TV choking Batman out with giant vines a few years ago, what are you doing here?”

It makes a lot of interactions here a little frustrating, because there’s this cognitive dissonance going on. Like in the first issue, when Ivy’s scientist friend talks about how the old guy doesn’t want Ivy there obviously because she’s a woman. In the back of my mind I’m thinking “Yeah he’s probably dumb and ‘old fashioned’ like that, but I think anyone would be apprehensive about having a SUPER-VILLAIN on the team.”

Honestly, part of me wonders if maybe Chu had originally written this to be an origin story for Ivy, but was asked by editorial to make it present day so they can add characters that are known book movers like Harley Quinn and, as we’ll see next issue, Catwoman. It would explain why sometimes she has this normal job and people don’t immediately know her as Poison Ivy.

ANYWAY, I’m going to stop being negative and say the stuff I like. I really like Amy Chu’s characterization of Ivy. While she was initially cold to Harley in the first issue, the reasons why are understandable, and I think it’s fair to say that even if their relationship is good, it tends to be filled with some drama.

Chu develops a really solid mystery component to the book, and I like the supporting characters she created for the book, especially the one superpacifist guy.

And of course, the art by Clay Mann is fantastic, even if you can kind of tell he’s perpetually behind with the small army of inkers and the occasional fill-in artist coming in.

Actually…you know what? One more…not even a criticism, but more of a mighty need. After getting a whole sequence of Ivy being "attacked by a neglected pit bull, her calming it down and then killer it’s awful owner, WHY did we not have Ivy adopt the pibble? LET IVY HAVE A PIBBLE, DC. All the superheroes, big and low-key critical darlings have one. She’d love the little thing, name it after a plant/veggie, it would be GREAT.

5 Likes

I agree, Ivy having a pet would be nice and cute but if DC were to do that, they would have a plant for her, which wouldn’t work bc plants aren’t pets. Though I would think Ivy could create a plant that acts like a dog and that that would be her pet :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes