Harley’s Crew | Book Club 39 | Multiversity: Harley Screws Up the DCU

:diamonds::loud_sound: Welcome aboard, everybody and thank you for choosing Harlequin Airlines. We got our hands on a fancy time-machine, so we’ll be taking it for a spin (in the name of #science), arriving who-knows-where in appropriately the blink of an eye! :boom: We are next in line for take off, so please take this time to fasten your seatbelts and secure all personal items: mallets, sling-shots, bubblegum, :hyenahqtas: emotional support Hyenas—don’t touch any buttons or levers that look important and please enjoy your flight. :harley_hv_1:

Multiversity: Harley Screws Up the DCU 1-4 (Issue 4 arrives 5/15)

:books: This activity will be running all month long!

:diamonds: Reading begins: Right now!

:diamonds: Discussion begins: Whenever you’re ready! You know the drill: Which issue was your favorite? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything about the the reading you’d like to discuss—Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :black_heart::white_heart::heart: See ya soon!

:harleys_crew: You can join or learn more about Harley’s Crew HERE.

15 Likes

Since it’s May :hibiscus: you can also swing by :point_down: here, and spend some quality time w/ Dr. Isley:

8 Likes

Queen @Razzzcat!!!

You have been missed big time, Mama!
:purple_heart: :hugs:

6 Likes

batheart

7 Likes

5 Likes

What have we here? Is Harley in a SIN jogging club? (Safety In Numbers) :slightly_smiling_face: She’s even setting the pace to keep everyone on their toes and heart rates up, right on. :grin: Great to see you back @Razzzcat . You’ve been missed.

7 Likes

:smile:

4 Likes

OK, so I just read #3 of Harls Screws Up The DCU and I really wanna’ know who future Harley is talking to on the other end of that communication device thingy she’s got. :thinking:

6 Likes

@ejdias.95910 :laughing: Yes!! This is her jogging club!! Yeah yeah- She’s into fitness and just :woman_shrugging:t2: loves group activities! :diamonds:

Also, for you…

7 Likes

Thanks @Razzzcat , :hugs: Missed you.

6 Likes

After reading the first 4 issues of “Harley Screws Up the DCU”, I declare this book to be…just okay.

Let me explain my thoughts. This book has a lot of strong connections to the New 52 era of Harley Quinn, both in terms of characters and writing style. My feelings on this era of the character are mixed. On the one hand, it did do a fair bit to develop Harley as an independent character. Took her out of Gotham, gave her a group of characters to work off of, and tried to help further develop her beyond her origin as the Joker’s girlfriend. But my biggest problem with that era is it felt like it was ALL chaos ALL the time. It never really took a moment to slow down or let things sink in. We jumped from one crazy shenanigan right into another in a split second. With the Rebirth era, it felt like it would take a breather every once in a while to have Harley process something important. And the current volume started off with her trying to help traumatized Gotham citizens while developing a friendship with a former Joker henchman, Kevin. That allowed her to develop her own identity while leaving enough room for her usual antics.

Another problem I have with this book is that I feel burned out by all these “Harley does something involving the multiverse/timeline” arcs. Not only did the current Harley volume finish up an arc involving Harley battling/teaming up with multiversal versions of herself, but the new arc to kick off the Dawn of DC era involves her being able to grab items out from different universes unknowingly. It just feels like we are repeating the same basic ideas over and over.

But in all honesty, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with “Harley Screws Up the DCU”. While it is all too familiar and chaotic for me, there are some funny moments. And any story that has Starro as the main villain has to have some level of enjoyment. I wouldn’t mind reading more if further issues were selected for Book Club, I’m just not interested in reading more outside of that.

7 Likes

I agree with the “it’s okay” assessment. My problem is it’s just not funny even though it’s trying to be. And you’re right - they did just to a timeline/multiverse arc in the main title and that storyline was a lot more successful for me (I dig more some Old Lady Harley).

I like the art, though, especially the splash pages.

5 Likes

I do remember Harley’s mermaid outfit. All I’ll say is…I’m a fan :melting_face:

8 Likes

Lol, emotional support hyena!! :joy: i m only 2 books in, i like it so far. i dont keep up on the main crossover stuff, i like that its its own thing

5 Likes

Just dropping this off real quick…

Ps Happy Anniversary @MaxR!! :birthday: :tada: :hugs:

6 Likes

Is issue #5 out yet? Late to my LCS so I’m kinda’ out of the loop.

3 Likes

We get it 6/12, if I’m not mistaken :eyes: You can :100: come back and talk about it here if you like. :green_heart:

Hi, btw! :hugs: See ya in a bit.

4 Likes

:hugs: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! i almost typed you too lol

2 Likes

This started as a fun idea, but fell flat. The concept and art was good at least, but after a few issues Harley’s charm seems to be missing. She could be literally anyone. It seems like the writers were just using her as a scapegoat to push a plot along, which means the jokes don’t land they way they could if it were Harley, and not just someone drawn to look like Harley. :00_harley_quinn: I’m sayin’ 2 out of 5 stars

4 Likes