Goodbye, Denny

You never met him, interesting. I’d figure someone with your access would have met him, be it at the offices or at a convention.

3 Likes

A great loss for sure, I remember meeting him at dragon con in the early 80s, he was extremely nice to a young fan, and took the time to make me feel he enjoyed meeting me, even though there was quite a long line.

10 Likes

I just heard this.

Very very sad news. He impacts and creations on DC and the comic industry in general have been amazing. He may be gone but his work will live on forever. May he Rest In Peace.

8 Likes

Denny O’Neil was such an important figure in the world of comics that I felt inspired to create in his memory.
I drew the following with his creations followed by his famous runs on Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Batman and the Question.
I only hope I did him justice with this piece.

15 Likes

Love this. :heart:

6 Likes

I just hope I did his characters justice as well as his likeness. I get nervous and would never mean to offend such an idol.

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to meet him at a convention in Iowa. I brought three Batman books for him to sign, and he talked to me for 90 minutes on his favorite experiences as editor on the Bat Books. It was one of the most amazing conversations I’ve had in my life. We ended with his time on GL/GA. He signed my books and went to grab a bite to eat.

There was no better writer of comics in my opinion. He made so many lasting impacts on characters that entire generations of readers see his versions as the benchmark. My love of Batman comics comes from him, and his Question run was also just brilliant. He will be missed immensely.

7 Likes

Just learned a few moments ago. Feels like losing a friend from childhood. His stories were some of my first when it comes to DC. I hope he’s long remembered into the future by new and old fans.

@ImpulseMaxMercury art is a wonderful way to pay tribute to this great.

10 Likes

R.I.P. Denny. You made my childhood wonderful. I remember one of your first works I read. GL/GA #90 blew my mind. You left an impact with Hard Traveling Heroes and returning Batman to his roots. You created one of my favorite villains Ra’s Al Ghul. You will be missed.

9 Likes

Dennis “Denny” O’Neil is my favorite comic book writer of all time. I was devastated to hear of his loss. Like you, I’ve always wanted to meet Denny, as I have his long-time collaborator Neal Adams. I bring up Adams because their work together on Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow is my favorite run of comics in all of comic book history. I don’t post in the forums because I’m never sure what to say, but there’s something I do know: I will forever miss Dennis O’Neil. His touch on the comic book industry is indelible. May he rest in peace.

11 Likes

Rest In Power to one of the all time greats. Dennis O’Neil introduced social consciousness to a medium and a genre in a way that still reverberates. I’m feeling blessed today I got a chance to talk to him about comic books and social justice work.

I’m rarely affected by celebrity deaths but so very affected by the passing of writers who are transformational.

5 Likes

Thank you Oneil!

3 Likes

I met Denny a few years ago at a convention in Des Moines. I had a copy of the hardback of the novel “Knightfall” for him to sign. His wife was very excited that I had a copy of his novel (most brought comic books). He was so kind and told me that he almost lost all of the work because the wind whipped up when he opened the trunk to take out the finished product. I grew up reading his Batman and will never forget him. RIP Denny.

7 Likes

Thank you Denny O’Neil for the legacy you gave us. Though he may be gone, his works…his words will always stay with us. Once again, thank you for everything. Rest In Peace.

5 Likes

One of the all time greats. RIP Mr. O’Neil.

4 Likes

May he Rest In Peace​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

RIP legend

5 Likes

Denny O’Neil was a legend that made a seismic impact in several of DC’s key franchises, an impact that is still being felt today and will carry on long into the future.

While I enjoyed his work on Superman and Batman, my favorite output of his is easily Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Its perfect, just perfect, in so many ways: writing, art, entertainment value, social relevance, the list goes on.

Rest in peace, Mr. O’Neil. You and your legacy shall endure. :candle:

11 Likes

R.I.P. Denny, you were an inspiration to so many. Your run with Green Arrow and Green Lantern was truly amazing. From my family to the O’Neil family our thoughts and prayers are with you.

6 Likes

Godspeed Mr. O’Neil!
Before I ever read a comic book I heard about what he had done on GL/GA and the social issues that he valiantly brought to the forefront of the comic world. I knew then that I’d be reading comics.

5 Likes