Goodbye, Denny

DC writer and editor extraordinaire Denny O’Neil passed away last night of natural causes. He was 81.

O’Neil is almost singly responsible for the complex Batman we all enjoy today, bringing social issues to the forefront of mainstream comics, and writing one of my favorite stories of all time — The Question. He created dozens of timeless characters and stories, and oversaw the direction of DC for a generation.

I never got to meet him, but he was always the writer I wanted to meet most. I’m still coping with the fact that now, I never will. He was the absolute best, and he’ll be sorely missed. Another giant, gone.

I’ll be reading some comics in his memory today. I’d also like to hear what Denny means to you. And if you’re just hearing his name for the first time, I encourage you to seek out his work. There’s a lot of places you could start, but I’d personally recommend The Question.

91 Likes

I’ve read about him many times, but I don’t believe I’ve ever read his work. I’ll be looking him up some more.

May he rest in peace.

14 Likes

Denny O’Neil was an amazing creator. His legacy will live on in both the Marvel and DC Universes. As a writer an editor, he was involved in some of the most important comic stories of all time. As a writer, I will still go back to his book,
The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics, as a reference when I need practical advice on “the rules.”

He will be missed.

17 Likes

I have just seen how the great Denny O’Neil has passed away. He was so influential in the comic book world. His stories took place in fantastical worlds but were still grounded.
I was so excited when he responded to me letter in Azrael when the series first started. I had penned a letter saying how I thought the change in costume to a bat from his original costume had an effect on his mental state and this was why he acted the way he did. Denny then posed the question back to the readers.
We’ll miss you Denny.

15 Likes

Sad news. What are your favorite of Denny’s many contributions to the DCU?

14 Likes

I’m so bummed. I never got to meet him & get a special book signed. He came up with the name of Optimus Prime for Transformers. He’s done so much for the comics industry. I hope they make a documentary on him & his life.

17 Likes

He was the comic book pro I most wanted to meet. His work and direction has meant so much to me for so many years. He was my Stan Lee.

Thank you for everything, Denny. You gave us so much.

21 Likes

He’ll be missed.

10 Likes

I am deeply saddened by this. The body of work, the inspiration he gave, the depth he had, and the stories he left us will resonate long after we’re gone. Good bye, Denny. And thank you.

13 Likes

Really sad news. Never got to meet him either. If there’s one story of his that has always captivated me, it’s probably “Venom” from Legends of the Dark Knight.

Thankful that we live in a time where his stories are so widely available, and that at least a few pearls of wisdom have also been preserved in the interviews he did, like those first couple episodes of that “Batmen” special that’s available on DCU.

14 Likes

RIP

18 Likes

Nice tribute from Jim Lee…

18 Likes

True words from Dan Didio…

13 Likes

The single best writer in comics history. There was no genre of comics Denny couldn’t turn his hand to and deliver something great.

His runs with Neal Adams on Batman and GL/GA remain some of my all time favorite stories, in all of literature.

The man who gave us COIE. An idea ahead of its time and paved the way for the comics industry.

We have truly lost a legend.

Denny, if you’re reading this from somewhere in the universe or some alternate dimension, I wish you peace, dude. We shall never see your like again.

12 Likes

I guess it’s fitting that there is a BTAS WAL tonight. The Demon’s Quest parts 1 &.2. Written by Denny O’Neill from the story in Batman 232 also written by Denny O’Neill, which introduces Ra’s Al Ghul.

See the Community events/watch along section for the info on tonight’s WAL.

14 Likes

Cross posting since I don’t which thread will survive.

Denny O’Neil was an amazing creator. His legacy will live on in both the Marvel and DC Universes. As a writer an editor, he was involved in some of the most important comic stories of all time. As a writer, I will still go back to his book,
The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics, as a reference when I need practical advice on “the rules.”

He will be missed.

10 Likes

The best Batwriter, the man who gave us Hard Travelin’ Heroes and John Stewart, the creator of the Demon’s Head, and of course the man who wrote The Question. What a legacy. RIP Denny.

12 Likes

O’Neil was one of my heroes and one of the most influential writers of the genre. He will be missed.

10 Likes

Th or those who don’t know, in the Documentary section there is a series called “The Batmen”. Episodes 1-3 are interviews with Denny about reimagining the modern Batman.

10 Likes

Dang, Denny O’Neil was one of the greats. A true legend in the comic book world! It’s sad to see him go.

10 Likes