Goodbye, Denny

Boy, that’s a bummer. Definitely a hero of mine. I used to love reading his letters columns.

10 Likes

This is such a great loss of an incredible man and legend in this industry. I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to meet him and talk with him about some of his favorite memories when it came to his life in comics.

He will be greatly missed by so many. :disappointed:

13 Likes

I was fortunate to take a class with him at New York University School of Constraining Education. There were only six of us.

He was a kind man, who mainly just talked.

He said early iin. his DC career he had to write Superman and Justice League and he hated writing them. He never kiked writing about very powerful heroes.

Here is a link to the class notes.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/writing-topics-07-from-denny-o-neil-class-on-comic-books-at-nyu/91736?u=turoksonofstone195

13 Likes

@msgtv

Did a whole month on Denny
Gor the DC History Club

11 Likes

One of the first truly great writers in comics and a trailblazer. The ripple effect of his contributions are innumerable. Rest In Peace and thank you so much for all the great stories.

6 Likes

In

Secret Origins History of DC Comics

Denny is covered at 49 minutes 30 seconds

9 Likes

Bye Denny, Thankyou so much for bringing Ra’s Al Ghoul to life in comics and Batman the animated series.:disappointed:

7 Likes

Goodbye Mr O’Neil and thank you for everything you’ve done for comics and the characters that we love.

9 Likes

Dennis is one of the most important people in batman history. Without him, Batman wouldn’t be the same man he is today, he would still be a campy character like in the 60s. He also said one of the best lines in all of comics and brought social issues to the forfrount of comics. Without his progressive attitudes towards comics, comics would likely be considered a joke. Thank you Mr O’Neil and may you rest in peace.

16 Likes

Rest In Peace Denny. You are a legend.

7 Likes

It was no coincidence that Denny O’Neil’s 70s Batman run was the focus of our first month at the DC History Club. These issues were not only highly influential they are incredibly entertaining to this day. The greatest tribute anyone could give O’Neil would be to continue to enjoy his work.

11 Likes

I’m HEARTBROKEN! This is a HUGE loss for our Community. :sob:

10 Likes

I’m so sad to see he passed away. He was an absolute titan of the comic book industry.

10 Likes

I just saw the news. It is a sad day indeed.

11 Likes

Terrible news. He was one of the greats for both of the Big Two comic publishers.

I always loved his interviews on DVD/BluRay special features.

8 Likes

I’m just now reading Batman #251, I think Denny O’Neil help made Batman a better character, by sneaking up on Commissioner Gordon and even by disappearing before Gordon turns around as he finish talking, if those were really his ideas, then he really was such a brilliant writer.

9 Likes

Batman would not be the man he is without him. Nor would Green Arrow. Or Hal Jordan. Or The Question. He may not have created those characters, but he made them who they are.

12 Likes

Green Lantern/Green Arrow is one of the greatest runs in comic book history. O’Neil was an indispensable voice in DC’s transition from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age, and his editorial hand ensured that Daredevil was revitalized in the 1980s and that the Batman books didn’t go off the rails during the 1990s as so many other popular series did.

11 Likes

:broken_heart:

9 Likes

I started the thread, “RIP Denny O’Neil,” and I agree, I wish I could have met him. :cry:

6 Likes