Given the Opportunity to Write a Comic Book Story Arc...

A World Without Batman

Takes place in our world (no fictional characters). Main character is a comic book writer who writes the Batman series (the last comic book series remaining). Comics have been rallied against by parents who think superheroes inspire violence and are bad role models. Eventually the Batman series is cancelled. The comic book writer decides to dress up like Batman and fight crime, in order to show people what superheroes do for society: inspire!

5 Likes

What a fantastic idea, @jwarzy5702! I would be totally down to read more of this if you feel the need to share more. How does the writer have the skills to be Batman? I really would like to know more! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@HarleysPuddin The writer practiced mixed martial arts as a kid! Also his parents died shortly before the story takes place so he inherited their large fortune (money helps when you want to be Batman). Also the leaders of the Anti-Bat parent group are Josh Napington and Harl Quizen who claim their children (bud and Lou) have been led into a life of crime because of Batmanā€™s antics. Dr. Joshua Cranathon and Dr. Pam Isla have researched the influence of Batman on children, proving he incites violence. Harold Den is basically a lobbyist for the Anti Bat movement but struggles because of you know free speech and all that fun stuff. The writer named Brian Wale is married to Celine Kathy has four kids (Richie, Jacy, Tiler, and Damon) and the artist of the Batman series is Jason Gardan (his daughter is Babs of course). How Brian gets people to like Batman again I have no clue. Maybe I could do a twist on how Batman first became popular at DC Comics? This is all I got.

5 Likes

Claps Bravo @jwarzy5702! That is amazing! The play on names is brilliant. You should write this as a story (time and thought permitting of course) and share it with us!

Brianā€™s story should be shared with the DC Universe (and me because I am totally excited)! :slight_smile:

Keep up the fantastic work!

2 Likes

@jwarzy5702 YES PLEASE

2 Likes

@harleyspuddin @applejack Iā€™ll probably write it over winter break (Iā€™m in college right now) and share it on here. Would love to see reactions to the story!

2 Likes

I cannot wait! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to see an Arch for Nightwing, where he gives up crime fighting for good, we see him pick up a job as a chef for a dinner, rents a poor apartment, and struggles with civilian life. As he walks by a tv store (as protagonists do in the morning and movies) he sees a live news report of Batman in trouble, he knows he can save him if he hurries, but ultimately desides not to. We see similar incident unfold on a walk back home, as he passes an ally a woman is mugged, he stares and decided itā€™s not his problem.

Batman ends up going missing, but instead of taking up the mantle out of guilt, or a feeling of responsibility, he just keeps his head down. A few weeks go by and his girlfriend (Not Korri) is kidnapped. Feeling no there options he takes action, after tracking her down he attempts a daring rescue, but instead fails, witnessing her murder, shot in cold blood, he dispatches the criminals.

After this we could see him at war with himself, debating on weather or not to put the tights back on or to stay a nobody. Of course he then becomes Batman for a while, saves Bruce and all that, but ultimately his mindset on being a hero has changed, and now think similarly to that of Bruce his first years as the Bat, and is seeking vengeance against Gothams criminals.

It would change Dick as a character entirely, instead of fighting the mantle, he embraces it, but almost to a dark extent, with a raging fire burning in him, and how Bruce attempts to help him take control of it so he wonā€™t end up like Jason or Damien during his first few years.

Any ways thanks for reading, have a good day. (Sorry for any spelling errors, small phone)

2 Likes

Imagine a bunch of teenage supernatural heroes learning to use their powers to protect the DC Universe. Their mentor: John Constantine.

4 Likes

As for who I would use: Mary Marvel, Wonder Girl, Klarion the Witchboy, and a new young Dr Fate.

I would use Legion of Super heroes. As they are in comic book limbo the team split up. Members are throughout the galaxy but the UP is on the brink with different squabbles. This plays into a few ex legionaire conflicts and alliances between members. At the core, the Dark Circle would be manipulating everything and some Legionaires would in fact be the their pawns. I would use Oliver Coipel and Tom McCraw.

4 Likes

I would write about titans from the new team and have that team split apart and have them fight each other about what they believe in. Also I would have them go far to as killing each other and also with the villains and try to kill the justice league for power in the world. The split teams would be two and super boy, kid flash ,robin and raven would have to fight cyborg,star fire ,terra ,wonder girl , beast boy and blue Beatle which these I chose to fight and kill each other. I would have Greg capulo to do art and have Jim lee to ink and color and have Scott Snyder to write.

I would just use Jim lee and Gregcapulo

It would be Captain Atom. Give him a great story by Waid & Charest as the artist. The government would be blackmailing him to work for them. By holding his family captive

1 Like

I kicked around an idea for a Batman villain once that I called the Director. He would send GCPD video tapes of his murders filmed as if it were a movie being sent scene by scene. In order to catch the killer/villain Batman would have to figure out the story of the movie and piece together the ending before itā€™s filmed. Iā€™d personally like Gary Frank to do the art for it. He really captured the dark style of Batman in Earth One. I wouldnā€™t use any cameos to keep it a stand alone Batman solo. Hopefully give it a 1990s animated series vibe to it. Just a solo Batman murder mystery without being apart of anything major outside of Gotham.

3 Likes

I would completely re-vamp Tyroc, The entire origin look everything the split that lead to the Afro-Kryptonian divide and why the colored Kryptonians were put on an island he would get some new powers Similar to Superman/Shazam. Villains would be General Zod, Mongul and the Reach and allies would be Booster Gold because I love the guy and Blue Beetle. Jim Lee and Greg Capulo for art and ink Respectively. Scott Snyder (comic) writer Geoff Johns (film) writer because itā€™ll need both mediums just an idea.

Iā€™d also write myself

Take the color out of it and may have been a plague that wouldā€™ve taken down the population sooner than the great disaster. I got the time if you need me. Lol

Honestly, Tim Drake. I feel he barely gets any exposition as is and he seems like a default for Batmanā€™s sidekick. If he could get his character developed as Tim Drake rather than Robin, it would be cool. I would have him be a geek who loves nerdy stuff, (sort of like Peter Parker in Spiderman Homecoming) and he would have great respect for Batman and Robin as heroes. He might be playing D&D or playing video games and see Batman and Robin on television and his character could just develop from there.

4 Likes

First thing to pop in my head would be a new take on Batman & The Outsiders. I would set it in a year 2 early year 3 of Batmanā€™s career. No Robins. Outside of Katana, Iā€™m not sure who else would be on the team, but I would use Richard Dragon & Lady Shiva in key roles. It would have to be a global story so Raā€™s & The League of Assassins would be the villains. I would have Jim Lee kick off the series. Second choice would be The Question (Vic Sage) my artist of choice would be Denys Cowan.