Fun “Real” References/Ads in Comics

Hitchhiker’s Guide

4 Likes

We caught a lot of the same references in this one @capo-mage! Lol. Here’s where I posted back in February. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah. That’s a lot of the same lol. I usually check but I never remembered seeing that comic anywhere on here on any threads b4. Not sure how I missed it?

1 Like

No worries @capo-mage! The thread is getting bigger - it’s bound to happen! I love that we all have our eyes open for these things while we’re reading.

I’m always scouring for funny faces and LOL moments now too! :eyes:

2 Likes

Lex Luthor Man of steel: Pager & cordless phone, Prince Charming, Captain Spaulding (maybe coincidence but I doubt it), Judas. Air guitar honorable mention lol.

3 Likes

Swamp thing Seasons end storyline: Katrina, Silence of the Lambs (Quid Pro Quo Clarice), It Ain’t Easy Being Green ( Kermit the frog), Speed Racer line, Short Circuit quote Johnny #5 is alive.

3 Likes

Just a couple from Batman #656 & #663 (1940): Acid Trip (hydrochloric): Damian wants a Laptop.

4 Likes

Yup I know what you mean - always waiting for Batman to ghost Gordon lol

2 Likes

Swamp thing(2011):Battlefront & Invasion, Canned Peaches, Nobel Peace Prize, 401k & forever stamps ,reference to The Loch Ness Monster, Great Potato Famine, & Gladly pay u Tuesday (for a hamburger today J. Wellington Wimpy from Popeye.

3 Likes

Swamp thing (2011) & Final Crisis: Twitter, Moth Man, Mark Twain name & quote (Trixster), Frankenstein & Arc of the Covenant, Paul Revere, Tootsie POP, Aladdin.

3 Likes

Final Crisis: Nerf Balls, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Dawn of the Dead, Glue, Beyoncé’, I-Pods, Rubik Cube, Steve McQueen, Romeo & Juliet.

3 Likes

Superman/Batman: Hoover Dam & Eiffel Tower, Rice a Roni on trolley, Marvin the Martian, Freddie Prinze Jr. & Samuel L. Jackson, Heromyx, mxy’s heroclyx, pudding pops, direct deposit, Beer Commercial for the Super Bowl, Oz Dorothy Toto etc. James Brown-Poppas got a brand new Bag.

2 Likes

A reference to the infamous Butch Cassidy

Deathstroke (The Terminator) #26

4 Likes

It’s actually quite common for comics to have their own comics in the comic as to them it’s just a recap of events to kids who may or may not have already been born most recently ive seen this done in Flash #750

2 Likes

@Mr.noodle I’d add that the reference of Swamp Thing in a Constantine comic (not quite his own comic in this case) is a tool that helps define the comic universe. It’s a great way to show the connection between Constantine and Swamp Thing, who have been featured together (Constantine first appearing via a Swamp Thing comic). I see it as a mix between a cross-sell and an Easter egg.

That #750 link goes to the Wonder Woman #750 thread, which links to itself. I haven’t checked that one out yet but I assume it references The Flash? That would be a cool reference for this thread once it’s digital!

1 Like

A reference to Elvis

Deathstroke (The Terminator) #27

2 Likes

Waited too long so from all over: Salem Witch Trials, Tennyson (Alfred Lord), Marx Brothers, Oz reference (man behind curtain):, Comic-Con, Super Bowl (Ace), Light Sabers, Col. Sanders (description).

3 Likes

Detective Comics #468-#476 plus Batfamily issues: Robert Redford, Thomas (Alva) Edison, Da Vinci, Jell-o, Apollo & Sedan, Humphrey Bogart, YoYo’s, William Tell, Galileo, Emily Post, LeapFrog, King Of the Hill, Jaws (Jr), Davy Jones Locker, James Cagney White Heat, Wizard of Oz, G.I. Joe, Cat on a Hot Ton Roof (he brought Catwoman to see it lol), Henry Ford, Arthur Treacher,

3 Likes

A reference to the movie Thelma & Louise

Deathstroke (The Terminator) #28

2 Likes

Detective comics (1937 Batman & Robin)Batman White Knight: Snow White & 7 dwarves, Dr. J, James Bond & Goldfinger, Ovaltine, C.G.I., Bugs Bunny & What’s up Doc, “Mister” Potato Head, Ear Buds, Darwinian moment, Nosferatu, Pride & Prejudice book, Dino (Flintstones), Cat scan IQ tests, A Selfie, Social Media, Tweet, All Those Wonderful Toys, Barney Fife, Stockholm Syndrome & Pagliacci poster, Alice in Wonderland Book, Howdy Doody, Operation Paperclip & Cold War, Hot Topic, Sandalwood Air Freshener, Cosplay, Happy Feet (Bullock to Penguin),

3 Likes