:00_flash: Flashpoint Beyond Discussion Thread (Spoilers; #6 Drops on 10/18) :00_flash:

I am the opposite. I hate the world of FLashpoint, but I love my daddy.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Iā€™m a Kryptonian who has no problem letting the waterworks go, but, yeahā€¦saying ā€œAdieu until the trade drops.ā€ was tough.

Until then, I can just re-read #s 0-2, and see if there are any details I missed during the first reads of each.

ā€¦and Iā€™ll keep maintaining this thread too of course, for the folks who are reading the singles as they come out.

5 Likes

Did this fly over anyone elseā€™s head???

FbCq1HzXkAEe2rU

Divine Continuum is DC!!! :exploding_head:

I canā€™t believe I just noticed this!!! :sob:

4 Likes

It probably did for me, as I havenā€™t read Flashpoint Beyond since #2 came out.

Thanks to the announcement of The New Golden Age, I did pick up #s 3 and 4 this past Tuesday, so Iā€™m going to start over from #0 and get caught up before #5 drops.

Iā€™m interested to see what else went over my head, or is at least something Iā€™ve temporarily forgotten about. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

There is one thing that kinda frustrates me about the preview shown in Beyond Flashpoint #5

Dr. Baxter talking about small scale alterations made to the multiverse through affecting Prime earth

Did you catch it?
Screenshot_20220904_141048

Look I get Geoff Johns loves these characters, but can we stop pretending Flash did nothing wrong and actually legitimately blame him for the actions he caused in Flashpoint and stop pinning the thing on Dr. Manhattan or whoever else.
Same thing implies to Hal Jordan Parallax.
Itā€™s not actually bad if heroes do a inherently selfish or bad thing and show the consequences for it. Even Wally West actions in sanctuary were retcon to be done by a flash villain.

It straight up is annoying because this unwritten rule seemingly applies only for male heroes where female heroes have to actually face the consequences for their actions, Wonder-woman, Scarlet witch, Harley Quinn, have to do legwork to get that redemption back and even then it is remember in infamy.

3 Likes

Ah, like how Batman murdering KGBeast and Superman killing those Kryptonians was retconned as no longer canon

4 Likes

#5 is alive! :robot:

Hereā€™s a look at the penultimate issueā€™s covers:

A cover, by Mitch Gerads.

B cover, by Xermanico.

C cover, by Scott Kolins (1:25).

D cover, by Howard Porter (1:50).

Whatā€™s your cover of choice, and whatā€™d you think of this monthā€™s issue?

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading this book as it came out and while there are some interesting stuff here, I do find myself kind of wondering what the point of this is and what itā€™s trying to do with itā€™s storytelling and how this will affect later books, and this issue kind of exemplifies this.

I think the biggest problem with this is the Time Masters, weā€™re kind of justā€¦told that theyā€™re around, we see a little more of them this issue, but I donā€™t get their purpose here. I mean, I guess itā€™s to hint to what Johns will do with JSA and his ā€œGolden Ageā€ stuff, but is that really a good fit for a Flashpoint Batman story?

I dunno, I feel like the book isnā€™t doing much other than being cute about talking about the nature of time and continuity without really saying much about it.

4 Likes

Kollins

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how I feel about it as well. The Thomas Wayne Batman story can be itā€™s own story where he investigates the strange anomaly of the Flashpoint universe and be a great story, but itā€™s also a epilogue to Dark Crisis on infinite earths and to several stories involving Current Batman, Time masters, JSA, and countless others. Itā€™s incredibly ambitious but also uneven to incorporate other stories like this.

4 Likes

It was likely phrased this way to protect Barryā€™s identity as this was literally a television interview and also do to the fact that dc has heroā€™s with the name the flashā€¦plus Pandora also interfered the changes that happened, if I recall right.

:grin: We finally learn where Bruce gets his massive intellect from his mom, and i love this. His mother built A FREAKING TIME MACHINEā€¦A TIME MACHINE!!! :exploding_head:

Looking forward to Batman vs. rip hunter ā€¦waitā€¦wait, is this Rip Hunter orā€¦waitā€¦IS THAT ANOTHER BRUCE WAYNE???

Eather way, the next issue is going to be amazingā€¦and possibly extremely dark depending on what Thomas and Martha doā€¦or should i say how they do it.

4 Likes

Just finished issue #5 andā€¦ thereā€™s a lot to unpack here. Honestly, Iā€™m not really bothered by all the timeline/multiverse commentary running through this. Considering the original Flashpoint story and this Flashpoint Beyond series are both closely tied to the main continuity timeline and its alterations, all of the commentary about Hypertime and how it works is relevant.

Sure, the heart of the story is Bruce trying to save his father while Thomas is trying to save Bruce and neither one being able to surrender control of the situation. Basically, Thomas and Bruce refuse to learn what Dr. Bonnie Baxter feels is the most important lesson about time crises: ā€œYou must accept your life as it is, because trying to change the past or trying to control the future only leads to destruction.ā€ That quote is more than just cute commentary on the timeline, it summarizes the story being told.

I also really like the quote that ā€œHypertime is emotional.ā€ It functions as a way of explaining how Hypertime branches from junctures where the characters make emotional choices. However, it also functions as meta-commentary about how the main continuity timeline changes based on how the fans/creators feel and how those feelings change over time. It is, also, relevant to the story as Bruce, Thomas, and Martha are all being driven by emotion to try and affect the timeline.

Anyway, some other small things:

On the Time Mastersā€™ blackboard, I caught some Legion of Super-Heroes stuff that was pretty neat. Itā€™s theorized that the Legion will play a role in Johnsā€™ upcoming New Golden Age. The blackboard makes reference to ā€œThe Legions of Four Worldsā€ and a ā€œWar of the Legions.ā€ It also references the Crime Syndicateā€™s Earth-3 and says to ā€œWarn Earth-247.ā€ Earth-247 is the Earth designation for the Post-Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes which debuted in Legion of Super-Heroes #0 from October 1994

I really liked the splash page where Thomas jumped through the Arkham skylight and the shards of glass reflected various Bat-tragedies. Most of them were visions of Robin dying while Dexter (the pseudo-Robin of Earth-Flashpoint) was putting himself in mortal peril. I hope Thomas doesnā€™t end up regretting ignoring the boy.

Finally, Raā€™s didnā€™t stay dead long, huh? I wonder who his ā€œassociateā€ in Justice League Incarnate isā€¦ Sporeā€¦?

5 Likes

I still havenā€™t caught up with the series (3, 4 and 5 are in The Stack, though :+1:t2:), but I really want to, as everyoneā€™s making it sound like quite the read.

3 Likes

I plan on rereading them all in a few weeks for the final issue.

2 Likes

Well, if I donā€™t get to the new issues until #6 debuts, then Iā€™ll be doing just that, too. :smile:

2 Likes

Ok, just read the issue #5 and I was really upset by the first panel. Spoiling Dark Crisis like that? I get that we all expect the Justice League to survive but just stating that in a book that came out the same week as the 4th issue of Dark Crisis really bugs me. We havenā€™t even seen the JL yet back on main Earth yet so this was sort of a big spoiler. Anyway, I know I always get worked up about stuff like that, so Iā€™ll move on.

I really am loving this series but so much is happening. Thomas is trying to get back to Bruceā€™s world to save him? Martha built a Time Machine? Bruce is trying to get to Thomas to save him? Raā€™s is alive again? (Iā€™m not shocked but I didnā€™t expect that to be revealed in this book.) Who even are the Time Masters? Dexter and Oswald are adorable together.

And all of these plots would make amazing books on their own. But together for a 6 issue series, I feel like Iā€™m drowning while trying to learn about Time Travel. And Iā€™m still not sure what Hypertime even is at this point.

But I love the world of Flashpoint and I will probably always pick up a book if it is in that world so Iā€™m happy to be reading this book. Thomas isnā€™t my favorite Flashpoint character but I have been enjoying him here. I am very curious how this will wrap up in one issue. But Iā€™m sure it will be something crazy so Iā€™m very excited for it.

4 Likes

I had no issues. Anybody reading that has probably already read that issue first, and I was immediately hearing the jokes all over Reddit.

The Time masters might be Per Degaton. Could then add to Johnsā€™s upcoming JSA work.

Hehe. I am the opposite. I hate the world of Flashpoint and call it Johnsā€™s second worst series, and daddy is my favorite character.

2 Likes

I did read Dark Crisis first. Flashpoint still spoils stuff that hasnā€™t happened in Dark Crisis yet. Anyway, not the point of this thread.

2 Likes

Back in the Silver age, Rip Hunter was a time traveling leader of a time traveling team called the time masters. All of which were kinda incompetent save for Rip himself. The lot of them from what I could tell, just joy rided around time doing time adventures for funsies.

Later on in continuity, it would be established that the time masters were actually this big deal who policed time and delt with time crimes. They were based out of the very end of time which they called vanishing point.

If you saw the tv show Legends of Tommorow, its what that group from the first season is based on.

4 Likes