:00_flash: Flashpoint Beyond Discussion Thread (Spoilers; #6 Drops on 10/18) :00_flash:

While reading Flashpoint Beyond #0. I ran into something that I really keyed in on while

Batman was raiding the Time Masters’ vault. In one panel, there’s a notebook lying open on the ground. It contains the diagram for the “Divine Continuum” but also has a note circled at the bottom that reads: “Find Clark and Sally before they do.”
Find Clark and Sally
At first, this got me excited because I thought it may be a reference to one of my favorite Silver Age Superman stories where he gets amnesia and almost marries a woman named Sally Selwyn. However, after flipping through my copies of Doomsday Clock, I realized it’s actually more likely a reference to Sally and Clark Hollis. Sally Hollis is the biological daughter of Silk Spectre II and Nite Owl II while Clark is their adopted son and the biological son of Mime and Marionette. Dr. Manhattan seems to have given Clark his powers.
Sally Hollis

It’s not the reference I was hoping for and I’m not sure if it will become important in Flashpoint Beyond, but I thought it was worth noting.

7 Likes

#3 debuts at retail this Tuesday, July 5th.

What are your hopes and expectations for this issue, and for where Flashpoint Beyond goes, afterward?

5 Likes

I look forward to seeing more of this Superman. I never read his Flashpoint one-shot, so will be nice to see who he is and what he’s like. My hope is that whatever version of the omnimultimetaverse this story conjures up gels with whatever is happening in Dark Crisis.

To be honest, after 3 issues, my patience is wearing just a little thin. I’m not big on mysteries and would like to get to the point :joy:.

4 Likes

@moro Remember this was meant to be released one issue a week or 2, so I expect a slow pace, since there was not meant to be much of a gap.

3 Likes

I didn’t know this. There was some kind of change plans from weekly to monthly?

4 Likes

Yes. It was supposed to finish with Flash movie, but its delay changed things.

4 Likes

The initial announcement mentioned bi-weekly, not weekly, though it’s obviously still changed from that

4 Likes

Loved this last issue with all the twists and more of Dexter and Oswald. Obviously I really loved the Stargirl cameo. :stargirl:

5 Likes

oh, this keeps getting more interesting. Krypton invasion time.

4 Likes

Ok, glad #3 provided some reveals. Need to read up on hypertime so I can understand things a bit better though.

One thing I’m really happy they did in this issue: they showed that Kal-El can be good by nature, not just nurture. Usually we see him turning bad in comic book stories if his origin veers from the Kents’ upbringing. In this case, even after what we went through, he still chooses humanity. I just thought that was very refreshing.

6 Likes

The Kingdom is a great series to read up on Hypertime (it is a sequel to Kingdom Come, though, in case you haven’t read that yet). I also did a blog post comparing The Kingdom and Hypertime to Zero Hour

I really liked this, too. It was also really cool to see Superman hanging out with Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy. The eco-friendly “tech” that allowed him to read the Kryptonian crystals was also a nice touch. Finally, brief shout-out to a “Dial H for Hero” Snapper Carr. Since the Kryptonian invasion is supposed to happen in 5 days and Thomas has only 5 days to “restore the world where his son lives,” does anyone else get the sense that things are being manipulated in Flashpoint world to knock Thomas off-course?

5 Likes

Oops, I went and bought my weekly comics today and I somehow missed this one. I’ll have to grab it next week. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Robin, stop messing with your big brother’s reading.

5 Likes

Ok, I went back to my LCS and got this comic (and Urban Legend 17) this week.

I really liked that Krypton twist. Jor-El’s speech was great right up until that last bit when you realize what he was talking about. I love when stuff like that happens. You think you know how something is going to go and then the rug is just pulled out from underneath you. It was nicely done.

And Thawne. I’m sure he’ll be fine? It’s not his first time dying, right? Though, dying in Iris’ apartment is a nice touch. I have no idea what Hypertime is, though, so I guess I can’t comment on that side of it all.

I am liking this series more with each issue. It’s funny because Thomas isn’t a sympathetic ‘hero’. You aren’t rooting for him. He’s a jerk. He should help Ivy and Superman when he hears that the world is gonna end in 5 days, instead he just leaves. But this series still holds your attention. I’m not sure why but I love it.

4 Likes

My daddy is not a jerk. He’s… Having serious issues.

4 Likes

Two words: “Geoff” and “Johns”.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I’d let him pull me in. Dude knows his craft.

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess that is a good point. He definitely knows how to write.

I also just love the world of Flashpoint. I think that combo has me invested in this story even if I am not Thomas’ biggest fan.

4 Likes

Likewise, which is why taking this series off my pull list was very hard.

But…I read everything from Flashpoint as it came out in '11, so I’ll do the trade number this time around.

4 Likes