:00_flash: Flash Season 8 Discussion Thread :00_flash:

Tonight wasn’t the strongest episode compared to last week.

First and foremost, I think I’m done with Chester and Allegra as characters. They don’t add anything and they take up valuable screen time. They’ve overstayed their welcome.

The Frost/Caitlyn stuff was okay but I think it could’ve been condensed.

The Barry/Kramer/Goldface stuff was good. I didn’t like Goldface in his first appearance and he was kind of hamming it up here, but what he was looking for and why kept me entertained. And the new dynamic with Barry and his new boss took some positive steps.

We didn’t get much Iris this week, but we got more of what’s going on with her.

This felt like either a filler episode or one scaled back to save money for something bigger down the line. Last week surprised me with the Impulse/XS stuff. It reminded me of the first season where the cast was small, the story was focused and best of all, it was fun. This episode reminds me of all the things that have been bogging the show down lately: too many characters and juggling storylines so you don’t get a feel for anything.

5 Likes

God, I hate this show. Another boring episode, only thing I liked is Caitlin calling Frost her sister, that’s literally it.

3 Likes

This really did feel like a filler episode. I thought the Goldface plot worked well and it was good to see Barry and Kramer bond. The problem with the episode were the other subplots.To me the whole Allegra/Chester thing just seems like something they came up with because they don’t know what to do with the characters. And I really didn’t buy the whole conflict between Frost and Caitlin. It certainly ran on too long.

3 Likes

Agreed! And I hate bagging on Allegra and Chester, but at this point what purpose do they serve?

It seems like they’re positioning Allegra to be an integral part of the the Citizen, but we don’t see Iris or the Citizen enough to justify it. She doesn’t have much of a personality. She’s just there.

Chester has moments where he’s so good; those moments of vulnerability where he seems like a genuine person. But then he jumps right back into a fanboy cartoon. He’s often a caricature than a character.

3 Likes

Even though the points about Caitlin’s hesitancy to embrace a new romance aren’t wrong, that also doesn’t mean she was wrong about Mark. She was 100% right about everything she said about him on that double date, and it’s so stupid that she ended up having to apologize for it. I just will never understand why the show looked to fully redeem Mark so quickly after he tried killing Frost twice, especially considering it took Frost years to start earning her redemption. I can’t imagine I’m ever gonna be on board w/ him being a “good” guy or his relationsip w/ Frost

I’m definitely enjoying their scenes less and less considering they’re being reduced to awkwardly trying to hide their feelings for each other. I mean what’s the point? We know they’re gonna start dating, so just get to it instead of making us suffer through these scenes that are becoming more and more painful to get through

5 Likes

E7

Fun episode

Alegra and Chester still have some feelings but can’t admit it yet.

Katlyn and Frost some relationship trouble and sisterly bonding. Got a chuckle out of cold as ice being there song of choice.

Barry dealing with a change in the CCPD. As usual doesn’t want to the easy thing and take joes advice and wants to try something else as usual.

Goldface invades in search for the meta bullets. Fine stuff with him and his right hand. The get out of the jam as we learn Kramer wants help with her powers. Nice end with the identity real and now a new partnership is born.

Iris still with temporal glitches or something. And they seem to be getting worse.

What wrong with Iris? How will Kramer’s training go? Is Flash’s “level up” going to get to his head? All this and more Same Flash Time Same Flash Channel

4 Likes
3 Likes

I didn’t like this episode very much. If I had a dollar for every conversation or scene put in this episode specifically for a relationship I’d have a million dollars and I’d rather be poor at this point.

I don’t mind one or two of these but between Allegra/Chester, Frost/Mark, Cait/Marcus, and Iris/Barry (though they weren’t together in this episode), I am just so tired of everyone being coupled off. I’d rather everyone was single at this point.

Also, Frost is dating Mark and Caitlyn is dating someone named Marcus? That’s… that’s just bad. (Unless Dr. Ficus is a comic character I don’t know about then I take back this comment.)

As for what I did like, Goldface was fun. Kramer and Barry’s side adventure was a lot of fun. I hope Amunet Black is coming back. She is always hilarious to have around.

I think I like what they are doing with Iris. I’m assuming this is the fallout of what she had to do with the Still Force at the end of last season.

But, yeah, I hope future episodes are better. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Tried looking that up and couldn’t find anything but that doesn’t me he’s. C it I’d be just obscure and hard to find. :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m praying that they’ll do better lol

3 Likes
4 Likes

I really wish Legends of Tomorrow was among the renewals. I hate saying it, but I think The Flash is a bit past its prime. Legends of Tomorrow is still going strong.

5 Likes

Hooray for Superman & Lois, and “I wish you luck” for The Flash. I do hope that The Flash S9 will be it’s last. I loved the first 3 seasons and I enjoyed S4 and S5, but after that, I’ve just been waiting for Barry to hit the finish line.

4 Likes

Big understatement right there, and you’re certainly not alone in feeling that way. Flash is the show I wish I could quit, but I’m just in way too deep to turn back now

It’s interesting that the showrunner said the season 8 finale will actually function like a series finale, but it’d definitely be even better for them to take plenty of time to craft a fully proper ending for the show. They’ll beat out Arrow for the longest-running Arrowverse show now, but there’s really no need to keep dragging it out so long like this

5 Likes

I did read that article and though it could work ending at S8, the CW did greenlight Season 9 last night, along with Superman & Lois S3 (Thank you, God) Kung Fu & Riverdale. So another year of watching Barry run after hearing another sad story lol. Maybe we could finally hear Eobard say “It was me, Barry. I wrote Cisco out of the series, so we could drag this sh*t out for the Chester & Allegra storyline”

4 Likes

That’d certainly be an interesting way to keep Thawne around :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah Legends and Batwoman both not listed. Hopefully they will even if it just for final seasons at the very least.

2 Likes

After tonight’s episode, given that we’re now dealing w/ a killer who uses cold fusion, it made me think of a certain nuclear man. I’m thinking there could be a connection to Ronnie since we know he’s coming back :eyes:

3 Likes

Seeing The Hotness again was cool. I like that Barry never gave up on him. While it tied to personal reasons for him, he didn’t throw in the towel…which is more than I can say for Team Flash. Wow, they wrote them poorly in this episode!

The Iris and Allegra stuff had potential…until she gave Allegra a pass on going rogue and writing her own story. I get for the sake of the show Iris can’t reprimand Allegra too much for not following her assignment, if it was a terrible story she was assigned to, but still, that’s not a good look.

Then they did the turn where Allegra apologizes to the other reporter, but gets called out for her actions/being rewarded for going off the assignment and suddenly the other reporter is the antagonist? Yes, she’s kind of a mean girl, but was she wrong to be upset with Allegra who was dismissive during the interview and then went off to do her own thing? It feels like a wasted opportunity for character growth.

Next week is going to be interesting, though. I think we can all guess who this possible serial killer is, but what’s the motive and how is he back?

4 Likes

I definitely enjoyed this week’s episode more than last week’s. At the very least we didn’t have more of the Allegra/Chester thing and more of Frost and Cait fighting. That isn’t to say the Iris/Allegra subplot didn’t have problems. I do think Iris should have reprimanded Allegra pretty strenuously for going ahead and writing the story on her own. I really can’t blame Taylor for being angry at Allegra. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing The Hotness again. And it will be interesting to see who this cold fusion serial killer is.

4 Likes