Finally Finished the Robin/Nightwing Chuck Dixon Era!

(Just so no one thinks I’m stealing: Comic covers and Bruce edited in. Rest of the less attractive stuff is all me :sweat_smile:)

They were my very first DC comics a bajillion years ago! I lost track of the hobby during university, and only started up again a few years back. Rather than jumping into Rebirth and New 52, I picked up where I left off. It’s been slow going, but I just passed the Chuck Dixon threshold!

This is a little sketching fun I had in personal celebration. I tried to mimic the 90s art style. How’d I do? aside from Dick’s wonky arm

Anyway! When I read that Devin Grayson was going to take over for Nightwing, I got really excited. I liked what I had read of Gotham Knights (up to issue 30 or so), as well as her part in various crossover storylines. Then, peeking around the web, I saw a lot of people were unhappy with her Nightwing. Like, really, really unhappy.

I’ll try to go on with no expectations either way, but deep down I’m a little :fearful:.

Without spoiling me, what’d you guys think of the post-Dixon era? Would anyone recommend skipping ahead?

26 Likes

I love this! And such a cool idea to memorialize these moments!

4 Likes

This is awesome!

4 Likes

@biff_pow @AnonymousHQ

Thank you guys!

5 Likes

@CynicalPink That is fantastic artwork!

5 Likes

Love the art!

Having discovered Dixon’s work only since I’ve been on DC Universe, I love his stuff, especially Nightwing. I reread the full run recently, and it’s a wonderfully interconnected story.

As far as Devin Grayson’s run goes, I’ll say that I have liked some things she’s done (haven’t read Gotham Knights but her Titans is excellent), but she dropped the ball with Nightwing in spectacular fashion. It’s particularly rough if you’re a fan of Dixon’s run. I’d say give it a chance, especially since there are some good parts of it, but temper your expectations.

7 Likes

@TravisMorgan and @JeepersItsTheJamags, thank you!

And that sucks to hear from you, Jamags, since I agree on a lot of your reviews. Ah well. I’ll still give it a cautious go and remind myself I always have the Dixon days to relive if things get too bad. I think, in interviews, I read Dick was her favorite DC character at one point, too. Wonder if that love of character made it harder to write what was best for him.

5 Likes

Really love this :heart: Night wing drawing mustaches is hilarious. :rofl:

5 Likes

I would read it. That drawing is insane. I absolutely love it!!!

3 Likes

Thanks, @WonderWoman_85!

And you too @capo-mage for compliments and reading rec!

3 Likes

Anytime!!!

3 Likes

Wonderful!! Killer croc and bmans face ftw.

Haha ty! Well those parts I uhhh borrowed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Foot meet mouth :woman_facepalming: still really wonderful.

1 Like

:rofl: no harm done! And ty!

1 Like

The detail on those comic covers is amazing! I’m assuming you just photoshopped them in, but they look like you drew them yourself!

@Nightroia haha , yes! I can’t take any credit for the covers, aside from distorting them a bit!

1 Like

Nightwing just made my whole morning! lol
Love that you included some of your first comics, too. Gives it a playful sentimentality. I dig it.:ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

@Razzzcat Thanks! Wanted to mix the day’s daily practice with some nostalgia!

1 Like

@CynicalPink You’ve got a knack for setting a scene for portraiture—Keep it up!

1 Like