Finally Finished the Robin/Nightwing Chuck Dixon Era!

The Nightwing comic wasn’t bad, but, purely from my own perspective, it felt like a big step backwards from all the character development in Titans. For more than fifteen years, effort was taken to show him growing into his own hero, only for him to be suddenly snapped back into Batman’s orbit, pushed into being a loner-type hero, and forced into a relationship with Babs, for seemingly no other reason than to firmly tie him back into the Bat-titles. It’s also the source of the idea that Dick Grayson’s a ladies man, something that only exists so that they could explain why Dick was with Starfire when they were now insisting that he was only ever in love with Babs.

Plus, it kind of sometimes felt like they were channeling Frank Miller’s Daredevil run, with Blockbuster as Kingpin and Tarantula as Elektra. Daredevil’s kind of a loner, though. Presenting Nightwing as a loner doesn’t really work, at least not for me.

As far as Devin Grayson’s Nightwing run is concerned, remember; she had Tarantula force herself on Nightwing while he said no but was too injured to stop her. When called on this, Devin Grayson’s response was: “I never used the word ‘rape,’ I just said it was non-consensual.” In her defense, she’s since realized she was wrong and apologized, although she still took the time to blame at least some of the negative backlash against Tarantula (and her run in general) as “a knee-jerk misogynistic reaction.”

2 Likes

@J3D28F.17202 Ooooh, so this is where that scene comes into play. I had heard of the Nightwing r@pe before, but didn’t know when or with whom it happened. Well, bleh.

And yeah, with the Daredevil analogy, I can’t really picture Dick fitting into that specific setup.

I’m going to have to take it all as it comes and try to glean what good I can out of the run, like Jamags mentioned.

Thanks for sharing your two cents!

1 Like

I feel like there’s so much I haven’t read that I want to. I Stopped reading Dixon’s ongoing Robin series pretty early and I have yet to pick it back up.

If you like violent stories, read his Levon Cade series of books. I haven’t read anything Dixon wrote that I didn’t like. His indie comics and his books are way more brutal than his stories at marvel and DC. I think some writers thrive when they’re censored. Not old Chuck.

That comic con booth is great!

1 Like

Thank you @c-m-woodworks! And I enjoyed Dixon enough that I’d be interested in seeing what else is out there. I’ve bookmarked your reply so I can look up Levon Cade sometime, so ty for the rec!

1 Like

I love this @CynicalPink. I feel terrible Im always late commenting on ppl art. I get busy and feel like I’m missing things . I really appreciate it when you tag me for the challenges. And this is amazing work.

2 Likes

@Viciousdark No worries at all! You see me constantly missing pieces and commenting WAY too late all the time in the group. You’re always kind and supportive to everyone, and people get that life gets busy.

And thank you!

1 Like

Amazing idea with this, love it!

I haven’t read Dixon’s Nightwing series, but I did buy the first two trades for his Robin. Loved it, and would have kept buying them had DC not discontinued them, but alas here I am. The stuff I read cemented Tim Drake as my favorite Robin; I find him to be the best balance of the bunch. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @LJM93! Glad to have another Tim fan around! Agreed about him being the most balanced; he’s one of the characters I could imagine actually knowing in the real world, for the most part. I think that’s part of what made him so likable to a lot of us. You should try Dixon’s Nightwing, btw, if you have the paid DCU subscription!

2 Likes

Thank you @CynicalPink! I am a big fan of Dick Grayson/Nightwing as well (obviously, based on my avatar lol)! I do have the DCU paid subscription and just got a Fire Tablet, so I have it on my books to read list. I just read Robin Year One not long ago, which was pretty great.

1 Like

@LJM93 Did you pick up the Robin 80th special? I haven’t read yet, but I know there’s a thread for it around here where you can meet some other Tim fans

The only Dixon I’ve read more than a couple issues of is his Green Arrow, which sadly is still not on DC Universe (except for a handful of issues that are part of crossovers). It’s excellent.

2 Likes

Aw, man. Well ty for the rec! Hopefully it winds up here someday.

1 Like