Favorite Version of Supergirl?

I always think of PG separate free SG.

Lived the 2009 Power Girl series and her appearance in Superman/Batman Public Enemies.

Power Girl embraces her…endowments, shall we say, and owns her sexuality and sensuality and is unapologetic for it. I think of her as a much more empowering female charter than SG, because of this. Supergirl plays the “America’s sweetheart”. Power Girl is “Yeah I’ve got a bunch of cleavage, but I just saved your ass from a burning building. So the eyes are up here.”

4 Likes

Kinda like Megatron and Galvatron hehe

1 Like

@DeSade-acolyte, well said and I agree.

Gibby, ^^lol!

1 Like

Original Silver-age version

5019720-4694235732-plast.jpg

2 Likes

If we’re talking about non-Comics media, the answer is the Arrowverse’s SG.

If we’re talking comics, the answer is the post-Crisis Linda Danvers “Earth- Born Angel” SG that Peter David created.

1 Like

Pre-crisis then Matrix. The rest have been copies of one or the other.

1 Like

Superhero Girls v 2.0 Supergirl:

She is my favorite right from the four part pilot. She’s tough. She seems indifferent to most girlie things. All her stuff is banged up due to rough handling. She clearly loves the superhero stuff. All she needs to do is become an adult…

1 Like

Maybe not the best but give it up for Linda Danvers, Peter David’s creation after Kara sacrificed herself. The entire David run is very good.

2 Likes

Personally, Superman Unbound and the Post-Crisis Kara versions are my favorites because they’re not as overly nice as most other versions. I liked the contrast to Superman with the impulsive, easily annoyed Supergirl who would probably be far more willing to cross lines Clark wouldn’t if it weren’t for his guidance. I also liked the Injustice Supergirl.

I can’t stand the writing for the Arrowverse Supergirl but Melissa Benoist does a great job with that weak script and brings a charm to the role that makes it bearable in the crossover episodes.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say I was ever a big fan, but I kind of found Matrix Supergirl interesting with her different set of powers and her relationship with Luthor. I’m not sure I ever saw it culminate in an amazing story, but there was potential there.

I’d say least interesting was SAS Supergirl. I never felt that version, but I haven’t seen a lot of her either.

2 Likes

Comics: Pre-New 52 Kara. She’s the titular character of my favorite arc from Superman/Batman and what is generally my favorite Supergirl ongoing as well.

Outside comics: Helen Slater for when I was a kid as she was one of my first exposures to the character. When I was a teen, the STAS version was definitely my favorite.

3 Likes

Outside media, it has to be my first exposure to the character which was the S:TAS version.

Comics-wise, I think my favorite take was the New 52 version. Yes, her costume had some…interesting choices, but I loved the character arc she had with how she grieved over the loss of her home planet and eventually came to find a home on Earth.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay I dug her New 52 series too. For me, it’s the best Superman title of The New 52 that didn’t star Superman.

2 Likes

I haven’t read New 52 SG beyond the first arc with H’el, Tycho, and the Worldkillers, but I enjoyed that Kara was a bit more angry and angsty than we’d seen her before.

I’ve also never had the issues with her costume that others seem to.

2 Likes

Also, the underlying premise of Peter David’s SG run would make an awesome TV series, with or without the Superman mythos connections.

5 Likes

Two Supergirls for one.

Supergirl by Peter David. Issues 75 through 80.

A rocket containing the original Supergirl, Kara Zor el, lands on Earth.

Supergirl Linda Danvers finds her and takes her under her wing.

The increase in maturity that Kara experiences in this arc is impressive. She never loses her sweetness and naivety, but her will becomes that of iron.

Later Linda experiences the Earth Kara was supposed to land on, and it is Utopia to her, from having a picnic with the super pets to a world were villians only rob banks, never killing.

2 Likes

Even though Supergirl cosplayers don’t count, they make me very happy!!

2 Likes

The Linda Danvers Supergirl. I dont know if I fully forgave DC for ousting Peter David for Jeph Loeb yet.

1 Like

@Shanty

I’ll look her up!

1 Like

A tie between Paul Levitz’ Supergirl (Post-Great Darkness Saga) & PAD’s Supergirl.

1 Like