EXTRA EXTRA, Read All About it! HBO MAX Cancel Batman: Caped Crusader!

I’ve just now read a terrible news from Facebook, as I look for another source, I found this link…

I’m really upset by this and was looking forward to this!
One of the reason I was doing A Year Of Batman The Animated Series was looking forward to the new series beside celebrating 30 years. :frowning:

10 Likes

Other sources picking it up now…

J.J. Abrams and Bruce Timm’s Batman: Caped Crusader Series Canceled at HBO Max (comicbook.com)

Wowww, that is seriously disappointing. What do you want to bet a lot of the voice work was already recorded and some animation already completed?

So I guess we’ll get another litany of excuses about how they are all about quality and not just quantity. Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams…yeah, it probably all sucked with those names attached, in the same way that Batgirl sucked. It’s not like they are penny-pinching corporate morons who would’t know quality if it bit them on the…

8 Likes

From what it looks like it not canceled just won’t air in HBOMAX. Most likely Cartoon Network or there new service said to be out next year.

10 Likes

Its still coming out, its just not coming to HBOMAX.

Why the idiots at Discovery are so anti-animation I have no idea. But hopefully it comes back to bite them in the bum in the long run.

Oh well guess I’ll cancel my HBOMAX subscription soon since they don’t seem to care about animation fans such as myself.

Guess I’ll watch this when it lands on Netflix or wherever.

8 Likes

I said HBO Max cancel the series, I didn’t really say the series was cancel which I’m thankful, I’m more concern when it come out, will I be able to see it on different streaming service? Boomerang would be a great choice, hope it goes there since it needs a good update.

7 Likes

Very high quality but also some famous lows.

The peak of low quality.

6 Likes

All the articles I’ve read have said that Caped Crusader and the other projects are still in production, but are right now being shopped around to other networks/streamers.

I think maybe Fox/FXX would be a good one for them. Fox has aired shows like Gotham and the early episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, and FXX has aired DC properties like Y: The Last Man and have some animation cred in the form of Archer.

8 Likes

Because they don’t want to diloot the HBO brand. Pretty much all the shows being removed/cancalled are kid-friendly and they don’t fit with the established image of HBO in the minds of the people.

HBO is an adult brand and not a kid one. Discovery isn’t anti-animation since Harley Quinn is very likely to get a season 4 AND its getting a spin-off. But Harley Quinn fits the HBO brand because its a TV-MA adult cartoon. Shows like Uncle Grandpa or Summer Camp Island don’t really fit the HBO brand and only serve to water it down.

5 Likes

Well, Caped Crusader was originally going to be on both Cartoon Network and HBO Max. Plus WBD has been gutting A LOT of Cartoon Network content, so I think they’re honestly just going to dump it entirely. They also wouldn’t have even made this announcement if it was going to be on the combined app.

JJ Abrams has his misses as a writer/director, sure, but as a producer, he’s been very successful. He’s responsible for some of the most popular, well-regarded and successful TV shows, like Alias, Lost, Fringe, Person of Interest, Lovecraft Country, Westworld…

8 Likes

If that were true HBO Family channels wouldn’t exist on regular cable.

This isn’t about protecting the “HBO Brand” Discovery is being blatantly anti-animation and its insulting to the medium and all that work in it!

They’re purposely burning bridges and hurting an industry/art form for no good reason!

7 Likes

Bruh what are they doing over there at DC :rage: :rage: :rage:

4 Likes

Money. Good old sexy money

6 Likes

It isn’t just DC, it’s their animation block in general. Recently, WBD also just took down a bunch of animated projects from HBO Max that were on the service for yet more tax write offs. I think this puts it best:

9 Likes

Short term money. Good luck getting any up and coming talent or keeping the ones you have around when you routinely do crap like this, and that’s going to lose you money in the long term.

7 Likes

Short term profits are long term losses, but modern corporations are often too greedy/glutinous/evil to see/understand that

6 Likes

I don’t like either of them that much, but I feel like they would both bring out the best in each other.

5 Likes

Abram’s best is… weird lights?

Timm needs somebody who will keep his bad ideas in check such as James Tucker. Abrams sounds like way too big of a nerd to do that to the man many consider the greatest DC creator.

6 Likes

The reason I believe that they would make a great team is that I liked Abrams’ directing of the first Star Trek movie but was not a fan of most of the ideas, whereas Timm is a good ideas man but, as you said, needs someone to keep him in check.

6 Likes

Timm is not just ideas but also art and many of the small details.

6 Likes

Comics and Animation are consistently the most groundbreaking and trailblazing storytelling mediums in all the world and I’m darn sick and of rich jerks and corporate CEO’s treating them like they’re lowbrow and disposable!

Animation deserves so much better!

I hope everyone screwed over by WBD gets work at better studios! I know Disney has multiple animated series in production, maybe they could get work there.

7 Likes